*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I had a few more crashes tonight. I'm less convinced it relates directly to Sleep mode now. I got one out of no where, one 20 min into playing Portal (was running GPU-Z but lost log file data in crash) and one more after Sleep.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Look into event viewer for error logs. Though it would require a lot of work to pinpoint the problem. Too bad.
    do you have 2 or 4 RAM sticks?

3. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another question popped into my head: This machine is a wee bit on the not-so-light side, and I'm thinking I'll finally start using a backpack. Any advice on good carrier packs for a workstation of this size?

One reason I've stuck with a normal carry case thus far is that I run a lot (partly because it's fun, partly because I'm usually late for something), and case held away from body = not slamming around and risking damage [but rather tiring to the arms!]. So (if one exists), I'd really like a backpack that sits reasonably stable when running and bounding up and down stairs and such. Er, and is unlikely to fail. (I invariably end up overloading all but the sturdiest backpacks - but I think I'll be a lot more careful with one holding my shiny toy!)

Who me, picky? :p

4. DEJAD

DEJAD Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought a HP 8740w - i520M, 4GB, M7820, WSXGA +
    The video card is very cold, the temperature does not exceed 70 degrees C, but the processor is a little hot under load, wPrime warmed up it to 85 degrees ...
    the fan becomes loud only when the processor is above 80 degrees.
    The first screenshot shows the scores with turbo boosts, the second without...

Attached Files:

5. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He was referring to the suggestion that he try the official AMD drivers - their website doesn't list the Mobility FirePro cards anywhere (except for two of them noted as being supported with a new Stream SDK package), and the driver pages don't have them in any category's dropdown, nor will they produce anything when supplying the model number directly.

Quite irritating, but not unusual for high-end, possibly-exclusive notebook cards, unfortunately. :(

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I've been using the Orion AW backpack for a year and so far only positive feedback.

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    You can do 2 things to improve the temps: replace the thermal paste and buy a heatsink for quad core cpu's from HP (it's not expensive). The HS for dual core processors has only one pipe while the one for quads has 2. This will greatly improve the temps.
    I'll look for a reference number... here you go!

10. DEJAD

DEJAD Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you sure that it is possible to put on the HS of quad core processor, instead of the dual-core?
    the instructions written
    For use only with computer models equipped with Quad Core processors 597570-001
    For use only with computer models equipped with Dual Core processors 596048-001

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.