*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same here...

2. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm having trouble with the smart card reader picking up my CAC. Does anyone know what is the actual driver for the smart card reader?

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    So, disabling the 10-bit will turn the display into a "regular" RGB LED?

BTW, how is the brightness?
    On my RGB LED I'm forced to keep it 50-60% even in brightly lit conditions.
    At night with no ambient light it's only @20%, brighter will hurt my retinas.

4. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I must start by saying, really no liking this keyboard, and not loving where the mousepad and left mouse button is located; it's all 'off' for me. IBM keyboard user 1st and foremost; I like my Dell E6500's keyboard but really don't like the 1740's ... which his HP laptop is closest too. It's not just that the number keys on the right pushes everything to the left. Something's 'off'.

Haven't ventured to using 10-bit mode yet. Still a bunch of things to install, like Chrome, Lightroom (after I upgrade) and my catalogs, and PS CS5. And as others have discussed it's really only going to be useful within PS CS5; might be useful to truely see my PP workbefore printing. But I'm already realizing after switching Color Spaces in the HP Mobile Display Assistant how I'm going to have to stay in sRGB or AdobeRGB most of the time.

...but what I really wanted this laptop for was/is...

Viewing Angle!
    (forgive the quick snaps with bad lighting and no pp; I left my tripod in NYC and well, just didn't take time setting-up lights. Realize that I needed to increase exposure a bit for the angle'd shots. The light fall-off is noticable, but love that there's no color fall-off inversion ... L - O - V - E -- THAT! And was one of the most important things for me in getting this machine. )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

triturbo likes this.
  5. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh, and this display is UNFORGIVING! Looking at Post Processing I've done of photographs I love and I suddenly see failures in the image I'd never noticed before. Take the dark/blue-purple blotching due to the algorithmic handling of noise in the water of the 2nd image that I processed from RAW in this thread... Why I shoot RAW... - PentaxForums.com
    Before I'd be proud to share the 2nd image. Now, I see I need to re-do it! :eek:

triturbo likes this.
  6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    The viewing angle's make me jealous even though I keep telling myself I'll buy a nice BIG external monitor soonish which would reduce the benefit of an awesome laptop screen (plus I don't do any visual work, so 10-bit color manged blah blah blah is all Greek to me).

Oh yeah, the no crashing thing is pretty enviable too.:(

7. alamone

alamone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just picked up mine from the local Fedex branch.

Since I opted for the FreeDOS to save on the licensing fee, I'm currently installing Win7 ultimate onto an Intel 160GB SSD. I have to agree that the keyboard feels too mushy, but the screen is probably the best I've seen on a laptop yet. (Nevermind that all I've been able to see so far is the windows install screen)

I configured mine with 4x2GB dimms so I'll be sure to do some stress testing once the OS and drivers are up and running.

8. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    If you give up on 4 dimms due to crashing, remember that you need to remove from slots 3 (bottom) and 4 (under keyboard).

9. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I might not be getting any crashed (ok, I just jinxed myself having said that), but I can't reboot. :mad: 2nd time in a row after a) installing Window's update then b) making an ATI Catalyst config change, machine reboots, dark screen, tones saying Windows is starting, then nothing. No back-lit keyboard, no display. But HD shows activity, and the sleep Fn key even works to sleep the machine. And it wakes back up and shows HD activity, but still no display and no back-lit keyboard. So I did a hard shutdown both times, and the machine started as normal. I know it was mentioned a few pages back, and confirmed. I'm 2nd'ing that, and further that it's not limited to just after the Windows update.

...I had to say something keep everyone from being green w/envy @ the lot of us IPS screen owners. :D

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Thanks, m8. You're a true friend :)

Well, if HP's everlasting quest for self-destruction
    stays valid with their new flagship model -
    I might edit the sig again, very soon.
    BTW, my system is about to ship in 3 days.
    Dunno, whether to rejoice or cry...
    Well, one consolation is that it will be very easy to sell here in Canada.
    I might even attempt another crazy mission, - installing the IPS in my M17X ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.