HP EliteBook 8570w MXM-B GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by surfinkin, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Which gpu-typ upgrade did you perform?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2018.
  1. MXM-A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MXM=b

100.0%
  1. laxstar785

laxstar785 Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for the response, will the m5000m fit alright in the 8670W? Or will that protrusion you are mentioning be in the way there as well?

2. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i believe this time it is not a typo when you say a 8670W. to be clear the 17 inchers have got no problem at all taking in an MXM-B card both on 8670W and 8770W. i didnt test the pascal cards but m5000m is full on. good luck with your installation.

just a heads up. you will face throttling in the 8670w with quad core units. its tdp limit reaches very easily. i dont rememebr seeing the tdp limit control in teh 8670w when i had an 2820qm and 2760qm units whereas with the 8770w it is a different story and you can up the tdp limit using the xtu.

3. KaiserClaw

KaiserClaw Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a HP 8570W and was planning to upgrade my K2000M to a GTX980M 8GB but this i a MXM-B card. What cooler did you use? As I can see the stock cooler is MXM-A and shorter...

4. FranekX

FranekX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Some time ago on my HP 8760w I have decided to go for it all the way and upgrade th GPU with any kind of better than stock Quadro 3000M.

I bought K4100M.

In short - I had no problems at all installing it.

It was in October 2015. Since then I still use it for everything including gaming Witcher 3 with ~26FPS @1080p

I recommend all this card as it is really great. I already an HP vBios on this Board, so this what is exepected here to be the most effortless GPU upgrade.

Below some screenshots from my platform. Note the BIOS versions, temps

2018-11-13_12-36-24.png 2018-11-13_12-36-46.png 2018-11-13_12-36-24.png

Attached Files:

surfinkin likes this.
  5. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    you will have problems installing it as there will be a small black protrusion on the motherboard (both on 8570W & 8560W) that resists the card to sit down parallel to the motherboard. it will still work. however, you will have weld/join coper plates to cover the vitals on the card or get an mxm-b cooler of 8770w or 8670w then cut off and weld the copper carry joint.

but man, i wouldn't do that on an 8570w or an 8670w. instead, if and only if you are a performance seeker, then sell it off for an 17 incher 8770w (recommended as no cpu throttling/runs at full all core turbo on any chip) or 8670W (cpu throttles to a minimum turbo under load and temp reads higher).

and any quadro upto m5000m works on it perfectly. if it doesnt work then simply do a bios flash with a hp vBIOS and it should work.

congrats on your upgrade
    edit: overclock the k4100m via vBIOS it has a lot of potential. i did it on a K4000M and K3100M. it is fun and has a ton of thermal headroom even after 180% clock increase. good luck have fun.
    man why still running a dual core i7, upgrade already :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  6. FranekX

FranekX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi sicily428,

Could you upload any screenshot from your GPU-Z.
    What is the original vendor for your M5000M card - usually it is a Dell or Clevo...
    It would be superb if you download (using GPU-Z) and attach your vBios (if it is HP).

7. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes i can do that. but dont give too much about the vendor. it was dell by default i guess. but it worked on HP 8560W, 8570W, 8670W & 8770W ; Precision M6700 & M6800. HP or Dell, I can confirm that both are intercompatible.

edit: but i reflashed it to a HP during my trials i guess and the bios was of a ZBOOK. however, find the attachment and rename the file extension to .rom from .txt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  8. mikeisfly

mikeisfly Newbie

Reputations:

Guide to upgrade HP EliteBook 8570w GPU to Quadro k2200m

I will outline the process for anyone trying to add a Nvidia Quadro k2200m to a HP EliteBook 8570w with a non-Dreamcolor screen. This process may work for other HP EliteBooks of this generation with a non-Dreamcolor display, I take no responsibility with your result if you mess things up. This card is a MXM 3.0a so no heatsink modification was needed.

Before we begin on my laptop when I lost my backlight the VGA port didn’t work but my display port did work using the [Fn] + [F4]. I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and I was able to see the screen to make the changes necessary without having the benefit of a laptop screen.

