*HP EliteBook 8560w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by bkleven, May 25, 2011.

1. -stephen

-stephen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! I am in the market for a replacement for a failing 8710w and have my eye on several 8560ws on eBay. I don't mind downsizing from a 17" to a15" screen. With 8GB, 500GB, the 1920 screen and Win 7 installed they are in the $350 to$450 price range. I like the Elitebook's solid build, keyboard and touchpad layout.
    Is there anything in particular I should look out for, or an option I should not miss?
    Thanks,
    -stephen

2. memphistre

memphistre Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How does the 8560w stack up against the m4600 and w520? I like the backlit keys as well, but I'm worried about cooling issues? Also, seems hard to find one with a dreamcolor display on ebay, how does the non ips display fare against the other two machines mentioned?

3. Temetka

Temetka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have pretty much the same questions.

I am coming from a T410 and a Precision M4400 (which I really love).

I've read a few reviews of the 8560w and I like what I see. I haven't considered the second gen Precision that this HP and W520 would compete with because I don't like the trackpoint on it. I do love the trackpoint on my T410 and M4400 though. I've heard that I can use a red lenovo cap on the HP machine. Even if I can't, the keyboard layout is nice.

I'm basically looking for a 15" business class / workstation laptop with a backlit keyboard and nice LCD to hold me for another year or 2. I really like the looks of the 8560w. I have a few that I am watching on e-bay and I hope to pick one up in january.

From what I understand though, they don't support mSATA drives. Is this correct?

4. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @memphistre @Temetka

I have T410, T420 and 8760w here side by side. I can confirm that the trackpoint is not compatible. It used to be in the older machines and I had Lenovo cap in my 8510w years ago, now they have changed sizes. Right now I can't test cap from any newer Thinkpads but I'll do it later if I have a chance.

My 8560w non-backlight keyboard is great, I've heard that backlight version feels flimsy in comparison but I cannot confirm that since I've never seen one live. That feeling depends also a lot on what is the previous computer/keyboard you used.

No msata support, I believe that came in xx70w models. I'm 99% sure on that one.

I have no experience on Dells but compared to w520, Elitebook feels a lot sturdier. Mainly because Thinkpad outer shell is plastic and Elitebook has metal shell. That also brings weight. I wouldn't use 8560w in my lap for any longer than necessary, it is too heavy for that :)

5. sleepy3103

sleepy3103 Newbie

Reputations:
    So nobody has posted in this thread in a while so I figured I revive it. My crappy HP Pavillion 17 Broke(motherboard fail) so I need a new laptop. I couldn't afford a new one for what I wanted, which is something that is not slow as crap. So I started looking at used couple generation old business class laptops and gaming laptops. I mainly wanted something I can edit video and photos on if I'm not at home using my HP Z800 Workstation. It came down to the Lenovo W520 or the HP EliteBook 8560w. My Budget was about $400 so they both fit.
    I chose the HP 8560w because it seemed to be built better, has the option of a backlit keyboard, looks way better, and has the number pad which I use alot. Also it matches my Z800, lol. Here are the specs of the HP 8560w I bought, the upgrades I did right away, and the plans I have for it.

HP EliteBook 8560w with 1080p non DreamColor display.
    Core i7-2820qm cpu
    4GB Memory
    320GB 7200rpm Hitachi HDD
    Nvidia Quadro 1000m 2GB graphics card.
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    Came with the 120 watt power supply

Upgrades that I did right away:
    - Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB SSD
    - 16GB Kit Crucial 2 x 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory
    - Samsung Momentus Spinpoint ST2000LM003 2TB 2.5-inch SATA 3 HDD
    - Nimitz 2nd Hard Drive caddy for HP 8560w

Upgrades I am Panning to do:
    - Sandisk ExtremePro 480 or 960GB SSD when the prices come down a bit more. 10 year warranty on these.
    - Another 16GB Kit of Crucial 2 x 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory so I have 32GB total
    - Just because they are pretty cheap now - Core i7-2860qm cpu
    - Nvidia Quadro 2000m 2GB Graphics Card
    - Backlit Keyboard
    - I might sell this one and get a HP 8760w Just so I have the 17 inch screen and extra HDD bay

So far I love this thing. Its the fastest laptop I have ever owned and is a way better deal at $390 vs a new Laptop that as powerful or more. Its built like a tank, the touchpad is the best I have use, don't care about that little pointer thing, Looks awesome and performs great in benchmarks and stress tests. Ran prime95 on it for 45 mins and it sat steady at 80 degrees C for the cpu which is great in my opinion. The screen is way better than my newer HP Pavillion 17 with 1600x900 resolution. It looks great and runs great.

I really believe these use couple generation old mobile workstations are great budget power houses for people who need a powerful laptop but can't afford a new one with these kind of specs. I did the same thing with my HP Z800 Workstation, bought it about 8 months ago used for $420 and did a few upgrades and its a video editing and gaming beast.

Here are some pictures I took of the upgrade process and a couple benchmarks.

Before the upgrades I ran the windows experience score.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Stock Hard Drive and Ram
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture of the upgrade, WEI Score, Cinebench Score and Crystal Disk Marks Score for the SSD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way I upgrade the 8560w to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit after these tests then did a clean install. It runs great. I have nothing to complain about with this machine.

6. luch

luch Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So, if you can get K2100M or K2200M, you can try those since they are proved to be compatible with 8560W. I have installed the K2100M to my 8560w and it's working perfectly. However, you may need to flash the vbios and add graphic card ID to driver's inf file.

7. sleepy3103

sleepy3103 Newbie

Reputations:
    I might if I keep this laptop. I am actually thinking about upgrading to the 8770 so I have the 17 inch screen. 2 normal hard drive slots and options for more powerful graphics cards.

8. Armindadee

Armindadee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I wish to ask you: I have a 8560w with this Quadro 1000M video card, and well, is it possible to upgrade my GPU?
    If yes, what would be the best options, or anything that is related to better gaming experience.

Thank you very much

9. luch

luch Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For gaming the k2200m will be great. P score is around 5000.

10. Armindadee

Armindadee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, thank you very much!