*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adshakil

adshakil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did this thing ever got resolved. My OCZ is not really performing upto the standard. I tried both SSDs and same thing. Amazingly slow. Any suggestions?

2. adshakil

adshakil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here is mine

[​IMG]

3. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is the Tom2D benchmark. Looks like the newer Dell drivers provide quite the improvement over your numbers Aikimox.
    [​IMG]

As for my hack:

You need to look at these two files (assuming x64):
    \Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\C7_95796.inf - HP's FirePro Drivers
    \Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\C7103067.inf - Dell's FirePro Drivers

Take the entire "[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1]" section from HP's INF and overwrite the same section in Dell's INF. Apparently the device id's are a bit different.

This is the actual section from HP's INF that you need to overwrite Dell's INF with:
    I was able to update the video card manually through Window's device manager.

I wasn't able to get the catalyst setup from the Dell to install the new display drivers. It was able to update other things like the displayport audio driver. I'm guessing you to update more sections of the INF and/or other files.

You can get the updated M7820 drivers from Dell.

If I ever get the motivation, maybe I'll work on getting Mobility Radeon drivers to work with our FirePro's!

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I see the improvement but it's still less than a half of what Gaah scored here.

Would be great if we could use the 5870 drivers, but we don't know if the DC2 will be fully supported (I mean the 10-bit mode).

5. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's amazingly slow? 4k speeds magnitudes faster than hdds?

6. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For all those that have SSD's installed and are having low 4k scores (assuming all), please report it as a problem to HP. I have raised it to my HP engineer. He is going to test it out with a Intel SSD and confirm and work on resolving it. The more the people report this issue, we will have a resolution/reason for the same.

7. Thecla

Thecla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haven't visited here for a while. Glad to see everyone is still going strong, including you HiddenUser even if I gather you still don't have your laptop. :)

I ran CrystalDiskMark a while back and didn't know what to make of it then, so I ran it again and the results are still pretty strange:

[​IMG]

You tell me what that all means. :)

8. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ask and you shall receive. I got the 5870 drivers working! The steps are kind of similar to hacking the Dell drivers. But before going through with my steps, I recommend uninstalling your existing FirePro drivers and running driver sweeper.

I added the following to the [ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1] section of CH103697.inf from the latest Catalyst Mobility 10.8 drivers:
    Update the display manually through Window's device manager, pointing directly at the modified inf. Restart your machine. Then run the catalyst setup.

I still get the workstation area which has the "Enable 10-bit pixel format support" option. I don't have a DC2 panel to test this though.

Here's the download for the latest Catalyst mobility drivers:

9. adshakil

adshakil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was particularly referring to the write speed.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    That's just great! Can you run that benchmark now?

Need to wait a few more hours before the system allows me to rep you. Great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.