*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. ProdTog

ProdTog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably depends on your OS. If you're using Win 7, create a power plan with Control Panel->Power Options that maxes out all the various settings when unplugged, then activate it.

2. wowbrandon

wowbrandon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You I thought that might be it. But I made a custom power plan with everything pushed towards performance and still it creeps.

3. Cook3

Cook3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just for update.

HP was unable to downgrade the BIOS so they changed my motherboard by an other one with the previous BIOS.

I seems HP is still uninformed of this issue. HP support level n+1 lied to HP support level n told them they try it and 90W adapter works flawlessly with BIOS F20. For sure they don't try.

I'm sure they finally decided to change my motherboard because I became quite angry and I strongly ask a way to revert back to previous BIOS. So they changed my motherboard to stop the complain of an angry customer but they don't belived me.

Of course now, with bios F0B it's works. perfectly.

By the way I asked for a new screen to solve the problem of not color calibrated DC2 screen. The HP support asked me for a picture of the screen problem. I tried to explain them a not color calibrated screen cannot be seen on a picture as picture change color. no chance. HP support finally ask me :

So you want we change the DC2 screen right ? (I understand they belived I'm a kind of mental disorder customer can see color than a camera cannot see and can stop a 90w adapter to work)

So, now, I have a new screen, color calibrated, with rigth profile name in the DC2 manager, and my 90w adapter works again like a charm.

I just wonder my file on HP database is tagged with something like "mental disorder customer, do what he want if you want have rest"

:) :)

4. okubicek

okubicek Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I bought used FX3800M. After installing computer boots to windows, but there is no display. I tried external, both DisplayPort and VGA. I hope the card will work with nvidia bios included in F.0B bios, but how can I flash is without screen?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ondrej

5. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update on this.
    Following your recommendation, I purchased Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0, but I forgot to apply the product to my lid. Today I've done that and the result has been bad :(:(:(

I applied ScratchX 2.0 over the scratch and you can see the new "haze" (brighter area marked with a red circle) on the surface on the following photo:
    [​IMG]

Not even the scratch has been hidden, but the scratch is more noticeable now.

So DON'T APPLY SCRATCHX on any aluminum part of the 8740w. You have been warned. This product is very abrasive and is not intended for brushed metal like the brushed aluminum parts of our laptop. For now, I have to stand with this, because I don't have enough money to buy a new screen (DreamColor 2! very expensive) at this moment.

I hope this is useful for anyone in the same boat like me.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I didn't know I was running 32-bit Windows 7 until a few minutes ago. I had to start over when I installed an SSD a few weeks back.

It makes the 8GB of RAM I installed kind of pointless though I didn't use close to half of it anyway, even in heavy Photoshop CS5.

I've had zero crashes since I installed the SSD; before that I was getting almost daily freezes (seemed to happen when Flash was active). When I installed the SSD/Windows 32-bit I also switched to Firefox; so I don't know which one of those variables ultimately solved the crashes. Or even what the issue was.

7. Flunkie

Flunkie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Made an account just to post here and try to get some help.

i7-720M @1.60, M7820 here.

When I first got my 8740w, I was in love. It blazed through the most recent games, and I was really, really happy with everything. Fast forward a year, everything starts screeching to a half. My games become choppier and choppier, and I start overheating more frequently. I installed MSI Afterburner so that I could crank up the fan in my GPU in order to calm things down, and it was like throwing pennies at a barn.

For example: Orcs Must Die, on Steam. When it first came out, I was able to run it maxed out at 1920x1200 without a hitch, smooth as butter. Now, I struggle to keep it above 30 on average, and it literally grinds to a halt anytime I'm near (or even looking at) any particles or light sources. For a game that uses quite a bit of this for the traps (it's a tower defense game, for those who don't know), it's pretty annoying. It's like someone took out my M7820 and replaced it with an integrated card. That's just the tip of the iceburg. I have long been able to run the most recent games flawlessly (on a good mix of medium/high/very high, depending on the game) - now, I can't play Team Fortress 2 without it stuttering. That's unheard of.

All signs (to me, at least) point to an impeding GPU failure. I feel like it's only a matter of time. Frustrated that I can't just replace it either, like I could a desktop with a flick of a wrist.

I'm really frustrated by this issue; anyone else have any similar problems, and more importantly, solutions?

8. Star Forge

Star Forge Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Reputations:
    The back lid is often a separate part from the panel so you can go and just get the back lid and assemble. You don't need to get another DC2 Panel just to get the back LCD panel... :rolleyes:

9. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Star_Forge:

Thank you for the reply, but the lid swap is not an easy task. You must disassemble the bezel; remove the ambient light sensor, display, microphone, webcam, WLAN and WWAN antennas and cables; also remove the hinges and its hinge covers; remove the webcam and microphone modules... and so on.

Clearly it's not a DIY task. Not even official HP techs are authorized to do that, I know. I need a special technician and that cost a lot, less than a new entire screen but its cost is high. See pages 80-86 in the service manual to get a picture of this.

I do not recommend anyone disassemble the display unless you know pretty well what you're doing.

10. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    i think what you are suffering from is a bad case of thermal throttling my friend.

You state that you're having to up the fan, i would have a look and see if you need to clean out your elitebook, if you haven't already.

Games / everything will stutter if the heat is causing the system to slow down because it's getting too hot.

grab the service manual and have a look at how dirty your machine is. could probably do with a repaste and clean after a year!

Sio