*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    I saw this rumor VR-Zone Mobile - Nvidia: Mainstream Fermi in "mid-part of the year" at vr-zone. The CFO mentioned at some conference about the newer core GF104 (which should be cooler) will be Quadro and Tesla. Then on the same page, there's a link that vr-zone picked up about another rumor from xbitlab (and a few other site) that mentioned July 12th as the day they will announce the new GF104 core.

Ofcourse then it will be mostly desktop quadro first, but I'm hoping the mobile version will come out right after that.

I'm really hoping by the end of July (or August realistically) somebody (HP or Dell or Lenovo, preferably HP) will include the Fermi quadro as an option. Some on the website mentioned September.

2. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok -- I tried that, didn't seem to have any effect. I still got a higher fan level when resuming from sleep.

3. kartik_subbarao

Reputations:
    Another observation -- sometimes when shutting down, or going into an unsuccessful sleep mode, the charging light will blink amber until it crashes. According to the service manual, Blinking amber occurs when a battery that is the only available power source has reached a low level. But I see this happening even when the system is plugged in, and even when the battery is full. There must be some other undocumented situation that causes this to happen.

4. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the blinking amber charging light sometimes, too, before the power off after writing all data to the hard disk during going to sleep with my 8730w (OS is XP, though) It is blinking 3 seconds or so and then it finally shuts off, battery and power supply connected, never noticed this during normal shut down but this is because I never use it and only hibernation ;)

It happens sometimes, but not very often, I guess 30 times it goes to sleep without blinking and then once with this blinking

however, it does wake up without a problem

5. kartik_subbarao

Reputations:
    Just heard back from HP support. My case is being escalated, and I should hear back within a few days from the next level folks. They may want me to ship back my unit as well.

6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    FYI: Ever since I went down to 4GB RAM on 2D in my new system (and stopped Sleep/Wake testing) I've only had one crash. I'm convinced there is some issue with RAM in slots 3 and 4 that is in addition to to exacerbates the root cause of crashes. I'll reinstall the other RAM when I get caught up on my work and can afford the risk of more down time.

EDIT: guess what happened mere minutes after posting this?

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Ermmm....you won the national lottery? :p

8. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    No, even better, the Yahoo/MSN/eBay International Lottery!

9. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sweet, didn't know they had a lottery.

I just remembered why I have a hate/love relationship with technology.

I'm waiting for DC2 to get the 8740w. I'm also waiting for G3 X25-M SSDs. And I also want Sandy Bridge... but that'd probably make it a 8750w.

So what to do...

10. lethial

lethial Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry to side track, but newer tech doesn't always means better. I'd actually get some good G2 or even G1 X25s if I can. The newer gen SSDs will have lower retention time (number of rewrites) in addition, the page size is doubled from 128 to 256 (8KB page size) which means that more cells are rewritten more often...

While we are on the subject, don't use SSDs for long term storage either, since as the transistor size gets smaller and smaller, the amount of time that data can be retained in a cell w/o having the drive powered, gets shorter.

Some articles that are worth reading:
    [Feature] SSDs Challenge HDDs, but Quality a Problem [Part 3] -- Nikkei Electronics Asia -- June 2009 - Tech-On!
    Is NAND flash about to hit a dead end? - Feature - Techworld.com
    Successor to Post Flash Memory Approaching Volume Production -- Nikkei Electronics Asia --May 2010 - Tech-On!

TBH, I am really really upset with the "disposable" trend of the current consumer market (made massively popular by Apple...). A lot of newer products are not built to last, but to only give great first impression now. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.