*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No prob. I didn't mean for my resp to be taken as argumentative just explanatory. Thanx for the warning. Hopefully your delay is being incurred for no other reason than because they have to use the parts for us earlier orderers and not because of a much wider reaching delay of no chassis or some other crazy shortage.

2. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would be just, fair, and hopefully short!

No offense taken and you didn't sound irritated in any case, just clarifying. :D Internet communication fail, I should use more smilies or something :p

3. NecessaryEvil

NecessaryEvil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It would appear I am back in the game.

My MSI has a blue line going down the middle of the screen, Newegg is out of them, so their option of replace is now refund.

I hadn't sold the dock or RAM for the 8740W...so I guess I need to look back at this.

When it comes back on Monday (fingers crossed), I plan on calling to get the same price they gave me 2 months ago....which was 24%. Can someone PM me the rep that gave 28%?

Or should I be looking elsewhere with all these fan and RAM issues? This is the 4th time since January that I've been kicked in the junk by a bad notebook*...I really don't want the 5th laptop I purchase this year to be yet another hotbed of issues.

*My X201 was sent in unsuccessfully for repair on the right speaker, a driver fixed it 2 weeks later. Otherwise, it's been perfect.

4. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it is but....
    Shouldn't it be even slots first and then odd slots for for the second pair?
    For example, fill 1-3 slots first then 2-4. OR 2-4 first followed by 1-3.
    On my core i7 motherboard the first set has to go in 2-4-6 slots, followed by 1-3-5. NOT 1-2-3 OR 4-5-6.
    Of course my example is for a desktop motherboard, but I figured I should point it out. Not sure how HP configured it for the the 8740w.

5. Tyraxus

Tyraxus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The problem is that I don't have the laptop in front of me so I can't verify - I am just going from memory. I know for certain, regardless of the slot numbers, memory should be installed in a pair with one under the keyboard and the other under the laptop itself.

I'll check in a little while when I get home for specifics.

6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I can tell you for certain that RAM in 1 (under keyboard) and 2 (bottom) works. Both my machines are running this way and using all 4 GB.

7. Tyraxus

Tyraxus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright, here is my RAM setup:

From the factory I've got a 2 GB chip in slot 1 (under the keyboard, top slot) and another 2 GB chip in slot 2 (under the laptop, slot close power connection).

I installed a matched set of 2 more 2 GB chips in the other locations - slot 4 (under the keyboard, bottom slot) and slot 3 (bottom of laptop, slot closest to DVD drive).

Knight427, it appears you have a couple of options:
    1. Run 1 chip ONLY (slot 1)
    or 2. Take the original 2 GB chip out of your old laptop and install it in slot 2 (under the keyboard next to the power connector) and run that with the original chip in slot 1.

I would probably default to option 1 for a while and see if you have a crash. If not, try option 2 and see what happens.

I looked in the service and user manual for some specifics and didn't find any about the matched pairs. Perhaps I'm just substituting my server knowledge here.

8. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I created a new partition and installed Windows 7 into this partition from the Operating System DVD that I ordered with the system. I then installed all of the drivers from the Application and Driver Recovery DVD. At no time did I connect to the network -- the idea was to see how a totally standalone install with as basic of an HP setup as possible would go.

I did not get any crashes during this process. However, the fan did turn on (mid-level) after I resumed from a sleep. Multiple sleep+resumes did not crash the system.

I was not able to put the system to sleep until after I installed the drivers from the Application and Driver Recovery DVD. So I wasn't able to reproduce the state where the system resumes from sleep without the fan turning on. Somewhat of a bummer. I was hoping to catch a pristine state where the system completely worked, and then be able to add updates individually to track down where things first start going wrong.

9. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sent you a PM.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @NotebookGrail,
    I was hoping that your reappearance here would mean only one thing - DC2. ;)
    Any news from Greg?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.