*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I've got my beloved keyboard installed on the new machine. Looks like the BIOS version is the same.

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68CAD Ver. F.03, 4/28/2010

One thing I did not realize was that DIMMs 1 & 4 are under the keyboard, 2 & 3 are on the bottom. I suppose I'll have to downgrade to match my old system which currently has sticks in 1 and 2 (1 is under the keyboard, 2 is on the bottom). But does it make a difference? If I am only running 2 sticks, can I put them both on the bottom (2 and 3)? The backlit keyboard will be more of pain to deal with since the power ribbon needs to be disconnected to get to the RAM (the other 2 ribbons can stay put).

Time for driver updates, I'll follow your suggested order Aikimox.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    waiting for your feedback, Knight.

3. knight427

Reputations:
    8:58pm - crash while installing Win7 Updates

been running ok since, HP Support Assistant indicates I already have current video and chipset drivers by not including those in the list of required updates...how do I confirm my driver versions manually? (sorry so stupid here)

4. resillusion

resillusion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here! I was contacted by another person within HP because I was sent a survey about my order experience and basically gave it a big fat 'F'. This guy was a "Customer Champion" or something like that. This guy confirmed the reason for the delay as the DC monitor (as we all know) and told me that it is currently shown in their system to be shipping by the end of the month. I wrote back and told him that had better be the case or I'd be moving on. So we'll see. I used to check my order status every day. Now I'm just sorta waiting for the shipment e-mail. It's sorta depressing...

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Goto device manager. Easiest way to get there is to hit start and type in "device manager". Double click the device in question and click the driver tab.

6. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A note of warning: every single part of my order has stock code "H" and nothing is listed as backordered, yet I am currently in the limbo of "temporary material shortage" and on indefinite delay.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  7. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lol, you know what's sucky? It's supposed to be arriving here @ home the day after I'm supposed to leave here for a week... :eek: :( I guess I'll wait the day to the 1st, but that better not turn into the 2nd! face'll have to turn to :mad: :mad:

8. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like I'll be getting my system Friday.

I opted for the freedos config and I wonder if it'll make any difference in regards to the crashing problems since I am doing a completely clean installation of Windows 7 using my own license.

9. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But if you'd been sitting watching you order sit in back-order for a month and a half you couldn't help but get excited seeing some motion. When did you order? Mine was 4/20.

10. knight427

Reputations:
    OK, video driver is up-to-date. Is "chipset": Computer>ACPI x64-based PC? If so, that's up-to-date as well.

Things are going well so far. It seems to have acted like my old system after reinstalling the OS. It crashed a lot while getting things going, but has settled down.

Oops, i just tested Sleep Mode and the fan kicked in when I woke it up. Temps are mid 40s and declining. So one update or another must be to blame. What a mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.