*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good score knight. :)

*contemplating*

oh, oh..... :eek:
    Should I post my 3DMark Vantage score?......
    I don't know if Aikimox can handle it. :no:

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. RampageII

Reputations:
    Ironically, despite placing a distant 4th on your list, gaming IS the one thing that actually makes the most use out of your hardware. :yes:
    Everything else could easily be handled by a much cheaper ATI/nvidia card and a C2D CPU.

My old 8710w had an FX1600M and it ran AutoCAD and SW like a champ. :yes:

With everything else being equal, the FX3800M equipped 8740w will always have a higher value than the ATI equipped 8740w.
    Whether you were to sell it next month or next year.

But it sounds like you made the right choice anyway.

3. nbr99

nbr99 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Offense? Offense with what? That's YOU, who don't know other computer usage except gaming. Why one may be offended by lack of YOUR knowledge or imagination? ;)

I, for example, need it for software development requiring compilation of complex projects. It requires multi-core processors and CPU power to save my time. There is no need for powerful GPU at all. So, getting environment friendly GPU with low power consumption would be the best for me :) It'd mean that fan will not be loud cooling unnecessary heat from a powerful GPU that I don't actually need. But unfortunately there is no a big choice...

At the same time, I don't need OC of CPU too - I need stability and reliability. That's why I've postponed the order of 8740w until the crash problem will be resolved. It is inadmissible for my prospective workstation. Loosing several hours of work can't be compared to restarting a game... :)

Other attractive features (for me, of cause) are non-glossy high-resolution and high-quality screen, backlit keyboard to work at night, USB-3.0, and did I mention, reliability :) I can't find it in other laptops, and that's why I'm looking for expensive workstations.

I need a powerful multi-core CPU for other projects and ideas (e.g. video editing, etc.) and I'm not crazy about the GPU scores at all (in fact, I don't give a dime about it). Sorry, but not all of us think as you do :). So just learn from others and don't be offended by that :D

4. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've seen more smileys used per page here than I've seen in hundred page threads.

Cut the bickering, please. This is embarrassing.

And since we're talking about usage of the laptop...

I might take my laptop to afghanistan. I do cyberwarfare for the USAF and I like practicing with a network of virtualboxes, so a multi-core processor + 4 dimm slots + ruggedness + smart card reader are essential. The GPU is for my gaming needs off duty.

5. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Quick question. I have a brand new FX3700M. Would I be able to use it in the 8740w? It also has 128 CUDA cores and 1GB of GDDR3 VRAM. Besides OpenGL and higher memory bandwidth, who would benefit from the FX3800M over the FX3700M?

Thanks...

6. RampageII

Reputations:
    No. :no:

It needs to have the proper video BIOS from HP. But there is none because the 3700M is not an option on the 8740w.

I tried to upgrade my old 8710w with an FX3700M before and the specs were crippled and it ran unstable.

7. RampageII

Reputations:
    Okay guys, the discussion was fun, but I don't want this getting out of hand.

Let's end it. :yes:

8. montana28

montana28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    could anyone give me an advice of what hp laptop shoud i buy for web design, a laptop with lots of rams and a good gpu? :)
    thanks! :)

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    That's a bit low for this card. BTW, is this a total score or GPU only?
    I wonder if HP drivers limit the card's true potential.

First, your knowledge and imagination doesn't allow you to see the irony of my post for some reason. :p

Second, the tasks described could be easily fulfilled by at least 10 other different laptop models from Dell, Lenovo and HP. Some of them would cost you about 1/3 of the 8740w's price and 50% of those would be more reliable. My wife has a W510 (~1200$) for instance, and it handles
    all activities mentioned in your post, plus some serious gaming with 0 issues.
    But we like new and expensive shiny things, don't we? ;)
    JK, nvn. :)

Now you've answered my questions :D
    I shouldn't have even asked those.

First of all, why HP? ;)
    Even with a 28% discount Elitebooks still cost significantly more than Lenovo ThinkPads with similar hardware(those have up to 30% discounts as well).
    If you need a business grade system:
    15" category: HP 8540w, Lenovo W510 or Dell Precision M4500.

17": Lenovo W7xx, Dell Precision M6500 or HP 8740w.

They all have a quad core CPU option and up to 16GB RAM.
    It's up to you and your preferences.
    Good luck!

10. NecessaryEvil

NecessaryEvil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I'm out. Again. I simply don't have time to wait another 2 months to get a decent laptop.

I think I'll be picking up something on the cheaper end to hold me over until Sandy Bridge. There simply isn't anything else out there that gives me a good screen and DX11...so there's no sense spending a few grand on a laptop that doesn't meet my needs.

I was already worried enough about buying a laptop while it was still known to have major issues (crashes)...but this delay clenches it.

If anyone's looking for 8GB of Geil DDR3-1333 (10667?), an advanced dock, and hdd adapter, I'll have it listed in FS/FT some time next week (need to take some pics).

Good luck to those of you with more patience than I, I'll certainly be keeping an eye on things, as I really want that DC2 panel. Hopefully the next generation will keep it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.