*HP EliteBook 8560w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by bkleven, May 25, 2011.

1. txsouthpaw

txsouthpaw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, the motherboard swap can be done. The correct part number for the quad core motherboard with Alcor chip upgrade is 684319-001.

2. 4everAnoob

4everAnoob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My 8560w can't install or boot Windows 7/8/8.1/10 in UEFI mode anymore.

Installing on a clean disk, it gets stuck at the first step "copying Windows files" at 0% and stays there forever.
    Shift+F10 to open a command window, I can type bcdedit, which hangs as well for like 3 minutes, then says that a system device is inaccessible.
    This is NOT a disk issue as it happens with 3 different perfectly working disks.
    Legacy install works fine no issues.
    Linux boots fine in UEFI.

I got these issues after swapping graphics card, actually after swapping from the K1000m back to the original M5950.

3. sleepy3103

sleepy3103 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where I can get a motherboard that is bad? I need some little clips for the keyboard ribbon cables. Or if anyone knows where I can get those little clips that hold the ribbon cables in.

4. txsouthpaw

txsouthpaw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would watch eBay for a motherboard marked "for parts / not working." You could also buy one of the cheaper functioning motherboards and remove the clips to replace yours. After doing so, you could resell the motherboard and clearly state in the description that it is missing one or more of the ribbon cable clips. I recently sold just such a board that also had a LAN failure for $43.99. After seller's fees, you would probably be out $15-20 to have your board properly equipped.

5. HiveMind

HiveMind Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wondering, has anyone ever upgraded their CPU from anything else to a 2960XM? I've got a spare one that is lying around that I would like to try out.

If it makes a difference, it is the Dreamcolor version.

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It is quite likely that this CPU would push your cooling to the limits. Feel free to try it though, just make sure to have thermal compound before hand. Even if it doesn't work out nicely, at least you'd have cleaned your system and played around with it a bit :)

7. skrufff

skrufff Newbie

Reputations:
    I've poked around the forum quite a bit and am getting mixed answers from multiple posts. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6700M GPU and am looking to upgrade to the Nvidia 2000M. Can I simply swap out the GPU and be ready to rock? If not, what BIOS settings need to be changed?

edit- I updated my BIOS using HP Softpaq Download Manager; downloaded Nvidia drivers and saved them on my desktop; swapped GPU's; booted up; PC ran like normal but with lower resolution; updated drivers; restarted; everything works as expected!

This is on a 8560W

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  8. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone here successfully upgraded the CPU from a dual to a quad without swapping the motherboard?

Currently I have an i5-2540m in my 8560w and would like to upgrade to a quad core but leave the same motherboard (either to a i7-2720qm or i7-2820qm).
    I found this topic while searching: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...e-Questions/HP-8560w-CPU-Upgrade/td-p/6199594

So it should work at least with a 2720qm - however I would still be left with only 2 RAM slots but I don't care about that since I can just use 2x8GB modules and have plenty of RAM.

9. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, so I bought a i7-2820QM which arrived today. I installed the CPU and it's running with no problems on a dual core motherboard.

10. PATRICK NDZENGUE

PATRICK NDZENGUE Newbie

Reputations:
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) I have a hp elitebook 8560w core i7 with a graphics card amd firepro M5950. I started using it with the windows 7 system that was installed there by default. with the arrival of windows 10 I upgraded my system. everything was fine when I started my video games I played them without worries apart from the fact that the machine heated enormously.after a time, the games began to crash when I launched them.It was necessary to completely extinguish the machine before the to restart. the fateful day was this famous day where I made the last wager of windows 10, after this one to finish, the machine restarted the system was launched and immediately after blue screen. an error message s' poster and the machine restart so on. i ended up with system cahnger and go back to windows 7 but the same thing catches me. I already had to try any type of driver for my grapic card and I even changed the thermal paste on the proccesseur and the graphics processor because I dressed that heating could be for something in there. today I am forced to go into error-free mode, to uninstall the graphics card before using my machine which does not serve me much without the graphics. so in resume once I install the driver of the grapic map, blue screen but when I disintalle the driver the machine works but with the basic graphical configuraton. I have tried everything already and I am desperate. I think my graphics card is dead.I would like you to confirm me. thank you in advance,,