*HP EliteBook 8730w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by darkmax, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Kristijonas

Kristijonas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hehe I found these things because I have no life :D

I guess it will be hard to find out if these screens are same as dreamcolor LP171WU5-TLB1.

Though my guess is that they are totally legit. Microscreen is probably a company that made those screens. Googling "Microscreen Dreamcolor" provides quite a lot of results. So those part numbers MSC32154 and MSC32155 were probably only used in transactions from Miscroscreen to LG-Philips, hence why they don't appear publicly (they are not used when resold by LG-Philips).
    I have also seen search results where MSC32155 is mentioned alongside 494014-001 - a code from HP 8730w parts for the screen.

I wish I could try this out, sadly can't spend 400$ on a screen... Even if I really wanted to :D Though it would be really fun trying a glossy dreamcolor screen for 8730w (I'd bravely choose to try MSC32154)

2. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    I tried emailing Microscreen http://www.microscreenllc.com/
    almost a week ago to ask about this screen (and perhaps about its possibility availability from their storages) but they are yet to reply a week later.
    Would someone from USA be willing to give them a short call?

By the way, since this company is based in USA, Indiana, I think it is certainly the manufacturer of the dreamcolor screens :) I mean it certainly is not some fake screen manufacturer from China.

3. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    Wrote a letter to this seller: https://www.amazon.com/MicroScreen-Glossy-LP171WU5-MSC32154-LP171W/dp/B00CBR6QFI
    And got this reply:

"Hello,

this spare part isn't on stock, it comes only order related from overseas. This is why we don´t have a photo of the item.
    A spare part you normally buy by spare part number, not in appearance.

Please compare the OEM item numbers with your old or defective screen: MSC32154, LP171WU5 (TL)(B1), LP171WU5-TL-B1

We cannot get this spare part cheaper. We hope for your understanding.

Kind regards.
    Daniel Kuhlmann"

So it does seem like you can get NEW DC1 screens. Only, they cost 400 bucks. Wish it were possible to get cheaper. Perhaps if MicroScreen itself could be bargained with?

4. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    Ok, false information above. The microscreen company that makes those screens is not the one i linked to and is NOT based in Indiana. Received this reply from the above:

"Hi--MicroScreen manufactures screens and stencils for printing solder paste and inks for the microelectronics industry. We do not make laptop screens. Thank you for your inquiry."

So Microscreen company making laptop screens could very well be a ****ty Chinese screen manufacturer. Still that would be very confusing as I seriously doubt they could have manufactured DC1 in its fullness. Unless they were indeed used by LG-Philips... Gah, so much is unclear.

5. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    Got an offer. 250 euros for a new:

Item No.: MSC32154

OEM part no.: MSC32154, LP171WU5 (TL)(B1), LP171WU5-TL-B1
    Warranty 6 months
    Connector Top Right
    Connector Pin 40
    Display Glossy
    Inches 17,0"
    Resolution 1920X1200
    Type LED WUXGA

Sounds like a dreamcolor glossy screen?? Wonder if it'd come with the accessories (cable and sensor). Now only have to get 250 euros from somewhere :D

6. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Man, that's steep compared to what I paid last summer for my two used DCs, whcih cost me $120 delivered (One is flawless, the other has a slight scratch but it's hardly visible in actual use)

Have them send you a picture of the back and make sure it is indeed the original panel and not some clone! And don't forget DCs are NOT glossy! Also, you do need to get the cable and sensor as well and just in case I missed it, you can only run this panel on the Nvidia FX2700m and FX3700m video cards...

7. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    I'll ask for the pictures, thanks! I have a 3700m already luckily. Where would I get the cable and the sensor please?

8. 83bj60

Reputations:
    I assume you have the right part numbers for your search? The cables and sensors aren't easy to come by, I got the cables from a Lithuanian outfit, had to have it delivered to a cousin in the UK who sent it back to me, as they wouldn't ship outside of the EU at the time. I paid something like $15. I found the ambient light sensor from a UK seller and they shipped directly, cost me around the same amount, IIRC. All from eBay and used, of course, about two years ago or so. Just make sure the cables are properly protected for shipping as the connectors are quite fragile; the sensor is much sturdier but should also be well packed.

9. 83bj60

Reputations:
    By the way I have a motherboard battery charging circuit problem and posted about it there... If you have any ideas let me know ;)

10. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    That's funny, I live in Lithuania myself. You wouldn't happen to have the part numberes of the cables and the sensor? I hope they will be still available at all somewhere! :O