*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Yeah, and I thought I could prove/disprove the 4 RAM thing by testing 2 systems...that didn't work out so well for me either.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    The good thing is that the system didn't crash during the installation.
    Again, screw the sleep mode, guys! Right now, that's the least troublesome point. We should focus on the crashes.
    If you could run your system with power saving modes disabled and see if you can reproduce the crashes during your normal activities, - would be great!

3. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :D Just shot a mail to Greg to see if he has any info. Will keep posted.

4. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Remember, June 21st was the D-day :D I hope HP will keep his promise as they did with the backlit keyboard launch :rolleyes:

5. knight427

Reputations:
    I finished my benchmarks comparing 720qm to 820qm, Let me know if there are any other benchmarks you want to see. These systems are currently identical other than CPU. I'll be shipping the first system out soon.

6. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's pretty frig'n perfect. I was wondering this very thing; whether to splurge for the 820 for the nominal cost was worth it. I thought actually it would buy over 10% increase but I see in all but one case not even that. Though in the larger spectrum of things I might have been knickle&diming not going for the $150 upgrade, I guess I'll stick with what I ordered.

Much thanx for the time and all those numbers. It answered exactly what I wanted to know. rep for you! :cool:

7. knight427

Reputations:
    The gains are fairly modest for sure(5%-8%). I did not find it worth paying for, but only b/c I set a $2k wall I didn't want to cross (I was going to get the 820 on the 8540w, downgrading to the 720 was part of switching over to 8740w).

Anyway, I just looked at how much the upgrade would have cost me on my original order. The increase to my purchase price would have been about 5.7%. Since the CPU effects your entire machine, I think it is reasonable to look at the markup in relation to the entire cost. From this perspective, the upgrade cost is nearly identical to the performance increase. Especially b/c we all max out our CPUs 24/7, right? :D Also, the more you spend on other upgrades, the more cost-efficient the upgrade becomes!

8. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    When is the Quadro Fermi coming on the 8740w?

9. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @m8o: How were you able to order the DC2? I don't see it on the drop-down menu doing a CTO trial order. Did you call in?

So Monday through Thursday, HP is having a four-day conference of some sort in Las Vegas. Maybe the DC2 display will be announced then??? After all, Monday is 6/21. Grr...I've been waiting for four months now...Let's see this thing already lol....:)

10. lepierre

lepierre Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For the Quadro Fermi, I ask to nvivia and they said that the mobile version of the Fermi don't available before the deskstop version it will be the FX 4900 and FX 5900. And these GPU should come on september. On the other hand a seller of HP said that maybe availible at the same time of the dreamcolor the next week. We will see if it is come very soon or in a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.