*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Easier said than done Aikimox :) I've tried a lot of things, and I can't deterministically reproduce the crashes outside of sleep+resume -- they just happen out of the blue. Also, my hunch is that the root cause is common to both issues -- if we fix one, we fix both. My current theory is that the system gets confused about how hot the temperature actually is, and turns on the fan. In some cases (typical sleep/resume) it's only a little confused, and it turns on the fan at mid-level. But other times it gets majorly confused, cranks up the fan to full blast, and crashes soon after since the fan isn't reducing what it thinks the temperature is.

If we can identify the patch/update/change/whatever that first triggers the fan issue to start showing up, then that should be a solid lead for HP to track the problem down. This is just my working theory at this point -- I'm certainly open to any other ideas/suggestions.

If disabling sleep were to somehow make the problem go away, that'd be an interesting datapoint, but unless that bit of knowledge by itself is enough for HP to fix the problem, it wouldn't be a viable workaround for me. I'd still end up returning the system since the fast power-on of resuming from sleep is important to me.

2. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I remember a problem I have with an older HP notebook:

waking from sleep does not work at all, black screen, full fan speed only. The problem is the ethernet port, if power saving of the ethernet port is off all works but if it is on it seems it could not recover from sleep. But I am not sure if this helps but it could be again some third party device of the 8740w which causes the problem...

3. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    Thanks. I also heard that Nvidia will announced Quadro Fermi on july 12th.. I was hoping to be able to order one of the 8740w or 8540w with a quadro fermi before the end of july.

4. lethial

lethial Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just to provide some evidence to my paranoia over the "power saving" or "clock boosting" features of the i7s:

How to kill the desktop i7-980x (the $1000 CPU...) FAST
    Basically, if you disable 5 of the 6 cores, and disable HyperThreading, be prepared to kill your CPU FAST! :(

From my experience at work on embedded systems, I am not surprised of this problem. Dynamic power/speed adjustment is hard to do.

Now I am NOT saying that this is the problem that you guys are seeing. But I am just suggesting that these "cool" new features may not be the best thing to have enabled for the long (or some cases short) run...

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Kartik,
    Could you try this?

That's exactly my point.
    The rule of thumb with all power saving features - Keep them disabled! No system can be 100% stable with all of them enabled. In many IT departments that I worked for, power saving modes are disabled within windows policy restrictions! So, users don't even see those options on their own laptops, lol ;)
    If you need a fast resume - get an SSD or at least a hybrid drive (ex. Momentus XT).

6. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried to disable the Turbo Mode earlier but could only find a temporary way to do this with the i7 turbo tool. If you (or others) can list all of the different things that would make sense to disable, and how and where to disable them, I can take a look.

7. lepierre

lepierre Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am very surprised by the release date of fermi quadro for desktop. The quadro version of the 470 GTX is already available it is the Tesla c2050 (Tesla C2050 / C2070 GPU Computing Processor) and the c2070 (GTX 480) is annonced for the Q3 2010 (I believe september) but not for retail sale only in Tesla system (still more expensive!). I'm also interrested by the fermi. How do you know that the release date is the 12th july? For ending I give you the answer of nvidia:
    "Currently there have been no announcements on the Quadro line of Fermi mobile GPU’s. Keep checking back on our site for further announcements on Quadro Fermi Mobile. Our current Quadro lineup can be viewed here NVIDIA Quadro FX - Mobile Solutions. Currently we do not have any Quadro mobile cards with the model number FX 5900M.
    Note: The mobile GPU’s are usually closely behind the desktop since the desktop Quadro Fermi GPU’s also have not been announced or released it could be several months before notebooks using the Fermi based Quadro mobile are available for purchase."

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I mean, disable the power saving for Ethernet controller (Device Manager -> network adapters -> Your card -> Properties -> Advanced/Power management, turn off (if there are any) power saving options.

9. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LoL... it went like this... ;)

o- On 4/19 I decided I'd splurge for the 8740w deciding since I needed a laptop to do PP of RAWs of my digital photography and DC2 was nothing short of revolutionary and the absolute best display ever to be put in a laptop, but found I couldn't make use of the 18% coupon (that's been on their website for months now) during check-out ... so called in on 4/20. DC2 was available for order on that date. The date is important here.

o- I was randomly routed to a salesman that talked me into buying that day and gave me I think it was 24% off.
    edit: actually, he didn't talk me into it, I wa going to buy that day anyway. But if he wanted to feel that by giving me that discount he'd talk me into buying that day, I was willing to play along. :D

o- I mentioned that I got a great discount here but not what it was, and a few people IM'ed me. They were working with a sales agent who refused to move on the price previously. I shared what the guy gave me and his contact info.

o- They called my sales man too, and ordered machines w/the DC2 display. Others started asking them who they dealt with too, and more and more people ended-up calling and using Eric (but didn't get DC2). ;)

o- Perhaps those orders just after me ordering with DC2 were the straw that broke the camel's back, perhaps pure coiincidence, but by the next day after those orders, DC2 was removed from the CTO page.

It is now two days shy of 2 months later. :rolleyes: ...lol.

10. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ugh I am so annoyed at HP right now. My package hasn't moved from ANCHORAGE, Alaska for the past 2 days because of a US customs issue. Fedex claims HP didn't file their paperwork correctly. Keep in mind my estimated delivery date was 6/16, so it's already late.

I did some research into the issue and apparently there's a long slickdeals.net forum thread about this same problem dating back to 2008. Apparently HP's Shanghai warehouse routinely screws up the paperwork, resulting in unnecessary delays of laptop shipments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.