*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Wizman

thank you for sharing, great job with all the pictures! :)

and such a "cheap" solution, too.

I still have one question: will the caddy supplied with your 8740w (primary drive) fit into the upgrade bay? because this would make sense, just swapping drives, physically ;)

2. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    From every picture I've seen, it appears to be the exact same caddy, so yes. In fact, the caddy that Wizman links to on eBay (and that NewModeUS also sells... for 30-odd dollars), is advertised as a primary bay caddy/bracket.

3. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    well i've been told some of the prelimary results from our colour tests of the screens, and i'm not sure, because our results differ quite a bit from the anandtech ones.

I'll post up shortly.

I'm only out here for another 2 weeks, so my availability to many 8740w's will come to an end until june next year. So... if you want any other tests or benches, please let me know before wednesday please.

Sio

4. oltsa555

oltsa555 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thx for the tips guys but I'll probably just go with one of their pre-configured models that I can find from Finland. (Mostly because the ease of it and to get finnish layout on the keyboard)

5. oltsa555

oltsa555 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wizman, great post!

HP 230W Advanced Docking Station NZ223AA
    [​IMG]

Anyone happen to know if the hard drive cradle that comes with the above docking station will fit into 8740w's upgrade bay? And if it does, will it have bracket included?

I emailed HP about it but their reply was pretty vague - "Yes, they're swappable". Meaning that same parts fit into docking station and 8740w I guess.

My idea is to remove optical drive from 8740w and stick it into docking station and use the hard drive cradle that comes with the docking station to assembly another hard drive into 8740w's upgrade bay.

6. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bet there is no cradle coming with the docking station, you can put in the optical drive of course or the cradle mentioned above for the hard disk but you have to buy the cradle as an accessory

(I have two older advanced docking stations for other models and none of them came with a cradle only some kind of cover for the hole)

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I wonder if the results are closer to those posted by Notebookcheck.
    Can't wait... :radar:

8. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    On the bright side, they are only offering Quadro FX4000M on the M6600. My card (FX5000M) will still be 1000 points better! :p

9. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is no hard drive cradle included, just a piece of plastic to cover the opening. On a somewhat unrelated note, the newmodeus cradle fits in the docking station perferctly, unlike the notebook itself.

10. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck gave a very good score to our baby :rolleyes: Also notice the values achieved by the DreamColor display are better than the published on Anandtech:
    Watch carefully the contrast: an awesome 965:1!!! :eek: The official specs state that typical (read 'real') contrast for this display is 800:1. Anandtech claims the measured contrast is ONLY 659:1. Also notice the nice black point: only 0.23cd/m2, whereas Anandtech claims it's 0.41cd/m2. It's clearly noticeable one of the sources is wrong, but which one? :confused: