*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Incidentally, HP chose to deliver this piece of HW mid cycle, resulting in additional savings :)

2. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    I posted this q'n few pages back(not exactly the same as below). So i am asking again as i didn't get reply.
    Do i need to download the 400+MB file for the PCMark+all the vantage mark testing?. Is there any like a online version?

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yes, the platform is not fresh but DC2 and M7820 are the exceptions.
    I'd never jump on it if wasn't for the crazy discounts.

AFAIK, - yes you have to download the whole package.

<<< BTW, what's the the exact weight of the laptop?

4. E30kid

E30kid Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What type of discounts did you get and when were they available?

5. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    Thanks , will try that.

Just the laptop w/o the power cord/adapter is 3.6 Kg = 7.9 lbs
    Not bad for such a packed power and features. And i hate having more than 2 bay (HDD bay+Optical/HDD Bay), when technology is eve changing on the HDD capacity

My old Dell E1505 is 2.8 Kg=6.1 lbs.

6. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    Found a new issue - happened 2 times in the past 2 days.
    When the laptop is booted up in the morning (basically after a nice night/day rest) and when the screen comes up with the login (right after the windows logo), the screen flickers with RGB colors like as if its end of world and the power is going down. I will post screenshot when it happens the next time. But its resolved when i shutdown (press power button) and restart.
    Has anyone noticed it? I guess it must have something to do with 10-bit.

7. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I took a picture of it last night; dont' have time to post until about 6 or 8 hours from now. It worried me as I was like "holy crap, what do I do now", but then noticed I could determine where the power-down button was. It also reminded me of when my wife's old Sony 'laptop on a stand' lost its graphics card.

I got another one. On battery power right now and my battery is draining fast because there is no way no how for me to turn the brightness down. Ambient Light Sensor is definitely off, by every means I can find. Tried every power saver mode; everything. Cannot control the brightness. (and the ATI menu option when I right click the desktop is gone and I can't figure out how to get it back!)

8. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just installed 2 more sticks of RAM... opening up the keyboard is a pain.

And you need to install HP Quicklaunch drivers to get your fn+f9-f11 to work. fn+f11 is the light sensor, by the way.

9. NotebookGrail

Reputations:
    As i am new to SSD world, need someone to guide me with the right configuration for Photo Work.
    I bought a OCZ Vertex 2 XE 240GB SSD (~$484 after all rebates and CB's).
    I am planning to put that in the optical bay (already purchased a HP Optical Bay HDD caddy from newmodeus.com)
    Now i know that its best to install OS and all the apps on the SSD. Regarding the photo processing, should i point the temp file location for working with images to the SSD or the HDD?. I will turn off Cache from the photo processing software as it is not helpful when having a powerful processor.
    I am planning to save the processed images in the internal HDD and then move to external 1TB HDD on a scheduled basis.

This is as far as i know. So please provide your valuable suggestions.

10. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've given that some thought... put the SSD in the primary HDD slot (assuming you're installing your OS on it... and if you don't install your OS on it, it's kind of a waste) and the storage HDD into the optical bay caddy. Why? Because if you ever decide to put your DVD drive back in, you'd have to remove your OS drive, which means your computer won't be useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.