HP EliteBook 8570w MXM-B GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by surfinkin, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Which gpu-typ upgrade did you perform?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2018.
  1. MXM-A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MXM=b

100.0%
  1. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Let this be an upgrade journey of the beast 8570w. I wanted to share my experience of upgrading my pet with all my fellow users.

I always appreciated the build quality of the elitebooks and decided to buy a 8570w as i felt it is still relevant in 2018 in terms of performance and it doesn't cost you a kidney to get a pre-owned one. I got a good one very easily and I bought it with no HDD and RAM. But by looking at the cosmetic condition of the laptop i felt okay and took the decision of buying it.

Took her home and fired it up after plugging in 2x4 GB and an old 500 GB HDD i had lying around. It worked beautifully..had an i7 3610QM, a K1000M and the 1080p was a boon to work with.

It a workstation ffs, so i stress tested it. Thermals were xtremely good. No throttling on CPU or GPU under 100% load. So I went for an upgrade with a 3740QM with 3.7 single core turbo and 3.5 on all cores. I immediately bought the piece and swapped it with the good old 3610QM. Woked like a charm.

I will tell you why the 8570w and not any other. I wanted it for my gaming needs as well as a little bit of multimedia editing (noob tho). I was pleased with the appearance, touch and feel of the laptop - solid and its not a fingerprint magnet.

I installed Win8.1 Pro with the genuine key I had and opened task manager. I was just playing around and it made me look at the ram slots available in the RAM section. It said 2 out of 4 used. I just was staring at it for a while thinking that it can support 32 gigs and I was only thinking it can do 16 cuz I overlooked the fact that I got a 4 slot board. Then I really felt like I should do it justice and bought 8x2 Corsair vengeance 9-9-9/24 ram to swap with the old set for now. Switching thru multiple programmes felt stress free cuz more is always better than less i see.

I haven't found a single thread (or maybe I didn't search enuf) that says it all to start the real upgrade which we are going to talk about in a bit.

\_____________________________________________/

Don't you feel like something is missing here? Should we not talk about the real deal here? The main reason for starting this thread? Upgrading the lil kid K1000m to an MXM-B type for the sake of greater good?

Let's do it. But what does a workstation truly need? It is for you to decide. I decided to go for a GTX 980M. You read it right, I wanted to go for it. But there are challenges that lie ahead if you are going for it:

1. Space - can be solved by removing the dvd drive
    2. Heat exchange cap - the tiny single pipe heatsink isn't gonna do justice for the monstrous cards. Heat exchanger must be modded to cool the MXM-B card properly for its size, its vrm, memory as well as heat o/p
    3. Fit and placement - the base/chasis screw holder, keyboard has a screw holder, palmrest has a shelled guide for placement of the keyboard screw holder and the dvd port (sata/pwr combo port) will come in the way

You must solve the above challenges before going ahead.

Now let's continue our story..should I specifically tell you that I was able to get my hands on a Quadro M5000M? Well I precisely did that and started to clear off the challenges one by one diligently. Come on now, it's an 8 GB VRAM with 1536 cores and a pro-grader.

After much waiting of almost two days of having the card sitting ducks while i patiently prepare for the ceremony of letting it in :p I took the mastergel maker and spread over the sunshine for a nice touch with the copper. I just put the palmrest and keyboard, connected them to the board. Didn't do anything but just kept calm for a couple of seconds.

Time has come to fire it up and check for once before assembling it all back to one piece. I have read somewhere that unsupported gpu upgrades on these elitebooks have a tendency to keep the system beeping, sometimes not responding with lights blinking, some saying to blind flash, some saying the backlight wont power on till you install the drivers.

Which of these would be my case? To find out, I switched on the power in slo-mo and turned my sight to the screen while I heard two thumps from my heart and couldn't blink. Mine was totally different.

Nothing happened for almost two seconds then I witnessed the pwr led, hdd led then immediately the system sprung back to life greeting me with hp logo. I then closed my eyes laughing internally while my mind silently whispered - u did it!! You know what happens next and I had to mod the inf for the driver to be installed.

I am aware that the stock heatsink won't stand a chance cooling the wonder. I throttled the cpu freq to 2.3G all time to avoid overheating. While carefully keeping a eye on temps, I played some games for a while to see that the setup if totally functional. It was getting to 87c on core and 75-88 on quadro which is obvious. I will talk later on the benchmarks and stress testing once my cooling solution is properly setup with a secondary radiator.

My biggest challenge yet: To my observation, the fan was behaving really weird.. its always hovering around 30-40 % of its full speed and also its all time making "whew whew whew whew whew whew...." cycles like spped up,down,up,down between 30-40% and never reacts to core temps no matter the load.

I really seek some guidance from you guys to solve this puzzle of fan control behaviour. Please help!!!

edit: fan issue solved but discarded on improving the project since card wont sit parallel to motherboard due to a small black protrusion that is keeping the card sit in a slanting position.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    reserved

3. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    reserved#2

4. laxstar785

laxstar785 Newbie

Reputations:
    Any chance you can add some photos to this, I have an 8670w I and trying to figure out how to upgrade the GPU. Sounds like this might work for the 8670W as well? I am a little hesitant on spending 500$ on something that might not work out lol.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  5. laxstar785

laxstar785 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an 8570w, That was a typo and I can't edit it for some reason...

6. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i think interested parties would still like pictures, I know I do even though my interest is purely academic (I have already upgraded a g1 zbook 15 with a 1070n MXM-B card)

laxstar785 likes this.
  7. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i checked quadro m5000m on an 8670w and an 8770w too while i was wandering shifting my laptops just for fun. it works flawlessly!!. and i just had to mod the inf file to install nvidia drivers properly. it came with an m5950m firepro.

edit:
    As much as I wish I could, I wouldn't recommend doing that. I forgot to mention that on the 15 incher 8570w, there was a balck tiny square protrusion besides the card, it wasnt allowing the card to be positioned parallel to the motherboard plane, instead i had to bend the heatsink copper pipes by hand to match the slantness of the sitting m5000m (the memory unit of the m5000m interferes with the black protruding thing and it sits on top of that protrusion making the card sit in a slanting position). this approximate pipe bending to position the heatsink parallel to card wasnt upto the mark and it was not removing heat off the guard effectively. well its a 150w card without a second fan would be hard anyways. and i didnt wast to damage the card so i took it off and sold the 8570w to buy an 8770w. so problem solved. but i ve heard for the zbooks that protrusion wont be there. you can check it out. for now, i already sold the 8770w too and moved onto m6800 dell. its with an i7 4600m dual core and a quadro k3100m 768 cuda 4 gb ddr5. i still have the m5000m and will put it on after buying a quad core i7 or after i could bypass the stupid current and power throttling thats making the dual core cpu sit at 2.9 ghz under stress wt*!!!!!

8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    could you test your system with 3dmark firestrike v1.1?

9. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thank you much for your interest. i don't have it anymore. very sorry couldn't upload pics.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  10. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i shall do it tonight and will add an edit once it is done. fyi, it is an 8760W i7 2640m dual core, quadro m5000m 8GD5, 900p reso.