*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 1*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by SecretAsianMan, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Told ya ;) This is a great system and you should be thankful :p

Congrats! Pics! And game benches! :cool:

2. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Now xrx, go to the thread on HP's site about the memory problem and remove the posts where you tell the world not to buy HP. :p j/k... you're free to do anything you wish. ;)

3. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Here are some pics for your enjoyment. now that it's nearly dark out, I'm REALLY loving the backlit keyboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    smaller is 120W for Sony, bigger is 200W for HP

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    That is one beautiful machine!

5. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And a beautiful house and office to boot.. Love that desk!!!

6. knight427

Reputations:
    3DMark06 - 12,373
    SM 2.0: 5,111
    SM 3.0: 6,020
    CPU: 3040
    res: 1280x1024

I can now see the keyboard bowing, but is is not severe and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. There is also some flex around the numpad area, but nothing like you get with an Asus. The keys are actually getting smudged, which I think is going the be biggest annoyance. I'll also have to find a good safe cleaner for the metal finish. It is does not show finger prints like a glossy finish, but they do leave a mark. This is all picky superficial stuff though. I wouldn't trade this for anything at this point. No regrets (yet).

7. Mahathey

Mahathey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How is the mouse-pad? Any issues while using it?

8. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But knight427, you must not have ever hear the saying (from the M&K folks I believe) "there's no speaker grills like no speaker grills!" ;) So do I spy Tannoys there behind the grill or Lowthers or other FR? (tho I'll admit while I keep my Tannoys exposed I do keep my M&Ks under wraps as dust sticks to the tweeters)

9. knight427

Reputations:
    @83bj60: Thanks, we bought this house in March and I got my desk in April (after bootstrapping my business from the kitchen table in my townhouse for 5 yrs). The desk is at Macy's, I can probably find it if you happen be in the market for a desk.

@m8o: Good eye! Tannoy Sensys DC1 to be exact. Got them cheap from a manufacturer's rep (their demo pair). I love 'em, super flat (measured the freq response myself). And I'd rather keep them dust free than gain back that 0.01dB which no one can perceive anyway (they might think they can, but try a double blind test).

Oh, and speaking of sound. This laptop is very quiet. When I ran 3Dmark06, it was as loud as my Sony is when it is under light use. I'll do some actual measurements later, got lots of other stuff to do for now.

@Mahathey: I haven't used the mouse pad much. I'm trying to train myself on the pointing stick. I've always hated mouse pads and used a portable bluetooth mouse with my Sony (trying to ween myself off that and only use it for AutoCAD). I just tried some gestures, didn't do anything. Do I need to turn them on somehow? I don't care to much, but I'm happy to play around it for others.

EDIT: why do I have a Program Files folder and Program Files (x86) folder? Everything I've installed has gone into the (x86) folder by default.

10. lostbuyer

lostbuyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The (x86) folder gets 32-bit apps, the other gets 64-bit. The separation is actually rather handy, especially if you run two versions of the same program.

Also, as a longtime thinkpad user, I have to say the trackpoint is a wonderful wonderful thing.
    (Is the pad multi-touch, and if so do you get different buttons for different numbers of fingers tapping? I love this feature on my Eee 1000.)

Also also, anyone get the SSD and know what make it is? I have a question in but haven't gotten a reply yet. If it's a decent one I might cough up the premium to get it from them for the system preload convenience (which is stupid, 'cause I know I'll want to reinstall in short order prior to dual booting, but meh).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.