HP EliteBook 8570w MXM-B GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by surfinkin, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Which gpu-typ upgrade did you perform?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2018.
  1. MXM-A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MXM=b

100.0%
  1. PCtinkerer

PCtinkerer Newbie

Reputations:
    I did, and no luck on the VGA port...I do not have a dock. I feel confident I could get everything to work providing I can get an image. I've also tried to remote in; however, I am unable to get the workstation to connect wifi prior to logging in and I can't accomplish that without getting a screen of some sorts.

2. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a few questions:
    1. do you know if it posted successfully by reading some signs.. like fan speed observations, logon screen sound(if os is win7)
    1a. if you know it goes till login screen somehow then try phone light on the screen by keeping it like an inch above and see if you can see screen output at all. this is to check if the backlight isnt triggered when the lcd output is working
    2. what boot mode was it in before doing the gpu upgrade i.e., uefi or legacy
    2a. if uefi, then you need to find a way to switch to legacy bios by doing a blind screen bios reset(assuming it actually posts even with blank screen) or by doing a cmos reset
    2b. if unsuccessful then you gotta shove the old card back in then into bios and select legacy boot mode and then replace card to check whether it displays screen output with the k2200m
    3. what is laptop behaviour after power on button press

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    PCtinkerer likes this.
  3. PCtinkerer

PCtinkerer Newbie

Reputations:
    1.) I can get the fan to kick on, power up then idle back down and hold. No sound for logon (OS is Win7).
    1a.) Haven't tried to illuminate the screen (obviously the backlight isn't on); although I see no change in the screen whatsoever upon boot, I assumed I was getting no signal to it.
    2.) I believe it is in Legacy as I had never changed the boot settings to UEFI...Isn't the default setting in Windows 7 to boot Legacy?
    3.) On most boot ups the fan spools up. Keyboard has power and lights. I get a blinking light code which, if my research served me correct through HP then the steady blinking was a either BIOS issue or Display issue. Their troubleshoot is a bit conflated. The capslock indicator will blink repeatedly or up to a series of 7 blinks which is a troubleshoot message.

I'm at the point, after swapping these cards back and forth multiple times that I have the old K1000M in it. I will attempt to go in and check the boot mode and follow your 2a & 2b guidance. If I confirm it is in a Legacy boot mode and I pop the K2200M card in, and I still have these issues, what direction should I point myself to? Thank you for your help.

4. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    continuation..
    1. (skip to 3rd as this is just extra info that might help further)fan kicks on and off and then never turns on again? plug in power source and make sure the option in bios which states "fan always on when plugged in(or something similar to this)" is checked once you put that k1000m back in. if you are using hdd and not ssd then you can sense the hard drive making a variation of ticking noises for read operations during boot time(lasts approx. one min) which means it is booting and not giving screen output. by default(unless you turn off sound), win 7 will give a sound upon landing on the login screen
    1a. the change in screen can be so subtle that one can't notice it on these ips screens. please try illuminating it by a flash light in close proximity like i mentioned and try reading the screen preferably in the middle region by looking at it from very close. so you can notice the windows logo in boot time and on login screen with the help of light // assuming it turns on that is..
    2. i had a similar experience on an 8770w DreamColor display(connected via eDP port(not LVDS like most displays) on the mainboard)when i upgraded to M5000M as it would not give out display 'after i install driver' and only gave output after i switched to uefi mode(native uefi not hybrid uefi/csm). i think you may also install win7 in uefi mode but i do not have first hand experience on that.
    3. if it is giving out light blinking in a pattern then its not posting.. some sort of hardware incompatibility.
    3a. in this case I would swap back to k1000m and set it to boot mode to uefiand popping the new card in again and test (edit: if forgot the fact that i told in the earlier post to switch to legacy from uefi if it was in uefi in the first place so you can ignore this) . just snap fit the palm rest for quick check but always tighten the heatsink screws all the way as usual
    3b. another easy work around(maynot sound easy but still) is.. if you have a dell m6700 or m6800 or m4700,4800 or something that you can put the card in it to flash a compatible bios that works for your 8570w. for my m5000m on my 8770w and 8760w both dell and hp bioses worked fine. or if you have a bios programmer kit then you can flash it that way too.
    4. (you can ignore this piece) i wouldn't advise but a maxwell card maybe m2000m or gtx965m(1024 cuda) and bios mod the card to run cooler than usual would yield better results with no need for hardware mods. if you're open to hardware mods then a fastest trouble free card to get would be a gtx 970m as 980m(or any 8gb ddr5 cards) has some complexions in the installation.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  5. Codec

Codec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just thought i would post here to showing my take on putting a mxm-b card in a 8570w. First thing is i used a different heatsink, 04CN35 is the part number. At the time of writing they are only about $10 on ebay. It is also the largest one i think you could fit in there. I used a torch to pull off the gpu part on the heatsink and them sanded the cpu part flat.
    The fan on the heatsink is the same type as the main cpu fan so i just spliced the connection so both fans run at the same speed.

Next i protected any non copper metal with thermal expoy and then used liquid metal on the copper to copper areas. Make damn sure none of the liquid metal can get out as i have no idea what the makeup of the silver metal is and if it will react with the LM.

Then i placed the heatsink on the area you can see in the picture. then used lots of jb weld expoy all around it to make sure it is sealed, once a gain to make sure no LM can get out and to make sure its stuck to the heatsink well.

After that i opened up furmark to heat everything up, as epoxy cures MUCH faster wile hot.

I wish i had taken pictures to make this a proper guide but i think the most useful info is the heatsink part number that fits in the cd bay. I also cut some holes in the case and bottom cover to let more air in. I used it like this with a m4000m for about 4 months just fine with the gpu never even hitting 70c. But one time i tried using the system on battery and the card seems to have died the moment i unplugged the ac. I ordered a m3000m to replace it as its 25w less power. But i think i will just remove the battery this time.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

triturbo and jotm like this.
  6. loopster

loopster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you remove that DVD-sata connector which prevents the card from sitting flat on the board?
    Do you have to desolder it, can you cut it away, pull it of carefully, or how do you go about doing that?
    Can you install the card ontop of that connector, and bend the heatsink accordingly?

7. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn, good work!

Does the keyboard fit with that heatsink installed?

8. loopster

Reputations:
    upload_2020-11-6_23-13-17.png
    Anyone know how to get this done? I am tempted to do this mod, as I have a spare k4000m lying around, but obviously I don't want to mess up my machine in the process?

surfinkin likes this.
  9. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is fine, I was there too. What I suggest is considered unprofessional but here it is..'do you know how to break a copper strand?- by repeatedly bending it to the extreme ways at a desired point?' I have done the same at the root points of these pins and they will just fall off, you can try a nail cutter too if you can be careful to cut them off at their root one by one. Please be careful and have fun. The K4000M will most likely work especially if you pulled it from a Dell or HP machine ;)

loopster likes this.
  10. loopster

Reputations:
    Thnaks for your unput, really helpful. Just rock/bend the connector left and right <--> until it lifts off, then cut the pins from beneath? How long did it take you?