*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah,... not to good indeed.
    There will be more fixes coming from HP till the issue is resolved. Unfortunate. Dunno what to say, Knight.
    The fan+sleep issue is the least bothersome - as was mentioned, many systems are plagued with this problem.

But the crashes are the real pain. I really hope that Service Pack 1 will make things better.
    In fact what you can do is download the SP1 beta from a torrent and try it. You got nothing to lose, really.

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    still working on stuff...will post a detailed log soon

3. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    8:58pm - CRASH while installing Win7 Updates (browsing web on Firefox too)

10:21 - CRASH after 3 Sleep/Wake Cycles (running GPU-Z, HWmonitor, Firefox..temps mid 50s)

10:24 -system hangs on startup at "Starting Windows"
    -Off/On - Chose Startup Repair - chose not to revert to earlier state, system check finishes at 10:43 finding nothing

10:45 - successful startup
    -checked System Logs - find 3 errors at startup, same as on last system, leave them alone for now

10:50 - CRASH after 3 Sleep/Wake Cycles (running nothing)

10:51 - system hangs on startup at "Starting Windows"
    -Off/On, skip repair option, Start Normally successfully

11:10 - CRASH after 2 Sleep/Wake
    -tried starting in safe mode, system hung there too, off/on good to go

11:20 - disabled the 3 errors in System Logs as shown by Traxus
    - tested Sleep/Wake, crash after only 1
    -this time system started up normally (no hang then 2nd restart required)

11:30 - Sleep/Wake CRASH after 3
    -systen started normally, but went into CRASH mode as soon as Desktop appeared
    -next startup was fine

11:37 - shutdown, remove RAM from DIMMs 3 and 4

11:53 - Sleep/Wake goes 4 before crashing
    -------------Change to Old System--------------
    12:00 - Move RAM to old system, intall in DIMMs 3 and 4

system is very unstable, worst I've seen yet, go into Safe Mode, System Log is Full of errors...I did check system settings after installing RAM, it recognized all 8 GB...RAM in old system was Samsung, new system had some big (M) logo on it...going to uninstall RAM now

Observations:
    (1)Getting rid of the 3 errors in startup (System Logs) did nothing to help sleep/wake/crash, but it might have helped recovering from a crash y getting me going in one start...questionable though.

(2) Removing RAM from DIMMs 3 and 4 did not solve sleep/wake/crash, but it might have made the system a little more stable, haven't had time to do more sleep/wake/crash tests.

(3) Installing RAM in old system went bad. I'll update after uninstalling RAM.

EDIT: I couldn't resist giving the old system one more boot, I started up just fine. Looking back at the earlier erros, they all end with "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I wonder if it just needed a clean shutdown. More sleep/wake to come.
    ---still on old system----
    12:44 - After clean start, Sleep/Wake - fan on med (as "normal")...Sleep takes longer to finish, then Waking actually reboots...system crashes 2 mins after hitting desktop...seems like the second sleep really messes things up.

1:33 - my old system is only recognizing 2 of 4GB RAM. Tried re-seating them both. Can't take any more....going to bed.

4. AlbertRaccoon

AlbertRaccoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yup. One 8740w doing fine here (except for the "fan on medium on wake-up" problem, but I don't mind).

So far, the only explanation I see for the difference between working and crashing units is Core i5 vs Core i7.

5. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't seem to find a way to do that. In the "sensor" section, it only shows temperatures -- I've looked through all of the sections that can be added to a report, and I don't see any fans listed.

I just tried that now and it crashed soon after rebooting.

6. AlbertRaccoon

AlbertRaccoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Indeed, I can't seem to find a fan speed logging software for the 8740w. I tried Everest, HW Monitor, Speedfan, ... with no result.

7. valentino 46

valentino 46 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, 720QM seems to be the problem.:rolleyes:

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Nope, Tyraxus got an i7 and no crashes so far.

9. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ahh, this is a very interesting observation...the idea that an update might be the culprit here. Let me follow this further. In an earlier message, you said:

Can you confirm that when you initially installed Windows 7, you did not experience any crashes (admittedly the system was in that state for a very short time)? When exactly did you experience the first crash? Was it after you installed Windows updates, or HP updates? I think in my case I didn't experience the first crash until after I had installed at least one or more Windows updates -- but again, that too was a short period of time.

The data point that you did not initially experience the fan spinning up after a resume from sleep is also intriguing. This also suggests that an update could be at fault.

I wonder whether Windows 7 running in a virtual machine (like VirtualBox or Windows Virtual PC) could trigger the crash. If so, it would be possible (albeit time consuming!) to load up an initial install, and save snapshots of the disk image after each set of updates are applied. The VM could be experimented with in these different snapshot states to see which state started to trigger the crash issue.

If the crash isn't reproducible from within a VM, I suppose another way would be to install Windows from scratch on one disk partition, then immediately snapshot that onto several other partitions. Each partition could then be updated with progressively more updates, and as with the VMs, each partition could be experimented with to see where the crash issue started to show up.

If the Windows option to checkpoint the system after each update is reliable, then that might be another way to experiment with the system in various states of update-application. I'm somewhat skeptical of the Windows checkpoint though, in capturing the exact system state. If it's not reliable, this could just be a huge time waster.

I'll think about this some more, and might give one of these approaches a shot.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Wish I had my system already and could join you guys.
    I think, what you suggested might be a good way of looking for the culprit. I'd do the minimal install (not from HP recovery partition, but from a W7 DVD) and if no crashes happen - create the initial image. Then (disregarding the HP assistant) manually installing updates (as you suggested) and probably giving a try to the SP1 beta in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.