*HP EliteBook 8560w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by bkleven, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntty

ntty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's strange, indeed.
    That said, the new 8570w seems to have SATAIII for the bay instead of mSATA connector. HP must know that there are more users purchasing a bay to put an SSD than those using/needing fast access through mSATA cache...

2. NecessaryEvil

NecessaryEvil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, after noticing that there was a new driver on AMD's site for the FirePro, I downloaded it to try out, as I'm no longer using my 8560W for gaming, and figured I might be better off going back to FirePro M5950 mode rather than "Radeon 6770" mode.

Every time I use the FirePro drivers, I lose the ability to start my laptop with the lid closed, outputting via DP to my LCD, and have it work upon opening the lid. I have to do a full shutdown and restart with the lid open to see the screen. When I'm forcing it to be detected as a Radeon via manual install of the drivers, it always works normally.

This has happened to me in the past as well with the FirePro drivers, and was resolved with going back to Radeon back then. It's happened despite the system being reformatted, and I thin it happened when running Windows 7 as well as 8 (sorry, I've been on 8 too long to remember).

Anyone with similar issues?

3. resinis

resinis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks. thats probably the only thing i think is wrong with this laptop... even many budget laptops have volume buttons!

otherwise though, this is by far the most kick computer i have ever had. its just flat out awesome in every way.

one thing that sucks about mine though, the battery tabs are broke, so i have to tape the battery to keep it from falling out. the fix looks like a whole chassis replacement, which is only $50 for the part but likely a couple hours of labor. its fine though, i never take the battery out... im very surprised at the battery life!! 3+ hours easy under moderate use!

4. proteinjunkie

proteinjunkie Newbie

Reputations:
    I have to publish this here because it took me a very long time to find the location of the backlight timeout setting window on my 8560w. It's buried a bit.

Here is the path to the keyboard backlight timeout settings:
    "Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the keyboard easier to use"
    then scroll to the bottom to "Keyboard Settings" then the "HP Device Settings" tab.

You can even set it to "Never" timeout but I am trying the 5 minute setting.

5. ntty

ntty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, in fact I just tested mine and it shows full SATA III performance. So I don't know where this information come from (I have F.03 BIOS). See results below with a Samsung 840 Pro in the optical bay of my 8560w:

[​IMG]

When I have time I'll setup a RAID0 volume with two Corsair GTX Neutron that I have and I will report results here.

In the meantime, I did it with two Samsung pro in my 8570w and the results are below:

[​IMG]

It should be the same with the 8560w.

Cheers.

6. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Ummm... just to go to Control Panels > Keyboard...

7. webdev511

webdev511 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did a thread search and didn't get any hits, so I'll ask the question....

Has anyone tried swapping CPU from i7 Sandy Bridge to i7 Ivy Bridge?

The socket is the same, the BIOS is the same and I know that desktop motherboards that were originally Sandy Bridge can take an Ivy Bridge so long as the BIOS is updated. So it's theoretically possible to swap out an i7 2xxx qm with an i7 3xxx qm and maybe even the gpu and get near an 8570w performance at least with cpu and gpu.

Probably just better off waiting until the new Haswell based mobile workstations come out, but oh I love to tinker...

8. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe Ivy supports 1800 MHz ram whereas Sandy does not.

9. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You cannot do that, first of all chipset isn't the same (and the chipset in the 8560w doesn't support Ivy) - don't confuse mobile with desktops, second of all just because the BIOS version is the same it doesn't mean that it's the same thing (did you compare the code, AGESA?).
    GPU on the other hand could be doable since it's the same connector (MXM), but there can be a chance of BIOS not allowing you to use a newer GPU.

10. webdev511

webdev511 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Excellent info. While I thought there might be a chance that the chipset was compatible, I wasn't sure, hence the question. I did pickup an M4000 GPU, so I am still likely to give that a shot while I wait for the 8580w (or whatever it's going to be called)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.