*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not saying that everyone's problem with the 8740w or other models is the same as mine. I'm just saying that for my unit, I'm seeing occasional crashes that happen shortly after startup, before any operating system is booted. And I think others have reported the same thing too.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    When ordering through HP US, they require a valid US card and I'm in Canada.
    (HP Canada only has a limited number of pre-configured lappies without DC2 and the price is ridiculously high). Had to pay with wire transfer.

Yeah, that's why eventually my R1 was replaced with R2 (for free :) ).
    The later doesn't have any latency problems. I really like it. But for a business machine, it lacks the anti glare screen and the touch stick.

Even if it crashes before getting to the OS welcome screen, it can easily be a software issue.

3. lethial

lethial Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    HP sure has weird way of handling things... My now 3 months old order is finally moving again too... But they won't let me change the processor to 840qm... sigh...

4. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I'll sit tight and wait to see what you come up with. Just booting Win7 for now.

5. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right. Sorry, I didn't know that you lived in Canada. I also tried to use a non-U.S. credit card with Palm about 2 years ago and it was a pain to deal with them. Maybe that's why they folded and HTC gobbled them up. :laugh:

6. LTN184HT

LTN184HT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    W510 also has one of the major issues you are scared of.

USB Freeze problem. ( The system will freeze after you unplug the usb device.)

7. LTN184HT

LTN184HT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We have been waiting so long that DC2 screen is still the vaporware in our dreams.

8. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't say just before the welcome screen -- I said before the OS is even *booted*. Right after I hit the power switch and shortly around/after the time the BIOS logo displays -- before the boot loader in the MBR even shows which operating system to boot. That's when the fan starts going to high speed. 30 seconds after that, poof.

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    How many times have you tried re-flashing the BIOS (not from Windows)?

10. True_Sultan

True_Sultan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    oh cool. I saw a video of someone using Ubuntu and a program environment to control a electronic chip and it controlled a land drone. Pretty amazing, Ubuntu let him utilize both his processor and control chip fully. So ubuntu is probably gonna let u stresss test and exploit ur ati chip knight.

So does the ATI M7820 beat all quadro's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.