*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    1...2...3...not it

2. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is ridiculous. I haven't even ordered the damn thing yet, and we're already talking about turning it in for repair or returning it altogether??? What's going on with HP? I am a ThinkPad guy, and I'm not used to anything like this. Looks like I've been spoiled by IBM and Lenovo for 11 years.

It goes beyond hardware issues, too, with HP sending out products that are incorrectly configured, i.e. RAM chips are installed to where they have to be removed and installed in a totally illogical way?

I really have to get a laptop this month. This month. This waiting around is going on half a year now. I'm usually always the first to say something like "Anticipation is half the fun", but I can't do it for much longer. Why are any of us putting up with this, by the way? Some ThinkPad users consider HP to be beneath them. Is this what they are referring to? Has this ever happened before with the release of this company's flagship EliteBook?

Besides the W701 and the M6500, have any of you considered another brand? Do any of you have any experience with the 17" WUXGA MacBook Pro?

/end rant

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    AFAIK, ThinkPAd W510 has a similar crashing problem when the ram slot n.3 is populated. I don't think it's a 100% HP's fault.
    @Knight,
    What Linux distro (if any) have you tried?

4. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @knight427: Why not?

5. True_Sultan

True_Sultan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wait...are you guys telling me that the ram is causing crashes on both W510 and 8740w? Why? Is it a bios problem? or a circuit problem? :eek:

6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I'd need a very detailed guide on how to make a new partition, install Linux (or whatever is free) and how to dual boot. This also can in no way risk crashing my hard drive, I'm not going through another Win7 setup anytime soon.

7. True_Sultan

Reputations:
    Bro you heard of wubi install? You can install Ubuntu through windows 7. You can partition everything out. You have an SSD? Use the SSD to install Linux. Plus you can configure GRUB to boot win 7.

here is a documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

how to configure grub: GRUB bootloader - Full tutorial

Also there are more google search. One thing though, if you did have an SSD, you wouldn't need to configure grub as during install, set grub to install on the SSD so it won't overwrite your MBR. The when u want to boot to linux, boot up the SSD. If not then windows will boot normally.

8. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Best way is to run a linux live cd, ubuntu allows this. Iirc, ubuntu is always a live cd first off, but allows you to install it to your HDD later if you like it.

A live cd (dvd) means there are no changes made to your system. After you pull out the dvd and restart your computer, nothing has changed.

9. True_Sultan

Reputations:
    pretty much..but i think he would want to install it, the live cd kinda limits stuff to. Also since u own a 8740w...does yours crash to? Any problems?

10. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As True_Sultan pointed out, the best way (especially to run a while for testing) is now Wubi. It gives you a full, installed Ubuntu system, dual-booting, BUT you don't have to partition anything and you can uninstall it like any other Windows program. (Basically it hooks into the Windows bootloader and makes a virtual partition as a single file within Windows. You sacrifice a bit of disk performance, but not much, and configuration changes stick from boot to boot since it's a "real" install.)

Installation is simple: download the installer, run it, tell it the size you want. Bam, done, dual-boot, no changes to your disk structure or to Windows system stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.