1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*HP EliteBook 8560w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by bkleven, May 25, 2011.

1. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for the reply, sounds like you pretty much got the setup I am after...its the flexibility it offers over say a micro PC base unit.

As for look and feel I thought they had metal bodies are is that only partially and its mostly plastic? I won't be upgrading for a while to be honest anyway so this will do for my needs (development).

Thanks,

T

2. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you got previous poster wrong. Due to superb quality of elitebooks 8x60 and 8x70 you wont be able to look into anything else in the future except proper workstation/business class which wilo make your next choice costly :)

3. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    Haha I get you, okay that is relief actually as I switched over to an HP workstation PC's over 2 years ago due to the build quality and rock solid performance in everything I did (I mostly code and play the odd round of CS:Source).

I used the athletic Z600 at work and now have an EliteDesk in my current role, seems I can't get away from HP machines ;-)

Yes I have been considering the fact the 8560w is several years old however as you said they are built so well and thankfully the one I have purchased is already upgraded its pretty much future proof for me at least for several years if not more.

I have been looking at current and upcoming mobile workstations and while the i7 has moved to another generation the reference design and spec has stayed the same which is some comfort apart from some of the price tags (which put me off the Zbook G2) and I just need to wait as by the time I need to replace my 8560w those ZBook's should drop in price hehe.

4. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    Couple question, how do you folks find the operating temp of the 8560w's in day to day use such as idle, medium work and heavy load e.g. rendering or gaming?

Second question regarding gaming, are they capable of playing games several years old? I only really play CS:Source, World of Warcraft (vanilla on a private server) and the odd lap in rFactor (racing sim) however I am more concerned that playing games could speed up the death of the GPU and/or laptop.

I had that problem with the old school Thinkpad T61p - great laptop but was plagued with hot spots and failures.

5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't have temp monitoring software installed right now but I can tell this thing outputs a lot of hot air... Which is a good thing.

Diablo 3 and WoW are the only games I have installed right now on this laptop. They run well enough, pretty much compared to my old desktop (C2Q with GTX660, low on cpu but good on gpu), say 25-80fps depending on situation but mostly near 30. That's while running them windowed, usually full screen video playing on second monitor :)

6. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    I picked my 8560w on Friday night and bloody hell I am impressed - phenomenal engineering quality build, these really re the Rolls Royce of mobile workstations!

I think the 15.6" Dreamcolor Panel is a bit small for a 1920x1080 display and I think I need to scale up the fonts a bit as it seems the panel doesn't really work well with any lower resolutions which is a shame.

I found a fix for the heat issue as it was getting hot all the time which got me worried...

1. Go into your Screen Saver options
    2. Change power settings
    3. Select the power plan you are using (I have High Performance when plugged in and balanced on battery)
    4. Select Advanced Options
    5. Scroll down the features and find the "Processor power management"
    6. Set the "Minimum processor state" to 5% battery and 95% or 75% power
    7. Set the "Maximum processor state" to 75% battery and 99% power

Hit okay and exit.

The above ensures you never cook your processor and I found it keeps temps at optimum levels as well ensuring your fan lasts a bit longer.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  7. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    Noticed one thing the Windows 8.1 Dreamcolor driver is for the Dreamcolor 3 panel and not 2 lol so not sure if I need it as the nVidia control panel has the required settings or I should try to find a previous version and try that.

8. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys I can't seem to find a panel driver for Windows 8.1, any ideas?

9. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Told ya ;) Really hard to even consider a plastic acer or similar anymore...

I have no drivers either on my panel, since it isn't currently in use (dual HP LP2475w). I haven't ever calibrated it either, so someone else has to help here :)

10. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes know what you mean my friend, looking at other notebooks under a different light now and then you take into account all the thought that went into designing the 8560w, they really took their time and made it a power users dream!

Already updated the secondary HDD to a 1TB model and the best bit? Boot time from cold to Windows 8.1 desktop in 8 seconds!

11. vurso

vurso Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys,

After some searching and "re-searching" I think I found a solution to the Dreamcolor panel drivers and colour profile.

I found this PDF document which alluded to the fact that the Dreamcolor 2 panel was the same as found in some Dreamcolor desktop LCD:

Looking at the specs it's virtually identical in features and performance aka the much desired 30-bit color display that is accessible in applications like Adobe Photoshop CS6 & CC for example so I decided I would download the driver and give it a go:

HP LP2480zx drivers

*note you will need to change your OS to suit (I opted for the Windows 8 64-bit drivers)

Windows would not recognise the drivers so I had to manually select the right ones and after doing so found the panel driver had installed successfully without any issues and Windows was now recognising the panel and presenting the new colour profiles in the Colour Management configuration found in the Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Colour Management tab.

Adobe also recognised the panel correctly and loaded up the 30-bit colour profile without any issues and from what I can tell everything looks great so a result!

12. matiasg85

matiasg85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my replacement m5950 and it's working as expected, i have just one doubt though, how do i install radeon drivers on it so it perform better in games?

Thanks!

13. nickelaus

nickelaus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I posted this in response to someone else on 8760w forum who successfully upgraded their GPU. I think 8560w owner's might also be able to upgrade the GPU if they can go without the dvd drive. what do you think?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  14. triturbo

triturbo Upgrading 16:10 machines

Reputations:
    While you are at it, throw a fan, couple of pipes and a radiator :D <- Don't be confused by this, I'm serious. You'll need all the cooling you can get, M8900 is a hot piece of silicon. Also the SlimlineSATA (the DVD connector) is soldered, so you'll have to not only unscrew it, but either desolder it, or cut it with a box opener or something really sharp (carefull not to damage the motherboard). It would require a lot of work, but I see no reason to not work... Unless your GPU lacks BIOS chip, which means that it gets it from the system BIOS, which means that it might be set to read only the already included vBIOSes and not to search for external. And we know that if touch those BIOSes they can't be flashed without terrible consequences. I've modified the system BIOS of my 5920G and included a vBIOS of 4650 (BIOSless), worked fine, then plugged back my 4670 (has its BIOS) and everything was fine. I'm just giving you example how another machine work. Again, I don't know how your notebook is set-up. In any case, good luck!

Oh and you'll definitely need at least 180W PSU. Thankfully HP has them - 200W slim and 230W either thick or slim.

15. nickelaus

nickelaus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I created a new thread here, to continue this discussion on GPU MX3.0b upgrades for the 8560w. Thanks for all of your input!

16. Kees

Kees Newbie

Reputations:
    My 8560w is still going strong! I am loving this machine.

However, recently the (cpu?) fan on the left side of the laptop started making a noise, as if the ball bearings have gone bad. Does anyone of you have experience replacing the fan? I assume it would be wise to replace the thermal paste of the CPU while I'm at it. Would love to hear about any experiences, especially of acquiring the part and replacing the fan.

17. 4everAnoob

4everAnoob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: