*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    After running Tom2D benchmark I got the following result:

[​IMG]

Looks pretty pathetic.
    Still, I don't really care bout something I can't normally notice. My older 2D games rock just as well as the newest titles, so I'll camp till the new driver appears with no worries.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update to my earlier post.

There is BL light leak in the top below the camera in my new panel. Should i be worried? Can't tell now as i can't see any effect in normal usage.

[​IMG]

For reference, below image is the old 8740W panel

[​IMG]

I was doing the Lagom LCD Test and found something interesting.
    While doing the Black Level Test My old 8740W displayed only couple of shades of black. But, my new 8740W display spot on to the ideal condition ("On an ideal monitor, all of them should be distinguishable, even the very dark first row of squares"). This makes me wonder if my old panel was indeed wrong from the get go.
    Also when i compare the 2 displays with the same image background, the new one is bit brighter than the old.
    Please note that both the display's were set to sRGB with Luminence of 115.

I would suggest you folks to do the black level test to see how your panel looks.

Here are some comparison pictures (Left one is New 8740W, Right one is old 8740W).

1. Black Level Test
    [​IMG]

2. Desktop Compare - 1
    [​IMG]

3. Desktop Compare - 2
    [​IMG]

4. Desktop Compare - 3
    [​IMG]

4. Desktop Compare - 4
    [​IMG]

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Mine looks like your left screen on the Black level test.
    Also, I don't have the light leak.

4. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't tested for light leak.

I'm not so sure mine isn't like the one on the right when in sRGB. I find sRGB has the most black clipping, then AdobeRGB, and Rec.601 gives me the most detail in the black level.

BTW, what browser(s) were you using? I've seen different results at the site linked-to with different browsers, as well as before and after changing settings in config gfx settings in Firefox.

I should get the calibrator and get serious about that part of it, as my use for this machine is something that warrants it.

5. gaah

gaah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was curious to see how bad that was, ran the same test on my chronically throttling Mobility Radeon HD 4670 w/ CATALYST 10.7/8.750.x. Scored more than double. I expect there's a big 2D performance enhancement coming to the 8740w w/ FirePro in the hopefully not too distant future.

Attached Files:

6. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    I am using Chrome. I asked my HP contact and he advised to put a requested for Panel replacement (but, just the panel is on backorder as a part alone option). He also said,i can still do the another new unit option (I hate it as this new one is perfect except the light leak).

And yes, calibration kit is the way. But, i am holding off due to the issue posted by someone couple of pages back.

@m8o and everyone
    Between, is the HP DPA really doing what it should do fully.
    Try this - once you login to windows and HP DPA is available in the rt click menu option on desktop - got to tune display. Now watch, if the screen brighten's up or dims depending on your chosen setting. My guess is, it is applied only when you do like this. Otherwise by default, it isn't..:confused:

7. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    Hope, you were in sRGB mode.

8. nycgags

nycgags Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I was emailing an HP rep, is it true that you cannot get the 8740w with the DreamColor2* (only the 8540w)? It seems like the upgrade price is the same, but 1 is 8-bit, the other, 10-bit. Both IPS displays at least I hope. Does anyone know if this is a short term thing or what?

ETA - *that you can only get the DreamColor display.

9. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @nycgags:

For the 8740w the DreamColor display is called "DreamColor". However, for the 8540w, the DC display is called "DreamColor 2". It's just a matter of terminology. Both displays have the same technology (IPS panel with 10 bit resolution per color component, RGB LED Edge backlight).

AFAIK, The WUXGA Wide Viewing Angle (WVA) is the 8-bit one, not anyone of the DreamColor displays.

10. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    The reps have no idea whatsoever on the minute details of the spec. Both are the same panel. Its just that HP misleads by calling one with a DC2 and other as DC. The issue has been beaten to death....Both 8540 and 8740 offer the same new DreamColor 10-bit panel and is IPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.