*HP EliteBook 8570w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aloysiusq, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misiektoja

misiektoja Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, so I decided to go for regular FullHD version. Something is wrong with these DreamColor2 displays - every display has some kind of color casts (pink/blue/green), besides that white is not white, it is little yellow. Also because of the graininess (personally it does not bother me) the image is not that sharp, it is little blur, at least with some backgrounds. Another thing is that the display gets quite warm/hot at the top of the lid. So though the colors and angles are amazing, for my needs it won't be the best fit. I think HP/LG still needs to work and fix some things on DC2 displays.

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Only Quads support 4 SODIMM slots, so dualcore motherboards have only two slots installed. That at least is the difference. While I'm not 100% certain but I believe you could install a quadcore on a dual motherboard. I have a feeling that someone did it on a 8560w but I'm too lazy to look for it in the owner's thread now :)

3. Tseng

Tseng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heatsink for the quad core CPU has extra capper pipes to help the thermal.
    You might want to check before changing from dual core to quad core CPU.

4. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Colour cast - if there is any return the unit or calibrate the display properly.
    It is a bit yellow if you compare it to standard LED backlit displays which have blue tinting.
    Grain is because of anti-glare coating - like you said it's more visible of certain backgrounds (white/grey).
    Pretty much all IPS screens are warmer than standard TN (AFAIK DC2 is using CCFL backlight).

However you are right - if you have no need or use for it it's a waste.

5. stinger01

stinger01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive in my 8570W and wondering if anyone knows if it is a 7.5mm or 9.0mm drive that I need to buy?

Thanks

6. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    AFAIK standard is 9,5mm but you can also use the bigger 12,5mm. You can always take the drive out and measure it if you want to be sure.

7. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When switching on my 8570w the screen often does not come on. It does happen from cold boot as well as standby. Although in the case of cold boot the screen always comes on after entering my BIOS password (blind of course).
    For Win7 from standby it is very annoying because I have to send it right back into standby (via key combo of course). The second time it has always worked so far.
    Sometimes it doesn't happen for 10 or so wakeups, and then it happens for 5 in a row. Mostly irregular und unpredictable. It's mostly standing on the desk with nothing changing between wakeups.
    Its a dreamcolor display. Must be a BIOS problem, but they haven't issued any video-bios updates so far and the system bios is up to date.

8. misiektoja

misiektoja Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I forgot to give you some update. As I wrote I exchanged the previous model with the ATI FirePro M4000 and regular FullHD version. The rest is the same and it is true that FirePro M4000 is faster than Quadro K2000M and at the same time it is 250-300$ less expensive. Windows Experience Index for the GPU increased from 6.9 to 7.1:

CPU: 7.9
    RAM: 8.1
    GPU: 7.1
    HDD: 8.1

fireprom4000_wei.jpg

At the same time I'm happy I got regular FullHD screen. Despite the colors and angles all the rest is better for me. The screen is more clear, sharper, it does not strain your eyes so much. It is also cold at the top of the lid. I'm only little disappointed with white color which is not white (similar to DC2 version), but little yellow. It is especially visible if you look at other screen, which is really white. But after few minutes you'll get used to it. Overall I'm very happy, though I experience some issues with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WiFi card (dropped packets). I expect to receive package from HP with new card on Monday.

9. stumbler

stumbler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If they use two different boards the answer is NO. Same as old questions from C2D days. Processor runs at full speed till OS loads drivers.Dual core board doesnt have extra power circuitry to light off 4 cores on startup.

10. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug Newbie

Reputations:
    I reckon you own a 8570w? I am thinking of buying one.

Is the BIOS as limited as 8530-series? Is there a way of overclocking it (I am fine with modding the hell out of it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.