*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been thinking that, too. HP will likely be joined very shortly by other manufacturers but what about the other specs of this specific panel? Naturally, DreamColor is HP marketing terminology, just as Flexview was for the IBM ThinkPad's. What about the billion colors, high color gamut, high contrast ratio, etc.? Will all these specs simply become a commodity?

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Yes, of course! That's the whole point behind backlighting, right? :D

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I think so. It's not like HP is doing things from scratch. They just implement the new standard. Their DC1 panels were just regular RGB LED screens (TN, 8-bit per color) AFAIK.
    I do not expect miracles here. But the good thing is that they are going to be the first or one of the first to implement the new IPS panels in laptops.

4. knight427

Reputations:
    My laptop is acting up tonight. I've been trying to download Mass Effect from Steam (on sale for $5, today only). Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I'm using my first 8740w while the other one is doing a startup test.

5. Tyraxus

Tyraxus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting news...

I'm starting to get a bit of a picture of what could have possibly caused my crash. Here's a timeline:

17th - I was looking at my memory configuration and attempting to identify the RAM slot names / numbers. During this I ended up removing all of my RAM and re-seating it (to see what was written under it).

18th - Didn't do very much with the laptop. It was storming here so I had most of my electronics turned off.

19th - Had my first crash early in the morning while browsing the web.

Which leads me to what I just found out. I was getting ready to bring up a few VM's and had Task Manager open when I noticed my memory usage was at around 50% BEFORE starting any VM's. Task Manager was only showing 4GB of physical memory! I looked at the computer properties sheet and it said "Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (4 GB usable)". This struck me as very strange because I know for a fact that when I first installed my memory it did NOT have the "usable" statistic.

With that in mind I decided to look at my BIOS and see what it said. This was very strange - the BIOS was only recognizing one of the HP chips and one of the aftermarket chips I installed. I then opened up the laptop and all the RAM looked properly seated, but I decided to run only the HP RAM anyway. The BIOS then recognized both HP sticks. I then re-added my RAM ensuring it was completely seated, not just 'clicked-in'. Essentially, after I clicked the RAM in I also pushed it into the slot as far as possible. After this my BIOS again recognized all of my RAM as well as Windows.

Now, I'm not saying this is what is causing everyone's crashes or even that it is what caused MY crash. Just that it is EXTREMELY suspicious.

In the end perhaps it would be appropriate for everyone to check their OS (start > right click on computer > properties) and their BIOS to see what it is recognizing. I believe this is the route to get to the memory information in the BIOS: run System Diagnostics > System Information > Memory Information & More Memory Information.

I'm very curious how things look for everyone else. Because, let's face it, this entire thing came about from people adding or changing their RAM, right? Perhaps, just maybe, this could be something here. **Fingers crossed for everyone**

6. knight427

Reputations:
    My first system was crashing without me ever opening it up at all. My second system began crashing before i opened it up. BUT, when I tried installing 8 GB RAM on my first machine, at one time, I had the same statistic (X GB installed, only X/2 GB usable). But I don't remember at what point I saw that. Eventually it only saw and used 2 GB.

7. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Aikimox,
    Hopefully you get yours soon. I know you've been very patient. :D

BTW, once you get your DC2 panel and you get a chance to pop it open, can you please let me know the part# on the back of the panel?
    I'm interested in knowing what part# they're using for DC2.
    Maybe even take a pic to see if the display cable is the same for both DC2 and the others. For example, the 8730w uses a different cable for the DC panels. However, in that case it's due to the fact that one is LED backlit and the others use CCFL backlight.
    On the 8740w, they all appear to be LED backlit so perhaps they all use the same display cable.

Also, do you guys think they might be using the DC1 panels for the regular WUXGA+ screen?
    The documentation says they're now using an LED backlight on the regular panels, instead of the CCFL backlight found in the 8730w.
    That alone should provide an improvement over the old CCFL panels. Although the brightness appears to be the same (200).

If the regular panel on the 8740w is not a DC1, I'd be curious to know if it's compatible. :D

8. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, the DC1 panels were 8-bit TN panels w/ RGBLED. HP is far from the first with IPS panels in laptops (ie. IBM T4x/5x/6x), but will definitely not be the last.

9. LTN184HT

LTN184HT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here are the panel monitor models I found on Internet

LPL_LP171WP9
    SEC_LTN170BT11
    SEC_LTN170MT03
    SEC_LTN170CT12
    LPL_LP171WU7
    LPL_LP171WU8

All versions are LED backlit, if my assumption is right above doubt.

10. LTN184HT

LTN184HT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Everyone loves T60p, its precise colour reproduction and eye strain free feature.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.