*HP EliteBook 8560w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by bkleven, May 25, 2011.

1. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not normal. If I were you I would remove the CPU heatsink clean the dust inside, and re-apply TIM.

2. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone managed to get the m2200 working? Apparently it is a maxwell based gpu though not sure if it's 3.0a like the m2000m

3. Fungus99

Reputations:
    I have windows 10 installed running an old BIOS released all the way back in 2011.
    The latest BIOS available (2014) on the hp site is only available with Windows 8.1? (There is no windows 10 drop down option). Is it safe to install it despite running windows 10? Same applies to all the other available drivers for download.

I currently only use driver booster to update drivers.

Attached Files:

4. Fungus99

Reputations:
    I should but sometimes during start up temperature will stay around 45-52 degrees with the temp and fans suddenly increasing for no apparently reason after 30 mins or so. To me this indicates some time as running in the background and is stressing the cpu/gpu although i have already went into the settings and turned off all the unnecessary features plus all the auto start programs.

The temperatures seesm to have increased a lot more after installing the latest bios.

Also I've always had audio cutting in and out with all my bluetooth headset and gets worse once two metres away from the machine. Is it possible to replace the bluetooth component?

5. pnsdls

pnsdls Newbie

Reputations:
    has anyone actually manged to get a working 1600mhz ram in 8560w??

6. semik07

semik07 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, Could you help, please,
    I have a black screen.
    I've tried update vbios (when 1000M is inside) change to K2100M, after replacing -black screen.
    have tried several vbios ( 80.06.69.00.06 , 80.06.82.00.12).

7. mikeisfly

mikeisfly Newbie

Reputations:
    Good afternoon all,

I'm looking for a little help here. I know this is the 8560w lounge but this seems to be the only place talking about upgrading their laptop from a Quadro k1000m to a Quadro k2200m. I have a HP Elitebook 8570w and from what I can tell there is not much difference between the 8560w and the 8570w. I recently upgraded my Quadro k1000m to a k2200m, as a result I lost the backlight on my display. I managed to install Nvidia drivers from the HP website (Nvidia drivers from Nvidia site will not work because no compatible hardware was found). After installing the drivers using SP82364 (I had to install the drivers manually, showing incompatible devices) everything seems to be working except I can not see the screen until the Nvidia driver is loaded. The problem with this is I can not make any changes to the BIOS easily, if I need to reinstall my OS I am stuck there too. Is there anyway I can flash the vBIOS to make this card work before Nvidia drivers are loaded? If so which vBIOS would I need and if possible can the file be provided? I have the non-Dreamcolor version. The part that I bought from ebay is N15P-Q5-A2 Qual Sample, the current vBIOS is 82.07.49.00.01 which looks like it was meant for a DELL PC even though the seller advertised it as compatible for the Elitebook 8570w. Any help is really appreciated. I am getting over 5000 in 3DMark 11 so it seems as if the card is working.

8. mikeisfly

mikeisfly Newbie

Reputations:
    I figured it out. I will outline the process for anyone trying to add a Nvidia Quadro k2200m to a HP EliteBook 8570w with a non-Dreamcolor screen. This process may work for other HP EliteBooks of this generation with a non-Dreamcolor display, I take no responsibility with your result if you mess things up.

Before we begin on my laptop when I lost my backlight the VGA port didn’t work but my display port did work using the [Fn] + [F4]. I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and I was able to see the screen to make the changes necessary without having the benefit of a laptop screen.

