*HP EliteBook 8730w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by darkmax, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Kristijonas

Kristijonas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    DISABLING INTEL AMT

Would someone by chance have tools to disabled Intel's AMT from the 8730w (or 8740w)?

Sources about the issue:
    https://mattermedia.com/blog/disabling-intel-amt/
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/29/intel_management_engine_can_be_disabled/
    http://blog.ptsecurity.com/2017/08/disabling-intel-me.html

Looks like a simple BIOS switch exists, but I have no experience with BIOS modding whatsoever.
    I know there is more than one way to disable it fully. From flashing the AMT chip on the motheboard to tweaking the BIOS.

I realize not all care about this, so please don't feel judged if you don't!

Moreover, does anyone here have whitelist-removed BIOS for 8730w/8740w? I want to use a different wifi module or usb but can't because of the whitelist.

If someone could make a BIOS version for either of these laptops that would have the wifi whitelist removed and Intel AMT fully disabled, it would definitely make these the best laptops of them all... I would even love to add financially for such work with 50$ or so (hey, it's big for me!).

2. Vitosha

Vitosha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to take a couple 8730w's and equip them with T9900 processors as well as 1920*1200 WUXGA screens (or perhaps the Dreamcolor versions). My question is: Which parts do I need to exchange/ upgrade in the following case:

One of my 8730w's only has a T9600 with a 1680*1050 screen (HP product: FN034UT#ABA). Do I only need to replace the following parts in order to get the upgraded hardware running?

• Heat sink: Upgrade from 494012-001 to 494011-001
    • Motherboard: Upgrade to 493980-001. Are there different versions of the the motherboard that would not be compatible? Do I understand correctly that the 493980-001 motherboard always includes the Nvidia Quadro FX 2700M graphics card?

Thanks a lot for any advice in advance!

3. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    IIRC, someone from HP had said many moons ago when the machine was THE laptop to get, that the 493890-001 motherboard was required for the hungrier video card and Dreamcolor screen, so upgrading video card and screen wasn't recommended on the standard model motherboard. You do need the nVidia dual pipe heatsink for sure for the FX2700M. With a T9800 CPU and the FX2700M temps are quite reasonable. Unless the T9900 is much different in power output, I wouldn't worry, this laptop doesn't get as hot as the DC equipped 8740w ;-)

The 493890-001 motherboard I purchased for $20 last year when the power MOSFETs blew on my original one during a Google Earth session (Man, I hate poor coding!) was bare except for the PC card blank insert.

Do keep in mind that this combo is much more power hungry than the lower end model. That's what I liked about the laptop I gave my son last fall - It lasted much longer on battery than mine.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

Vitosha likes this.
  4. Vitosha

Reputations:
    @83bj60 Thanks for your input. Yes, the bigger heat sink is required with any processor including or above T9700. However, I am still unsure if there are is a different version of the motherboard besides# 493980-001. If so, what is the HP spare part#?

Are there any other parts besides the motherboard and heatsink that need to be exchanged to get a WUXGA or dreamcolor screen working?

5. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Good question - I looked it up in the Maintenance and Service Guide and apparently, the other motherboard is for the quad core processor, 501508-001. So as long as you're not using a quad core processor, you're good to go with your existing motherboard. I stand corrected :)

If you stay with a WUXGA screen, no other parts are necessary, but for the DC screen conversion you will need the ambient light sensor 495029-001, which is different from the inverter 494001-001, and the 495607-001 display cable, which is different from the standard 494005-001 cable.

Be aware that there are quite a lot of FAKE DC screen out there - they are advertised as DC screens but are actually questionable 'compatibles'. I would not take a chance with one, it's been tried before with disastrous result (blown motherboard).

For more part number info check the "HP EliteBook 8730w Mobile Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide", HP publication part number 485066-001.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Vitosha likes this.
  6. Vitosha

Reputations:
    Thank you again, 83bj60. I had seen this guide some years ago already but completely forgot about it.

Concerning the fake DC screens, I figure the best ones would be the used ones that include the original HP frame still. I actually did not see many 8730w dreamcolor displays for sale at all. Are you referring to ebay offers from China?

And last but not least I need to ask this again: Does the motherboard include the graphics card or are they separate? If so, I would have to buy a Quadro FX 2700M as well.

7. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Indeed - I always make sure to ask for pictures and part numbers. I've had a fake sent to me by an online store here in Canada and promptly returned it. There are simply no substitutes for these screens. The motherboard does NOT include the video card. To get authentic parts your best bet would be to get parted out components.

Good luck finding parts, especially DC related ones - because they've become EXTREMELY rare. I have a search going on and have seen nothing in ages, at least nothing at a reasonable price. Unless you consider more than $200 reasonable for a used DC screen (best deal in ages, other sellers are asking more than $1,000), cables and ambient light sensors are quite rare as well.

Do you have access to an unpublished parts source? These kind of components sometimes end up showing up as NOS surplus...

Vitosha likes this.
  8. Vitosha

Reputations:
    Ok, so it is the motherboard and graphic card that need to be replaced.

Concerning the dream color displays, I have also hardly found them on ebay each time I checked over the past few years. However, if they require additional parts (display cable & light sensor) on top of what is required for the regular WUXGA screens, I probably will not change them and just use regular WUXGA.

Interestingly, it also appears that there are different manufacturers of the WUXGA screen. My SF586UP#ABA has a "LG LP171WU3-TLB, whereas my NN268EA has a "Samsung 170CT02-002. However, the Samsung is a lot brighter. What is up with that?

9. 83bj60

Reputations:
    The motherboard, only if you intend to upgrade to a quad core processor!

Replacing the standard backlit screen is a no-brainer ;)

No idea! Different screens, different manufacturers, different quality ;) Heck even the DC screens are completely different one version from the next...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

Vitosha likes this.
  10. Vitosha

Reputations:
    That's great if the motherboard does not need to be replaced for a T9900! Only a new graphic card (perhaps $40 or so) and a new heat sink sounds pretty good of a deal if a cheap WUXGA can be found.

I really like the 8730w's. They are very stable and easy to maintain. But that is how it should be with a notebook that originally cost 2-3k just a few years ago.