*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Reminds me of the "128K? What are you going to do with all that RAM?" days... :p

I'll tell you what I'll do w/64Gigs. Disable Virtual Memory / Paging File for probably the rest of my life. :D

BTW, want to mention; don't recall reading this. Whenever I start the HP Mobile Display Assistant -> Tune Display it starts as the very bottom program on the stack of windows. And it doesn't show-up in the Start-bar list. And the HP Display Assistant icon in the start-bar notification area is worthless; right-click or double left click offers nothing useful. And it doesn't always show-up in the Alt-Tab list (sometimes does; weird). So perhaps sometimes when we think it doesn't load, we have to 'move' windows out of the way. Also, if you minimize all windows to show desktop then restore, suddenly the Display Assistant is on top.

2. Thecla

Thecla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes I see this too.

Maybe...but other times this is not the explanation. There are times where the Display Assistant disappears off my screen menu and I'm unable to start it from the start menu, or the HP software, or any other way that I can find -- I just get the hour glass that says searching for compatible display and then it goes poof (even if I wait a significant time for it to continue). It definitely has a few kinks that could be ironed out.

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    silly me... :eek:

You can disable the VM/Paging with 8GB just as easy ;)

4. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tho I find memory on a 64-bit machine doesn't go as far as it had on a 32-bit OS. ;) I suspect a whole lot of browser windows open and long session with Lightroom and PS CS5 will bang the ceiling w/8Gig.

5. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does anyone else's screen randomly turn yellowish?

6. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm running 16GB in my iMac (which co-incidentally takes notebook (SODIMM) RAM), and I'm loving it. OS X keeps frequently used programs in a state called "Inactive RAM", so besides all of my programs, which I never shut down, my Windows 7 and Linux VM's all run without any paging going on. :D

If the 16 gigs ever do run out, the flash memory of my SSD takes over, so that baby is always quiet as a mouse and furiously fast! ;)

7. TechAnimal

TechAnimal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice mate. That is what I've got planned when I upgrade except that I'll probably start off with 10gb ram

8. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hai guys! I'm enjoying my MacBook Pro (got tired of waiting for DC2) but am back to say hello and consider it again now that the DC2's seem to be trickling out.

so how are the owners of DC2 panels (and others) enjoying these things so far? I skimmed the last few pages and saw some concerns about drivers and bios...not surprising. new product and all. are any of the DC2 purchasers actually print media designers/creators or video guys?

also, what's the battery life looking like...or does nobody even try to find out? :)

thanks!

9. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update on 8-bit option: No blank screens, forced re-boot, cold boot issues, end of world screen, etc.. Looks like the default option is working fine.

I do see a bunch of logs from the 10bit enabled days. It says Windows Desktop Manager has encountered a fatal error. That is is one that does the Aero theme.

10. kaliatech

kaliatech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all. Thanks for all the info here. I'm just chiming in as another potential 8740w owner, but with thoughts of canceling. I ordered 7/12. Still no real status given as to a potential ship date though. I know there were serious delays for a while with DC2 configs, but my hope is that things are moving along consistently and more quickly now. I can't afford a significant delay and thus the M6500 keeps looking better and better. (Even an m17x looks nice if it comes in on time.)

I was never an HP fan, but I've been using an HP 8540w for the past few months because it was supplied by the client, and I've been really impressed by the build quality. I'm no longer working with the client though and they want their laptop back. Of course my own laptop (Dell M1710 w/ SSD) died about three weeks ago due to video card failure. Thus... 8740w on order. Not sure if I can wait long enough though.

The various issues being reported here are a little concerning, but seem mostly to revolve around enabling 10-bit. I ordered the DC2 to get the best screen, but I won't need 10-bit color so I'm hoping the laptop proves mostly stable out-of-the-box otherwise.

I wanted to ask if anyone has thoughts about combining 1x2GB DIMM with 1x4GB DIMM. I just need 6GB...but then realized I might be taking a performance hit since I think dual channel requires matching stick sizes? I ordered the 4GB from HP, but given HP prices, I'm thinking I might be better to cancel that and just order two 4GB from somewhere else. Like here. Thoughts?

---------------
    8740W | Ordered: 7-12-2010 | 620M | M7820 | 2x4GB | DC2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.