*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From what i have experienced with my longest wait in history, its worth it. You should see yours ship in the next 2 weeks for sure.
    Yes, its mostly stable as i reported in the previous post if 10bit isn't enabled. Even with 10bit enabled, its not a pain compared to crashes people had with the non DC2.
    Yes, you need to have matching sticks. Refer to this link - as long as you stick to the rule mentioned in the link, you will be fine. Also the link you referred for memory is a 240 Pin. The one HP uses is a 204 PIN and is CL9. If you want to save money, you can buy the exact same memory HP uses without the HP branding from here or search for part M471B5273CH0-CH9

---------------
    8740W | Ordered: 7-12-2010 | 620M | M7820 | 2x4GB | DC2[/QUOTE]

2. E30kid

E30kid Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If that one doesn't come back in stock, here is a G-Skill 4GB stick for $110. It's 204-pin DDR3 1333, CL9, and is in stock as of right now. Who knows if that website will get more of that unbranded HP RAM in?

For dual-channel capability, do you need the sticks to be exactly the same, or does it just have to be the same capacity and speed?

3. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    My first laptop came with Samsung RAM, the one I have now has Micron MT16JSF25664HZ-1G4F1. But I can only find it a few places and it seems really expensive for 2GB.

4. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How significant is having dual-channel (or triple/quadruple-channel?) by putting in 2, 3, or 4 of the exact same chips in, as opposed to mixing two 4GB ones and two 2GB chips? Is there really a noticeable difference?

@NBR: How much did you pay for your 4GB chips, and where did you order them from?

Thanks! :)

5. LTN184HT

LTN184HT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FastPictureViewer | Download Page

FastPictureViewer

1.0.122.0 - 2009/12/18 - Pro update: defaults to full raw conversion when jpeg preview is smaller than the screen.
    1.0.121.0 - 2009/12/07 - Added support for 30-bit display mode (Win7) and Direct3D 9Ex (Vista), bug fixes, optional alternate CMS.
    1.0.119.0 - 2009/11/30 - Right-click zooming enhancements. Also fixes a serious (but rare) bug.

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    There's no noticeable difference in performance when mixing RAM. Officially, the best is to keep all pairs the same size, but in reality, no gain or loss.

7. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    I think you addressed the question to me.. If so, i bought 2 single 4GB HP branded RAM (AT913UT) sticks from overstock.com for $133. Usually it lists @ 200+, but couldn't pass the 35% cashback.:D

8. kaliatech

kaliatech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for catching that. I totally overlooked the pin count.

Cool. Thanks. Here's a generic NewEgg search that also includes a few other brands (at higher prices): newegg search link .

9. Thecla

Thecla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't like the HP consumer notebooks at all, but I think their elitebook line is terrific.

Well, to put things in perspective, most of the stuff discussed here is us picking at little details. Here's a brief summary of the issues I've seen:

1) Every once in a while (and not at all often for me) the laptop boots into windows with a dark screen, and you have to reboot from the keyboard. This isn't a 10 bit issue, since I've been getting runinng 8-bit. (Don't know if this happens also with the non-DC2 panels).

2) Aero doesn't run with 10-bit enabled in the Catalyst control center. (This is with the ATI card -- not sure if it happens also with nvidia cards).

3) Fan remains on medium after resuming from sleep. (Known issue which is apparently fixed in an upcoming BIOS).

4) HP Display Assistant software to control DC panel is a bit funky e.g. occasionally disappears off right click screen menu.

My laptop has been completely stable out of the box. No sign of crashes with 4 DIMMs that happened on some earlier units (which is a serious issue).

I have to admit I don't need the DC2 either for my work, but since I don't like to bother with an external monitor/keyboard with my laptops I like to have the best display possible, and the DC2 is definitely very nice. It's well worth getting if you can afford the price and the wait --- but I don't know what the realistic wait time is for recent DC2 orders, so I guess you should really check with HP on that (if nothing else to demand a discount when they fail to meet their promised shipping data ;) ).

10. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    Ok Folks. Really need your inputs here from those that have experience in Installing Windows 7 on SSD.

I just received my 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. Before i go about doing anything, let me list what i am planning to do and you can correct /advice me.

1. Enable ACHI in BIOS.

2. I will put the SSD on the main Drive bay and the HDD that came along on the optical bay. Before i put the HDD on the upgrade bay, i will use it to install the OS from a DVD. Later when i am all done, remove the optical bay and put the HDD.

3. Install windows 7 - Should i use the Windows 7 restore DVD that came along with the 8740W and restore it to the SSD or clean install from a image. I read that a clean install will enable some of the nice things for a SSD by windows (like disable Defrag,etc).

4. Page file - Should i restrict the windows page file to 1GB and point it to the SSD itself or point it to HDD?

5. Use the provided HP driver DVD and install the stuffs that only need and ignore the bloatwares (though there isn't much on these elitebooks).

What do i do with the F drive(HP tools) - just copy it elsewhere and clean the HDD out or leave it alone.
    plus Anything that i missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.