*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Too bad, indeed. There's one more faults free system out there, AFAIK.

2. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm, I can't seem to be able to find the motherboard ID. There's a serial number and a "universal unique ID", but nothing that looks like a motherboard ID. Doing some searching, it looks like many HP motherboards are custom made and HP makes its own BIOS.

3. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    My initial impression was that the letters were identical between the two. But upon closer inspection I can see some subtle differences.

Here is the backlit keyboard through a cheap jeweler's loupe. It was hard to get a decent shot, so I did not try it on the regular keyboard.
    [​IMG]

Here is macro shot of the backlit keyboard with the camera lens propping up the camera (small point-n-shoot). You can kind of see that the letters are just slightly depressed and painted white, but not too thick so light can get through (back light is off in the shot).
    [​IMG]

Here is an identical shot of the regular keyboard. You can see that the letters have a slightly raised film over them. I could just barely feel the raise with my fingers before I looked very close, now I can feel it more easily since I know it's there.
    [​IMG]

So, there is some difference in the lettering, but i did not notice it until your question prompted me to look very close.

4. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you think the raised film on the non-backlit keyboard is the "durakey finish"?

5. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Possibly, that was the first thing I thought of when I noticed it. But that implies that the backlit keyboard has no durakey finish. While the backlight will ensure I can always see the keys, I am wondering if the paint in the depressions might start to wear away over time. I guess I'll make sure to complain about any wear I see before my 3yr warranty is up.

6. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @knight427:

Thank you for your replies and nice photos ;)

And a last question about the backlit keyboard: Are the letters visible in complete darkness? (i.e. with the screen turned off and without ambient light). I know it doesn't make sense, I'm just curious.

7. lethial

lethial Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    NO! Please don't think that!!! :eek:

The backlit keys are MUCH better, if those pictures are correct!!

Read here: Key printing Method

From the picture, the non-backlit keys uses the CHEAP
    Pad Printing keys:
    The Backlit keys looks like a variant (maybe cheaper):
    Double shot injection molded
    Which make sense, since to get back light to shine through, you can't have keys that have letters printed on them.

I am actually pretty surprised and happy that the backlit keys are using that kind of caps. Now I REALLY want my 8740w :(

8. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe it is better to have waited this long for, hopefully, a very well tested product that went through QA, was rejected in March, and, apparently, has successfully gone through QA the second time around.

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Looks like shortly after its release for 8740w that screen will be available everywhere. Maybe, it's just a marketing move and no extreme testing was ever done.
    Just a thought of course, but it's totally in sync. with LG and their planned release of notebook IPS panels, IIRC.

10. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It doesn't have to be double shot injection molded. It could be just clear plastic with the black painted on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.