1. Enable RDP or if you have VNC make sure it is turn on that way if you don’t have another monitor to use you can gain access to your PC through a remote connection.
    2. Upgrade your GPU, there are many videos out there that can show you how to do this. Here is a good link to show you how to access and replace many parts. https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5257502&MEID=2CBB4A54-A9D2-4561-A29E-404F40C9ABFC
    3. After you have installed your new GPU and reassembled your laptop you will not have a backlight if your vBIOS doesn’t have the correct output signal, for me I had to flash my vBIOS with a version that comes with the Dell computer but more on that in a bit.
    4. Start your computer up and connect a external display to your DP port. For me, I RDP to connect my laptop and installed the HP Nvidia Quadro driver SP82364 which you can get from here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-8570w-mobile-workstation/5257502
    5. The driver will not install so you will have to install it manually. When installing the driver manually you will have to check the box to show incompatible devices and the k2200m will show up.
    6. Once the driver installs and you reboot you will have a backlight again on your display but it will only work when the driver loads.
    7. In order to make your backlight work in the BIOS as well as the boot process prior to loading the Nvidia driver you have to flash the vBIOS of your laptop.
    8. The vBIOS that worked for me was a Dell one which you can get here
    9. You will also need the Nvflash tool which you can get from here
    10. I also recommend you get GPU-Z so you can backup your current BIOS just for safe keeping. You can get GPU-Z from https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/
    11. Backup your current vBIOS using GPU-Z there several sources on how to do this including YouTube
    12. Put the 183005.rom that you downloaded in step 8 in the same folder as Nvflash
    13. Disable your Nvidia Driver
    14. Load up the command prompt in administrator mode
    15. Navigate to the folder that contains the Nvflash64.exe file
    16. Type “nvflash64 --protectoff”
    17. Type “nvflash64 -6 183005.rom”, then say yes to all the prompts
    18. After the flashing is complete reboot your computer
    19. You now have your backlight again, don’t forget to enable your Nvidia driver that you disabled in step 13.
    20. If your hotkeys are not working you can use the HotKey fix from HP which you can get from here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-elitebook-8570w-mobile-workstation/5257502
    Congratulations you should have a fully functional Nvidia Quadro K2200m Graphics card in your HP EliteBook 8570w. From benchmarks this card is about 5 times faster than the Quadro k1000m that I had. The part that I got is N15P-Q5-A2 which I got from ebay. The Ebay description said it was 8570w compatible but I think it was pulled from a HP Z-book and clearly it wasn’t 100% compatible otherwise I wouldn’t have to write this guide. My card did same sample on it.

Some benchmarks, I used 3DMark 11 here is what I got:
    Nvidia Quadro K1000m – P1310 Graphics 1158 Physics 7197 combined 1058
    Nvidia Quadro K2200m – P5248 Graphics 4975 Physics 7245 combined 5242
    Delta - P 4x Graphics 4.3x Physics 0% combined 4.95x

The K1000m is a 45W part while the K2200m is a 65W part, that is a 44% increase in TDP which is something to consider if you are thinking about making this upgrade but I have not noticed the fan spinning up more than normal. I am not a gamer and plan on using the increased GPU power to do a little retro gaming.
    That is 400% increase in the p score 429% increase in graphics, essentially the same physics score and 495% increase in the combined score.
    I am happy with the results, when I got my hands on this laptop I was surprised by how upgradable it was. Here are some of the upgrades that I have made.
    Bluetooth 4.0 module, upgraded the Wi-Fi to Intel AC 7260 HWC (card has Bluetooth but Bluetooth will not work, I tried putting tape over the last pin nothing worked), added the webcam made for this laptop, which cause me to get a new trim for this laptop, installed a Samsung EVO 860 500GB SATA 3.0 2.5” Drive, another 500 GB Samsung EVO 860 mSATA drive, Upgraded the memory to 32GB DDR3 RAM, MATSHITA Blue-ray / DVD writer, HP Backlit Keyboard and my processor is i7-3630QM. This machine is so nice I don’t really use my Microsoft Surfacebook anymore.
    I hope this helps someone because I was looking all over for a step by step guide and didn’t find anyone putting the information all in one spot.

9. mikeisfly

mikeisfly Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Norbertth

Norbertth Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I've just bought this great laptop (secondhand of course). It has win7 key, but the previous owner updated it to win 10. Like this, few drivers are not working, so I can not usefor example the fingerprint sensor. Now windows updated some drivers, and I am getting a blue screen when I am on wifi. I tried to look up the drivers on hp page, but there is no support for win10 for this laptop. Is somebody here that uses win10 and could tell me which drivers are good for it? I would like averything to work under win10 if it is possible.
    Thanks!