*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thecla

Thecla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    According to Crystal Disk Info

Crystal Dew World - Software - CrystalDiskInfo

the 256GB Samsung drive does support TRIM (also SMART, 48bit LBA, and NCQ, but not APM or AAM, whatever that all means...)

As it's set, the QuickLook button launches (or in my case tries to launch and gives a login error in 20 different languages) outlook if the computer is off and launches the HP software setup when the computer is on --- not sure if the button can be remapped, but that would be nice.

Sure, I'll try this as soon as I have the chance. (I'm afraid I'm a lapsed linux user who's regressed to windows.)

Yes the 2 x 4GB RAM I got from HP separately was Samsung, and it came with 2 x 2GB Samsung RAM installed --- not sure about how the details compare (the trial version of Everest I installed only give info about DIMM no. 1!)

2. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    I've found a website to check on HP warranty (mine confirms that the 3/3/3 standard warranty includes on-site):
    Warranty check - IT Resource Center

Serial number should be on the invoice (the part where it says SER#:). The product number is the item number on the invoice (from the line BU IDS Quad 8540w in my case).

3. E30kid

E30kid Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I want to replace my Vertex 2 with a higher capacity drive already. The G3s were the reason why I bought this thing in such a low capacity anyway.

Why is the 7820 less expensive than the other graphics options in the CTO configurator? I've been wondering about that as it seems to be based upon the HD 5870 and it seems to be pretty good at most everything.

4. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you try this HWINFO32 and post the name of each model dimm?

5. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The fact and reality is by the time G3 is affordable(price wise), there will be talks of G4. IMO the best time to buy any piece of hardware is somewhere mid-life cycle.

Instead of thinking that the 7820 is less expensive - think as "why is NVIDIA expensive?". The reason its expensive becos of all the various certifications they go thru and there is a premium we pay for that. The 7820 also goes thru certain level of certification, but not to the extend of NVIDIA. I might be wrong, but this is what i believe.

6. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    I think that's exactly what Nvidia CEO/CTO said in an article earlier this year. If I find the article I'll post the link here.

7. Thecla

Thecla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's what it gives me:

8. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just ran 3DMark06:

HP 8740w

Default settings @ 1280x1024
    Core i7 840QM, ATI FirePro M7820
    4032 MB RAM

13,241 3dMarks
    SM2.0: 5410
    HDR/SM3.0: 6344
    CPU: 3395

9. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Nice, did you have the new driver installed? Did you do anything special, that's 200 over my best-of-two runs.

EDIT: oh, I just noticed you have 840 over my 820...if you have time can you run all the stuff I did...click on the 3dMark06 link in my sig...I also have PCMark Vantage an 3DMark Vantage I need to put in there.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    What about the piece of hardware you're using to type this message? ;) :p

480M doesn't have all those mysterious certifications and yet it costs 3x the MR5870 :) for a very little gain in performance. Not to mention that it requires an incapsulating heatsink and is cooled by 2 fans in Clevo's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.