*HP EliteBook 8730w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by darkmax, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Kristijonas

Kristijonas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, still enjoying my 8730w! I was just wondering, since I use this laptop for retro gaming, is it possible to upgrade its sound card internally, somehow? I would like to add a Creative sound card perhaps, to enjoy EAX effects in games. Perhaps a sound card could be easily added internally? Or alternatively would something like a smartcard slot card work? ( like this http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/c5002c/0b7f/5420-IMG7129s.jpg though it's a sound card without a processor sadly )

Also, where would one look for a dreamcolor screen? They seem to be increasingly harder to find. What is its model number?

Also curious, are there glossy dreamcolor screens for 8730w?
    For example in this LINK (is it even a legit shop?) it gives you the option to choose glossy. I would be so happy if I could find it glossy! I really hate coated monitors even though I don't even own any glossy ones at this moment.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    *bump*
    All the questions I asked still remain, please answer if you could guys!
    Also curious if anyone here used an expresscard 4g SIM card "modem" AKA mobile internet, through that slot?

3. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    After some tough time researching I find I found out that dreamcolor screen models are LP171WU5-TLB1 ? Are all LP171WU5-TLB1 = dreamcolor? Because I've seen some "cheap" ones for less than 150 even on ebay and I thought they might be more expensive ?

4. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it's the right part number, but make sure it's not a "compatible" but rather an OEM version, you could fry your video card or motherboard if you install the wrong one, happened to someone some time ago. And NO, there aren't any 'glossy' ones, either. Always ask to see a picture of the back of the screen... I have an upgrade thread in this forum that identifies what a Dreamcolor screen should look like in the back. Also keep in mind that besides the Nvidia video card card, you will also require the special cable and the ambient light sensor, which aren't easy to come by.

As for what is expensive to you it's all in the beholder's eyes... I just got another 8730w for less than CAD100 (USD75) with regular screen. Remember, these machines are very old now and are most likely going to be used, worn, old or any combination of those. At this juncture, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a Dreamcolor screen, unless it was New Old Stock.

Finally - a note of warning to those who are looking at replacing their worn out trackpad - it's a full dismantle or pretty close to replace it, since you need to take the wrist rest apart. When you do, it your machine is your daily driver like mine is, quite a few plastic posts will probably break off as you remove the screws. So replacing just the trackpad is probably not going to cut it, you'll probably have to replace the whole wrist rest assembly. When you order one online make sure it's in A+ condition and that there are no cracked posts! Rubber buttons can be replaced easily from the top, the trackpad, not.

5. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply! Was actually just reading your post here when you replied: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/rgb-led-lp171wu5-for-8730w-anyone-could-help-me.464732/

Could you link me to the upgrade threat where I could read about identifying how Dreamcolor screen's back looks? I have an Nvidia card (3700m) and I suppose I should be able to get that special cable and ambient light sensor on ebay. But why does this display need an ambient light sensor?

And I guess you're right about the prices. I got the impression that they are so high from reading old forum posts. They must be way lower now.

6. 83bj60

Reputations:
    You should be able to get all the info in my upgrade thread here. As for the cable and sensor they aren't easy to come by! Without the ambient light sensor the display just won't come on at all (I tried ;-) )

You can still find them at around that price, but you have to be patient and spend a lot of time searching, because they have become very rare. The main reason you should not pay more than $100 IMO is because these laptops are really old machines. The last ones I got a year or so ago were CAD150 for 2, and I got lucky because my previous screen had just been destroyed in an accident, but they weren't perfect - one can't be dimmed beyond 50% brightness (never bothered me until I brought it in an dim auditorium last winter) and the other has a small scratch, fortunately almost unnoticeable when the screen is on.

If AUD171 sounds good to you you could always check this auction, the screens are new, but you should really make sure this is the real deal, there are no pictures on this auction and the seller states "compatible with"...

7. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    While looking for the screen I thought I'd ask another question:
    My 8730w is making weird sounds when turned off.

When turned off and power cable is taken out, the computer makes silent clicking sound as if a clock is ticking at ~0.3 second intervals. This happens until the computer battery is exhausted.

When turned off and power cable is hot and left inside, the computer is making a high pitched constant, but silent sound. It sounds a bit like coil whine.

Speaking of coil whine, fun fact: There is a computer game who's menu induces coil whine in every GPU I ran that game with. The game's called Risen in case someone wants to hear their GPU sing ;D Risen is also the only game so far that when I run it on my 3700m the laptops fans become crazy loud like in no other application.

8. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    Strange, using an official model number MSC32154 I found a dreamcolor (LP171WU5-TLB1) screen that's... Glossy... How is that possible? The screen model is official and it's LP171WU5-TLB1 but it's glossy.
    MSC32155 is the same LP171WU5-TLB1 but matte. Can anyone elaborate on how to understand this?

9. Kristijonas

Reputations:
    The manufacturer of MSC32154 and MSC32155 is something called "Microscreen". Yet the part number is LP171WU5-TLB1 which indicates it's an LG-Philips product. Did Microscreen manufacture this screen for LG and Philips or is there simply a confusion in many storehouses who claim that Microscreen sells their own LP171WU5-TLB1 AKA MSC32154 ? The specs otherwise are the same, it's a 17" WUXGA screen. Except it's either matte or glossy. Could it be it's some fake Chinese product?

Help, I'm so confused! I found out about this on this page which simply quotes official storage items in Lithuania: http://www.deze.lt/index.php?search...XVTUiO3M6NjoiU3VibWl0IjtzOjc6Ikll8GtvdGkiO30= and then found out it's the same on many other websites so the product is quite official.

10. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Man, you'll have to let us know how you find these things, because you have investigative talents I have rarely seen...Where does that MSC number come from???

OK so I had a look at the link - nowhere do they show a picture of the back and that is PRIMORDIAL to know... If its NOT the same as OEM DON'T try to install it you could fry your motherboard (or at least the MOBO fuse)