*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasbinde

vasbinde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have emailed a PM in HP's SMB group to find out if he knows about the crashing with 4 RAM slots full issue.

I'll let you know what I hear.

2. vasbinde

Reputations:
    By the way, for those who actually have the unit in hand, what do you all think of the size and weight of this unit?

Is it doable? Especially traveling with it? I wouldn't necessarily be using it on airplanes, (that's what an iPad is for ;) ), but I would be carrying around through airports, etc.

I'm debating between the 8540w and 8740w. I like the 8740 because of the better graphics card option (better ATI option), larger screen size for viewing on a desk at hotels or the office, and the backlit keyboard. But the larger size and weight of the 8740w may put me off.

Thoughts?

Best Wishes,
    Eric

3. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try carrying a 7-8 lbs weight with you in your bag to see how it would be like carrying it around. I carry my 7+ lbs laptop to school everyday, so I'm used to it but if it weren't my only computer (can't bring down a desktop where I live), I'd definitely prefer a smaller one.

4. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    anyone tested the run time of the battery (normal web browsing, light work)

just curious...

5. vasbinde

Reputations:
    The thing is, up till now, I've been carrying around two computers: a 17" MBP and an HP 2730p. However, the weight and size of the 8740w is actually larger than the 17" MBP. Because of that I am debating things.

What about the comparison with the 8540w? What made those of you choose the 87 over the 85?

6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I was going to get the 8540w but I really wanted a backlit keyboard on top of everything else it offered. Then I found out the 8740w was getting the backlighting while the sales rep had no idea when the 8540w would be getting it. I then noticed the 8740w is 0.5lbs lighter than my Sony. I rationalized that having a GPU that was bench marked 60% higher (in gaming) would compensate me for added weight (which I knew I could handle b/c I was already carrying more).

Also, I will never buy a laptop w/o backlighting again (unless my uses change significantly some day). Even my father (who just left after visiting this weekend) commented how nice it was to have the backlighting and now considers it an important feature for his next laptop. I know it's not for everyone, but it is definitely for me.

EDIT: I just ran 3DMark2001 so I could directly compare my 8740w to my Sony (plus I wanted to see if GPU-Z would log successfully). I got 36,020 as compared to 1,606 from my Sony. Big surprise there. Anyway, the GPU temps never exceeded 61, though the test lasted only about 8 mins and only occasionally pushed the GPU load into the 90+% range.

EDIT2: The ATI drivers from HP's website did not fix the crash problem. It happened once today while browsing NBR (nothing else running but Firefox). I'd install BIOS F.04 but what's up with the warning about no going back to F.03? Should I worry about that?

7. elevul

elevul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello.
    I read the first posts, but there was nothing there.
    So I wanted to ask: has there been a review of the panel of this mobile workstation? I need informations specifically on the gamut and color fidelity.

8. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're referring to the DC2 panel, then the answer is no, since no one has one yet.

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    If everything goes well, the DC2 will be available from 21st of June. So by mid July I'll get my hands on it and make a review. So far - everything is a speculation.

10. elevul

elevul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Understood.
    Thank you for the answer. :)
    I'll be back by end of July, then. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.