HP EliteBook 8570w MXM-B GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by surfinkin, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Which gpu-typ upgrade did you perform?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2018.
  1. MXM-A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MXM=b

100.0%
  1. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes that's what I did exept I also gave the pins a rocking motion till they cut off at their root of the board. It took me around a minute to get the sata (dvd) port off and the pins.

loopster likes this.
  2. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, would it really not fit if you leave the SATA port intact? Kind of a shame to lose it. The MXM card will still work if slightly bent lol

3. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It would indeed work; all it needs is proper pin contact and the heatsink parallelly aligned to the card by bending the copper tubes accordingly. User can make sure if is not interrupting a proper pamlrest / keyboard fitment.

4. loopster

loopster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ended up putting the K4000M into a 8760w which I got on a bargain, and it works without any issues.

jotm likes this.
  5. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I noticed the K4000M has all memory chips populated on the board. This might usually interfere with a proper seating of the card and would only sit a bit slanted due to a small protrusion on the motherboard. So, only cards like GTX970m/GTX870m or M3000M/M4000M would be better choices but someone said the card failed when the power is unplugged to use in battery mode. You never know.

Anyways, I have a small question. What is your feedback on the rear exhaust (is it a proper term? :p) in my machine I barely feel any air even at full speed of the fan whereas the side exhaust port gets full blast. The ports and fins are super clean, no dust buildup whatsoever.

jotm likes this.
  6. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to know!

Could you possibly try saving the vBIOS with GPUZ, to see if the feature works on the 8760W/K4000m combo? Thanks!

7. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah the side vent definitely has more airflow than the rear, which is funny because the GPU on these Elitebooks (and ZBooks) is *very* well cooled, while the CPU constantly has thermal problems. Probably because the GPU heatsink is simply bigger on both ends.

8. loopster

loopster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: