*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Congrats to you guys!
    My order was rebooked 3 days after Notebook Grail's, and there's now update other than EDD: 30th of July. Looks like I'm getting into the second batch.
    On the other hand, it's good. Will have more time to coordinate with my relatives in the US.
    DC2 is soo close now!

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I didn't try the first fix you suggested. I looked at the link for the second fix...:confused:

Would it be better to just start over? If so, please tell me how to uninstall what I have, and the proper way to do updates to avoid this issue. Maybe I'm just too noobish to do this in the first place.

3. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got an email saying mine shipped too.

4. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went down this path for a while -- I installed Fedora 13 on the system and was going to do some more testing. But then I noticed that sometimes, the system would crash shortly after system startup, before an OS was even booted.

This told me that the OS didn't have anything to do with the crash, so I didn't bother with any further Linux testing.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    This is not entirely true. I tried Fedora 13 on my M17X and had the same crashes, but it would work flawlessly in W7. Ubuntu Lucid Lynx had some issues too but not that severe.
    I'm quite positive, the problem is software/drivers related.
    Don't forget, the system is new and some hardware elements may take
    awhile to get due support.
    This is the only system up-to-date to offer a FirePro M7820 and DC2 screen.
    But even the chipset with 4 ram slots is relatively fresh and we know that Lenovo W-series have similar issues with ram.
    Few more BIOS fixes, OS updates, and better drivers, and the problem is gonna be solved.
    Whether or not you can indulge yourself in waiting for those fixes is a whole another story :(

6. resillusion

resillusion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine shipped too! Be here July 14th!

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    If only I could pay with a credit card avoiding a 3 day delay...:(
    I envy you guys....:swoon:

8. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could use a debit card, too, which is what I do, because I get an add'l 1/2 percent instant cash back through my bank.

9. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Reminds me of hte DPC latency issues of the M17xR1. Just as it was fixed, I got fed up and sold it to someone else, haha. So far I've had an issue with every single laptop I've owned except two.

Envy17 - numerous defects such as heat, poor chasis build, broken speaker
    Envy15 - excessive heat just when watching youtube, poor camera in sunlight, annoying keyboard layout
    Apple MBP13 2009 - HD died completely, battery would not charge due to faulty controller (which was replaced)
    ASUS EEE 900a - ok this was a cheap laptop, but the left mouse button and ethernet port don't work anymore
    AW M17x-R1 - DPC latency that was eventually fixed, really annoying high pitched sounds on integrated graphics (haha the R1 had integrated graphics and the R2 doesn't, forgot about that!), HD died
    AW m15x - the hinge issue. twice.

The AW 5500 and 766 actually didn't have any physical defects The 5500 was just too weak to be called a real AW laptop with its geforce 7600 gt, and the 766 was just old by the time I replaced it. And the battery life sucked.

10. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sorry! This is turning into quite a hassle! :(

The second fix requires downloading and burning a LiveCD.

If you want to uninstall, just do it from Add/Remove Programs in Windows. :)
    However, I'm not sure exactly what the optimal upgrade procedure is.

Before you uninstall, let me do a couple tests on one of my machines, I may have an in-place solution for you instead. (And if I don't, I'll try to find an error-free / easy-fix upgrade procedure. Worst case, we pin grub to an old version and upgrade around it, which is entirely possible. I'll send you a script in that case, so you only have to copy-paste two commands.)

@True_Sultan:
    I haven't used Ubuntu much, so I can't really comment. I use Debian Sid. That said, I thought the interface was surprisingly nice last time I fired up a Wubi install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.