1. Enable RDP or if you have VNC make sure it is turn on that way if you don’t have another monitor to use you can gain access to your PC through a remote connection.
    2. Upgrade your GPU, there are many videos out there that can show you how to do this. Here is a good link to show you how to access and replace many parts. https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5257502&MEID=2CBB4A54-A9D2-4561-A29E-404F40C9ABFC
    3. After you have installed your new GPU and reassembled your laptop you will not have a backlight if your vBIOS doesn’t have the correct output signal, for me I had to flash my vBIOS with a version that comes with the Dell computer but more on that in a bit.
    4. Start your computer up and connect a external display to your DP port. For me, I RDP to connect my laptop and installed the HP Nvidia Quadro driver SP82364 which you can get from here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-8570w-mobile-workstation/5257502
    5. The driver will not install so you will have to install it manually. When installing the driver manually you will have to check the box to show incompatible devices and the k2200m will show up.
    6. Once the driver installs and you reboot you will have a backlight again on your display but it will only work when the driver loads.
    7. In order to make your backlight work in the BIOS as well as the boot process prior to loading the Nvidia driver you have to flash the vBIOS of your laptop.
    8. The vBIOS that worked for me was a Dell one which you can get here
    9. You will also need the Nvflash tool which you can get from here
    10. I also recommend you get GPU-Z so you can backup your current BIOS just for safe keeping. You can get GPU-Z from https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/
    11. Backup your current vBIOS using GPU-Z there several sources on how to do this including YouTube
    12. Put the 183005.rom that you downloaded in step 8 in the same folder as Nvflash
    13. Disable your Nvidia Driver
    14. Load up the command prompt in administrator mode
    15. Navigate to the folder that contains the Nvflash64.exe file
    16. Type “nvflash64 --protectoff”
    17. Type “nvflash64 -6 183005.rom”, then say yes to all the prompts
    18. After the flashing is complete reboot your computer
    19. You now have your backlight again, don’t forget to enable your Nvidia driver that you disabled in step 13.
    20. If your hotkeys are not working you can use the HotKey fix from HP which you can get from here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-elitebook-8570w-mobile-workstation/5257502

Congratulations you should have a fully functional Nvidia Quadro K2200m Graphics card in your HP EliteBook 8570w. From benchmarks this card is about 5 times faster than the Quadro k1000m that I had. The part that I got is N15P-Q5-A2 which I got from ebay. The Ebay description said it was 8570w compatible but I think it was pulled from a HP Z-book and clearly it wasn’t 100% compatible otherwise I wouldn’t have to write this guide. My card did same sample on it.

Some benchmarks, I used 3DMark 11 here is what I got:

Nvidia Quadro K1000m – P1310 Graphics 1158 Physics 7197 combined 1058

Nvidia Quadro K2200m – P5248 Graphics 4975 Physics 7245 combined 5242

Delta - P 4x Graphics 4.3x Physics 0% combined 4.95x

The K1000m is a 45W part while the K2200m is a 65W part, that is a 44% increase in TDP which is something to consider if you are thinking about making this upgrade but I have not noticed the fan spinning up more than normal. I am not a gamer and plan on using the increased GPU power to do a little retro gaming.

That is 400% increase in the p score 429% increase in graphics, essentially the same physics score and 495% increase in the combined score.

I am happy with the results, when I got my hands on this laptop I was surprised by how upgradable it was. Here are some of the upgrades that I have made.

Bluetooth 4.0 module, upgraded the Wi-Fi to Intel AC 7260 HWC (card has Bluetooth but Bluetooth will not work, I tried putting tape over the last pin nothing worked), added the webcam made for this laptop, which cause me to get a new trim for this laptop, installed a Samsung EVO 860 500GB SATA 3.0 2.5” Drive, another 500 GB Samsung EVO 860 mSATA drive, Upgraded the memory to 32GB DDR3 RAM, MATSHITA Blue-ray / DVD writer, HP Backlit Keyboard and my processor is i7-3630QM. This machine is so nice I don’t really use my Microsoft Surfacebook anymore.

I hope this helps someone because I was looking all over for a step by step guide and didn’t find anyone putting the information all in one spot.

9. PCtinkerer

PCtinkerer Newbie

Reputations:
    Mike...I've followed your guide...I'm running into the problem of getting a screen or remoting into my laptop to begin the vBIOS changes. I've tried the methods using the DP to DVI port and nothing comes up, no signal...I've also tried to remote in but I'm having issues with my 8570w connecting to my network prior to logging into the OS. Any advice is much appreciated.

trying to swap out the Quadro K1000M with the K2200M GPU. Step by Step as you have suggested here. Thanks for any advice.

10. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did you try the VGA port? That worked for me once when I had a similar experience. Also did you try the Docking Station(if you happen to have one) and plugging in the external display via those ports instead?