*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    For the 25$ I'd give it a try anyway. If it doesn't fit tight enough - you can always add a shim/pad. But it will surely provide a better heat transfer.

Also, looking at your tests... have you noticed the reduced clocks of the FirePro? Maybe that's the reason for lower temps. I still find it difficult to believe that the cooling on this machine is so good. :)

2. Tyraxus

Tyraxus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone that is experiencing crashes opened a case with HP? If so, have they yielded any results?

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Are you experiencing them as well?

4. Tyraxus

Tyraxus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I cannot seem to get the system to crash. I've tried running multiple stress tests / benchmarks and different power configurations.

The one issue that I am experiencing is the fan running at full after coming out of sleep. I'm betting this is a BIOS problem. There is a setting in the BIOS that you can check to have the fan run on full when the system is plugged in. I disabled that setting and it stays off (if cool) until it wakes out of sleep.

I'm just hoping that anyone that experiences crashes opens a case with HP. Otherwise, how will they address or even know about the issue?

Also, just as an FYI, it doesn't appear that this system suffers from any throttling that has been so problematic with the i7's in laptops.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah, fan's behavior will be fixed with a BIOS update.
    We should notify HP.

6. DEJAD

DEJAD Newbie

Reputations:
    When I play games, video card runs at full power, it can be seen in the screenshot ...
    Video card is very good, this is the reason why I chose this laptop...

p.s. And there is an analog ThinPad Power Manager for HP Elitebook?

Attached Files:

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Wow, I like the temps! Could you choose it (GPU-Z) to show the max readings for all sensors and play again? I wonder what are the peak/max temps in BFBC2?

8. DEJAD

DEJAD Newbie

Reputations:
    As I said, video card is very cool ...
    The laptop is quiet, the fan noise is barely audible above the temperature did not exceed 80 degrees

Attached Files:

• Max.jpg
      Max.jpg
      File size:
      263.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Amazing!
    I have to wait another month (at least) because of that DC2 screen. :cry: :swoon:

10. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I installed ATI Workstation Video/Graphics Driver for Microsoft Windows Windows 7 as suggested by Sotton. I guess I'll have to wait for a few days to conclude it is helps.

EDIT: I just spent about 30 min playing Portal. I thought I had the log file all set up to record everything, but it stopped logging data after I started playing. I also forgot that it wouldn't update the Sensor monitors while it was in the background, so the whole time I was gaming it seemed like the temps hadn't gone anywhere. I think now that I checked the box to update the screen while it is in the background, it should log ok, but I'm going to bed and will have to try again later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.