*HP EliteBook 8730w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by darkmax, Nov 17, 2008.

1. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I tried the NEC utility on my PA301W connected through DVI-D using the old docking station and see no banding at all rumning the test... Hmmm! Seems to indicate it's running 10bit...

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

2. 83bj60

Reputations:
    I just ran the test anyway using the docking station and it seems successful...

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

3. 83bj60

Reputations:
    The NEC PA301W doesn't have an HDMI port... And the NEC test says if there's no 10 bit the app closes after showing banding in the left window. Well it doesn't :)

NEC PA301W 10 bit Color Test.png

Maybe the fact we're going through the docking station makes a difference? Anyway that screen is the best I've ever had and works fantastic with pictures and printing as well, no aggravations printing anymore :)

The best thing is I got TWO of them, one at home and one at my mothers (I try to stay with her a couple of days every week, she's 92 :) ) and I got them both for a pittance from a software engineer who switched to 8K ;)

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    The NEC app would not run if you are 8bit or lower.

Sorry I can't be of help. My display has DP and DVI only and I don't have HDMI to DP cable, or I would have tested it. Anyway I sold my 8730w DC recently, so it's only the 8740w now and it drives the display perfectly through DP.

5. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Great to know - it would seem to confirm that what I'm experiencing is not a fluke and what I read from Tomilsav Matic at linustetchtips.com, who says "Up to 48 bits per pixel are supported in dual link DVI, and is optional. If a mode greater than 24 bits per pixel is desired, the least significant bits are sent on the second link. 24 bits is 8 bit color (rgb-3x8=24)"

Following up on nVidia, the company indicates here that [professional applications] "use OpenGL 10-bit per color buffers which require an NVIDIA Quadro GPU with DisplayPort connector. A small number of monitors support 10-bit per color with Quadro graphics cards over DVI.(bold characters mine)", of which the NEC PA301W would presumably be one.

In other words, the Quadro FX 2700m and 3700m are indeed 10 bit capable at least in OpenGL and over DisplayPort and, with some hardware, on DVI-D as well.

Indeed, I don't own an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter which would be required to test the HDMI output to my panel. So, no idea whether the HDMI port on the 8730w has the 10 bit ability, never mind the issues you may be facing with an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, which would probably need to be of the active type, which are not always very reliable because especially since UBS ports can be an issue because of insufficient power or operating system power management.

I believe your best bet in any case would be to acquire a docking station - I couldn't live without mine, that's for sure, but it's got VGA and Dual Link DVI only. The 8740w docking station, OTOH, although it has physical Dual Link DVI, is only Single Link internally (damn beancounters :mad: ) and only works well through DisplayPort.

Man! :eek: I'm disappointed you did :(. I'd be like selling my old Toyota Landcruiser. I'd ever do that ;-) But indeed the 8740w works perfectly for that. It's just that pesky DC2 magenta color balance issue, and not being able to find a battery that the machine can boot off of. Thanks for the link, BTW :vbthumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  6. triturbo

Reputations:
    I'm not particularly happy about it either, but it was just sitting there, rarely seeing usage, so it's better someone to enjoy it. Still can't get my head around, why it was spot-on and the DC2s were magenta. I have a theory, but it wont change anything, so yeah, I hope someone helps us with fixing it. Anyway, got carried a bit. I got not a bad amount of money off it, so it's all good.

83bj60 likes this.
  7. Kristijonas

Kristijonas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you both for discussing his!

I would also like to ask if you'd know - if I removed the dvdrw from my 8730w and replaced it with a HDD caddy - would it have SATA2 speeds? Or some kind of other interface and speed? Really curious as I'd like to use two SSDs on this machine.

8. triturbo

Reputations:
    Yes, it would.

Kristijonas likes this.
  9. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Speaking of replacing the optical drive - anyone know whether it can be put in an eSATA enclosure and used as a bootable device?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

10. triturbo

Reputations:
    I think it can on 8730w and can't (boot eSATA) on 8740w. The second is certain, the former - check your BIOS. If there's an eSATA boot option and/or there's eSATA in the boot priority list, then you are all set, just make sure to get that eSATA option all the way up, or keep pressing F9 while booting to get the boot menu up.

83bj60 likes this.