*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lethial

lethial Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Doh! That is what I am afraid of, these unit my not have fan speed sensors. :( At least not ones that would report values to 3rd party software.

2. Tyraxus

Tyraxus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Knight427, what is your current memory configuration?

The memory layout is VERY important - they must be installed in matched pairs and in specific locations. From the factory, with 2 chips, you'll should have chips in I believe slot 1 (under the keyboard) and slot 2 (bottom of the laptop). If you were to add ANY ram to the machine you need to then place it in slot 3 (under keyboard) & 4 (bottom) in a MATCHED PAIR.

I'm hoping that you've somehow managed to improperly arrange the RAM and this is what is causing your problems.

I'm currently looking at the documentation for more specific information. I'll post again in a few.

3. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    You guys are nuts, I've already wasted so much time on this. My work is falling behind.

Anyway, my old system is still only seeing 2 GB of the 4 installed. I've re-seated them several times in DIMMs 1 and 2, I guess it's time to try different dimms. Can anyone tell me if it matter which DIMMs are used? Do you have fill them in order 1, 2, 3, 4? Also, the old system can once again Sleep/Wake as many times as I want without inducing a crash (of course the fan-on problem is still there).

On my new system, I'm running 4 GB on dimms 1 and 2 and it still can induce crash from Sleep/Wake and I also got a crash checking this forum this morning (been away from the computer most of today so far).

My priority now is too see if I can my old machine back up to 4 GB...maybe I ruined one of sticks.

4. knight427

Reputations:
    1 and 4 are under the keyboard, 2 and 3 are on the bottom.

OK, then I guess I'm not sure how to test for a bad ram stick, but I must conclude that RAM in DIMM 1 is working, so should I pull out both RAM sticks and install the xtra matched pair from my new system?

EDIT:
    Old System
    2 GB in DIMM 1
    2 GB in DIMM 2 (matched)
    system sees only 2 GB

New System
    2 GB in DIMM 1
    2 GB in DIMM 2 (matched)
    system sees 4 GB

bookshelf
    matched pair of 2GB sticks uninstalled from new system

EDIT2: noon here, going to have short lunch, anyone willing to chat on Skype to help me get 4GB on my old system? dknight427 is my skype name...I'll log in by 1:00, probably before that

5. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hear ya! For what it's worth -- if it weren't for your diligent work and reporting, I might have thrown in the towel already. It's really disappointing that we're seeing these problems on HP's flagship notebook.

6. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what I'm going to do when I get my system tomorrow. My machine will come bare with only FreeDOS installed.

7. knight427

Reputations:
    Old System:
    removed RAM2 from D2
    system showed 2 GB, confirming RAM1 in D1 is ok
    removed RAM1 from D1 and installed RAM2 in D1
    system showed 2 GB conforming RAM2 is ok
    installed RAM1 in D2 and system reports 4 GB...back to normal now

That's odd. I re-seated RAM2 in D2 at least 4 times, But whatever, at least now I can call HP and not feel like broke something on my old system (which they want to study).

EDIT: back on my New System running RAM in D1 and D2, the system seems more stable from Sleep/Wake crashes, but now it seems more likely to go to sleep improperly, causing a restart when you try to wake it...the "bad sleep" is indicated by the lights on the touch control buttons not turning off for nearly a minute...last test I was on my 5th Sleep mode when this happened...when I ran RAM in D1-4, I never got past 3 Sleep/Wake cycles before a crash

8. knight427

Reputations:
    Old System - 720qm, M7820, 4GB
    3DMark06 - 12,373
    SM 2.0: 5,111
    SM 3.0: 6,020
    CPU: 3,040
    res: 1280x1024

PCMark05: 7,683
    wPrime 32M: 17.47 s
    wPrime 1024M: 550.63 s

Cinebench 11.5 64-bit
    OpenGL: 24.32 fps
    CPU: 2.79 pts
    CPU (single core): 0.87 pts
    CPU MP Ratio: 3.19x

New System - 820qm, M7820, 4GB
    3DMark06 - 13,063 (+5.6%)
    SM 2.0: 5,364 (+5.0%)
    SM 3.0: 6,338 (+5.3%)
    CPU: 3,253 (+7.0%)
    res: 1280x1024

PCMark05: 8,291 (+7.9%)
    wPrime 32M: 16.46 s (5.8% faster)
    wPrime 1024M: 517.46 s (6.0% faster)

Cinebench 11.5 64-bit
    OpenGL: 26.46 fps (+8.9%)
    CPU: 2.98 pts (+6.8%)
    CPU (single core): 0.99 pts (+13.8%)
    CPU MP Ratio: 3.03 (-5.0%)

FYI: comparing 820 to 720
    820 base freq is +8.1%
    820 turbo freq is +9.3%

9. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    memtest86+, also available on SysRescCD (which is the most useful recovery / partitioning utility boot CD evar). It will actually test the RAM for subtle arrors (and form an effective hardware stress test for the RAM and related cooling) - you can run it overnight with all the RAM in and see if it turns anything up. [Although your test re: just getting the damn things recognized answered your more immediate question.] Some folks routinely do this with new machines as a burn-in tool anyway.

Oh, I haven't any right to complain given how long most here have waited, I ordered mine last week. It's irritating that they waited until ship date to inform me of the shortage though . . . the main purpose of the post was to warn that the availability codes seem to mean nothing, so don't get your hopes TOO up.

10. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FYI -- I get this exact same "bad sleep" problem occasionally as well, with the same symptoms (e.g. lights) you report. I have 16GB RAM and haven't made any RAM changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.