*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The "burning" question :) -- does it resume from sleep mode without the fan turning on? If so, what BIOS version does it have?

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I edited my last post...no sleep problem. How do I check BIOS version? I'm in the middle of switching keyboards. Logging off old computer now.

EDIT: just remembered client needed something by end of day at it's getting late, gotta abort the keyboard swap and do some work, then family time until 8...be back later tonight with more updates

3. kartik_subbarao

Reputations:
    Run msinfo32.exe, look for "BIOS Version/Date" on the main page.

Interesting that you are still getting crashes but the sleep problem is gone. Do you still get the 30-second high-fan warning before each crash?

4. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    The new system is currently keyboardless, so I'll check the BIOS tonight. The fan does ramp up to high about 30s before crash just as my old system does.

My plan for tonight:
    1) finish keyboard swap
    2) check BIOS on new system
    3) start installing stuff on new system noting how many times it crashes
    4) eventually uninstall RAM in dimms 3 and 4 and observe crashing
    5) install RAM into old system in dimms 3 and 4 and observe crashing

other ideas you want em to try?

gotta go now

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Knight427,

Good luck! Keep in mind, usually you have to follow a specific order of driver installation. For example: OS install, updates, video driver, chipset driver, rest of the drivers. You can install the chipset driver before the video driver.

6. kartik_subbarao

Reputations:
    FYI -- I just logged a case with HP Business Notebook support and have pointed them to our discussions on this forum as well as the HP Support Forum. Hopefully this will help us get some more attention on the problem.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Thank you Kartik. You are right, we lack some attention from HP. Dell reps are constantly present on these boards and there's always someone to turn to in case of a problem.
    I wish we had the same regarding HP products.

8. lethial

lethial Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Kartik: it doesn't show fan speeds? That is weird, did you make sure that you customize the report so that fan speeds are recorded as well?

@Knight427: I am so jealous of you with your 8740ws. I'd settle for just one! :)

Now about the whole turbo mode business. The reason that I mentioned it as a prime suspect, is not so much about the temperature, but rather the "feature" that it has which dynamically turn off cores, and more importantly turn off the memory subsystem.

Given that there were issues with system memory for the 8740w, which is fixed now, I am bit nervous of having to also worry about the state of the memory subsystem.

To make matter worse (possibly) we are dealing with batteries, which all have their own characteristics when it comes to how fast and how stably can they supply a voltage level at the amperage needed.

Have you tried running the system with battery removed but connected to the power outlet?

9. adshakil

adshakil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did anyone call HP regarding DC2 availability since the status in the orders are changing?

Shakil

10. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We have at least two people here with new 8740ws that *don't* have these issues, right?

If everyone is having problems I might just give up on this and settle for the Dell, especially given my now-indeterminate ship date.

I found a different way to check my order status, and it seems to be indicating that everything is *in* stock on the line-item breakdown, so I'm really confused now. And one thing has request dates of 06/14, while the other has 07/04 and that 07/16 ship date . . . . SO CONFUSED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.