*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resillusion

resillusion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here! I was contacted by another person within HP because I was sent a survey about my order experience and basically gave it a big fat 'F'. This guy was a "Customer Champion" or something like that. This guy confirmed the reason for the delay as the DC monitor (as we all know) and told me that it is currently shown in their system to be shipping by the end of the month. I wrote back and told him that had better be the case or I'd be moving on. So we'll see. I used to check my order status every day. Now I'm just sorta waiting for the shipment e-mail. It's sorta depressing...

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Goto device manager. Easiest way to get there is to hit start and type in "device manager". Double click the device in question and click the driver tab.

3. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A note of warning: every single part of my order has stock code "H" and nothing is listed as backordered, yet I am currently in the limbo of "temporary material shortage" and on indefinite delay.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lol, you know what's sucky? It's supposed to be arriving here @ home the day after I'm supposed to leave here for a week... :eek: :( I guess I'll wait the day to the 1st, but that better not turn into the 2nd! face'll have to turn to :mad: :mad:

5. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like I'll be getting my system Friday.

I opted for the freedos config and I wonder if it'll make any difference in regards to the crashing problems since I am doing a completely clean installation of Windows 7 using my own license.

6. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But if you'd been sitting watching you order sit in back-order for a month and a half you couldn't help but get excited seeing some motion. When did you order? Mine was 4/20.

7. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    OK, video driver is up-to-date. Is "chipset": Computer>ACPI x64-based PC? If so, that's up-to-date as well.

Things are going well so far. It seems to have acted like my old system after reinstalling the OS. It crashed a lot while getting things going, but has settled down.

Oops, i just tested Sleep Mode and the fan kicked in when I woke it up. Temps are mid 40s and declining. So one update or another must be to blame. What a mess.

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah,... not to good indeed.
    There will be more fixes coming from HP till the issue is resolved. Unfortunate. Dunno what to say, Knight.
    The fan+sleep issue is the least bothersome - as was mentioned, many systems are plagued with this problem.

But the crashes are the real pain. I really hope that Service Pack 1 will make things better.
    In fact what you can do is download the SP1 beta from a torrent and try it. You got nothing to lose, really.

9. knight427

Reputations:
    still working on stuff...will post a detailed log soon

10. knight427

Reputations:
    8:58pm - CRASH while installing Win7 Updates (browsing web on Firefox too)

10:21 - CRASH after 3 Sleep/Wake Cycles (running GPU-Z, HWmonitor, Firefox..temps mid 50s)

10:24 -system hangs on startup at "Starting Windows"
    -Off/On - Chose Startup Repair - chose not to revert to earlier state, system check finishes at 10:43 finding nothing

10:45 - successful startup
    -checked System Logs - find 3 errors at startup, same as on last system, leave them alone for now

10:50 - CRASH after 3 Sleep/Wake Cycles (running nothing)

10:51 - system hangs on startup at "Starting Windows"
    -Off/On, skip repair option, Start Normally successfully

11:10 - CRASH after 2 Sleep/Wake
    -tried starting in safe mode, system hung there too, off/on good to go

11:20 - disabled the 3 errors in System Logs as shown by Traxus
    - tested Sleep/Wake, crash after only 1
    -this time system started up normally (no hang then 2nd restart required)

11:30 - Sleep/Wake CRASH after 3
    -systen started normally, but went into CRASH mode as soon as Desktop appeared
    -next startup was fine

11:37 - shutdown, remove RAM from DIMMs 3 and 4

11:53 - Sleep/Wake goes 4 before crashing
    -------------Change to Old System--------------
    12:00 - Move RAM to old system, intall in DIMMs 3 and 4

system is very unstable, worst I've seen yet, go into Safe Mode, System Log is Full of errors...I did check system settings after installing RAM, it recognized all 8 GB...RAM in old system was Samsung, new system had some big (M) logo on it...going to uninstall RAM now

Observations:
    (1)Getting rid of the 3 errors in startup (System Logs) did nothing to help sleep/wake/crash, but it might have helped recovering from a crash y getting me going in one start...questionable though.

(2) Removing RAM from DIMMs 3 and 4 did not solve sleep/wake/crash, but it might have made the system a little more stable, haven't had time to do more sleep/wake/crash tests.

(3) Installing RAM in old system went bad. I'll update after uninstalling RAM.

EDIT: I couldn't resist giving the old system one more boot, I started up just fine. Looking back at the earlier erros, they all end with "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I wonder if it just needed a clean shutdown. More sleep/wake to come.
    ---still on old system----
    12:44 - After clean start, Sleep/Wake - fan on med (as "normal")...Sleep takes longer to finish, then Waking actually reboots...system crashes 2 mins after hitting desktop...seems like the second sleep really messes things up.

1:33 - my old system is only recognizing 2 of 4GB RAM. Tried re-seating them both. Can't take any more....going to bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.