*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    May be your HP MDA luminance value is in sync with the windows brightness value. That's why you don't see a difference.

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I assumed it was related to my regular crashing. I'm guessing having Windows shut down instantly does bad things. Not sure how much more of this self-imposed punishment I can take.

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I change the brightness quite often from 40 to 210 but most of the time it's around 100. When ambient light changes it can jump to +-10 around the value currently set in the MDA. And of course, as soon as you change it in the MDA the windows brightness value changes accordingly. That's how it should be, IMHO. I still don't see a problem.

You should be pushing towards a proper replacement, you know that. At the very least, they must replace your mobo.

4. knight427

Reputations:
    I have only myself to blame at this point. I could have a new machine by now, but I have to wait until DC2 is cleared of some outstanding problem...my tech refuses to take the risk of sending me yet another faulty machine, so I opted to wait instead of settling for less than requested (which is way more than I paid for...so again, nothing to pin on HP here).

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah, in that case I'd do the same - wait. DC2 is well worth it :)

6. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Possible DC2 problem? I'll love to hear if ramp.psd displays as a smooth gradient for you in 10-bit mode. :rolleyes:

7. knight427

Reputations:
    Well, I don't intend to use 10-bit mode, I just want the pretty colors (and the wide viewing angles...actually it's mostly the viewing angles). :D

8. KarelR

KarelR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ordered the Intel Core i7 940XM today and will replace my current 840QM (840 will goto a Dell m6500 of a colleague)

Have a strange problem.

The SSD in the upgrade bay is not started when I enter Windows, after I run Intel Matrix Storage Console and do a rescan the drive is found and works with no problems. When I restart windows it's the same again and the drive is not active. To prevent that I have to rescan the drive each session of windows I was wondering is someone has the same problem or a solution.

9. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @m8o, can you try the ATI method of verifying the ramp.psd using the CS5 32 bit program? (Want to see if it makes any difference) I don't have access to my 8740W now, so can't try it right away.

10. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, CS5 is the way I'd been doing it, following the instructions from the PDF. (I did not know there's another way to test; unless you mean just draw/paint a 16-bit gradient, in which case I've always seen every integer division of gray on the 8-bit boundary when I do that)