*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Rampage,

If you don't care about the GPU comparison, why bother posting your 3DMark06 scores? Why bother even mentioning the benchmarking part? Why do you care continuing the BS talk if it's not YOU who this is all about and your super-mega-deal?
    Looks like Koshin is right after all. I thought that after my last post directed to you, you'd at least leave this topic alone.
    But since you did what you did you should at least do some research in that area, before making educated claims.
    3Dmark06 is not a correct tool for measuring the GPU performance.
    Both you and Knight ran the 3Dmark06 test but where are the screenshots of the HWMonitor and GPU-Z? What is the ambient temp in each case? What applications were running in the background? What OS services/processes affected the CPU utilization? I could continue but...duh...? :err:

You both did a Vantage run. Where are the screenshots?
    What are the GPU clocks in each case? Max temps?
    At least, Knight is ready to go this path and find out (even if out of curiosity, his and ours alike) the performance level of his GPU. This is not to bash anyone with: "My GPU is stronger, I'm da man!", but to explore the potential of your system. That's a scientific approach, a research. I'd do the same if I had the system. Then, I'd run a helluva buncha tests to compare the MR5870 and M7820 to find all the differences between the two both in certified apps and gaming.
    Why? I hope by now you guess that this question is pointless.
    There are no reviews of the FirePro (and very few of the Quadro), we have the chance to be the first to strip this card down and discover it's full power.
    Many would thank us later for providing a valuable information, especially when deciding between the Quadro and FirePro as the main workstation card.
    This is not a contest (I used that word to add a little action that's all).

Anyway, I encourage all 8740w owners to join the benching and do something useful other then contemplating about unavailable (yet) DC2 and boasting our huge discounts (especially unfair towards those who paid the full price for the system).
    I'm also eagerly waiting for some news from Knight and his secret HP dealings regarding the crashes issue, the most important topic in this thread, IMHO.

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    So, this is what happens when noobs start benching. I ran PCMark Vantage not 3DMark Vantage. I'll run 3DMark Vantage soon with HWmon and post the results soonish.

3. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh just post it! ...for reference sake. /\/\/ Please?

4. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Also, when I run Cupid HWmonitor, I don't see GPU temps.

[​IMG]

I'd like to do this right this time. What's going on?

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Knight,
    Try HWinfo32 instead or GPU-Z (click the sensors tab, there will be 4 readings, you can check the "Show highest reading" option)

6. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LOL :laugh:

This is for you and my buddy Aikimox. ;)

Hey Aikimox, if you still don't believe me, I can put a monkey in the background sucking on a lollipop, while I perform the test. LOL :laugh:

Are you happy now Aikimox?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Rampage,

Thanks, for posting!
    The Vantage GPU Score is a bit low for that card. Hmmm...
    Did you run it once only? Any applications running in the background?

8. RampageII

Reputations:
    Yes, only once.
    There are always around 61-64 processes running in the background.
    But there were no programs, folders or windows open.

Congratulations! the M7820 beats the 3800M by a 79 point land slide. :D:D

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I still think you should get at least 500pts more on the GPU. Are you using HP or the latest Nvidia drivers?

BTW, the total score is unimportant, only the GPU score matters for the GPU comparison. Plus, Knight ran the wrong test and still got a nice score for PCMark ,
    heh. 3D Mark is for benchmarking graphics performance while PC mark benchmarks overall system performance

10. RampageII

Reputations:
    I sincerely hope knight can post a much better score so you guys feel better.
    Hopefully the 820QM bumps it up a few hundred points like it did on the 3DMark06 test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.