HP Elitebook 8560p Won't Shutdown

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by DrOscillator, Apr 3, 2012.

1. mehmet1279

mehmet1279 Newbie

Reputations:
    dear friend it worked with my asus K56CB ı have one question .in this case does the electricity go off directly or after the hard drive stops

2. Kefir

Kefir Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys!
    I have the same problem with my Asus K53SV. I have already cut of this sad pin and it's still does not work. Now actually my laptop does not see this caddy. I also tried with changing the position of this button but after cutting off that pin :D. So... What should I do to make this cuddy work?

I found out the solution. I don't actually know if it's 100% okay, but if changing position of the switch does not work for ASUS K53 you have to cut off this bloody pin. In my case it worked. Sometimes (1/15) I got message that "There's no booot.ini on this HDD" but usually it works like charm. I do not recommend using this paddy with HDD to boot system from.

3. rovopio

rovopio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have the exact same caddy with you.

change how? i dotn understand the attachment... can somebody teach me pleaseee :(
    im about to buy asus laptop and going to install hdd caddy on it as well

4. b2z

b2z Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this thread - you saved my day today :)

I have Asus K55VM which also did not shutdown and restart correctly after I installed 2nd hdd into the caddy (it is 12.7mm caddy). First I was thinking that it's Windows 8.1 problem, updated all drivers but this did not help. Then I started to google and found this thread :thumbsup: I disassembled the caddy, pulled out with a knife the third pin from the right (as shown on the picture in the first post) and vuala - everything works now! Thank you one more time :thumbsup:

5. gaborr

gaborr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot centaurian!

Recently purchased a HP Probook 450 G1. Replaced the HDD with an SSD, installed Win8. Everything worked fine. Then upgraded to Win8.1 and installed the caddy (some noname from China) with the original HDD. Then the shutdown and energy problems started. First I thought it was an OS problem. So I tried: looking for 8.1 updates/fixes, changed power settings, tried booting from an USB Linux (shutdown was working with it!), changed BIOS settings, changed boot settings, upgraded BIOS, formatted the HDD (not to have active partitions on it), reinstalled the OS (!!!) and went crazy in the end because nothing helped. I started thinking of a hardware error at this point. I've removed the caddy and everything was OK again. Then tried the caddy without the HDD in it and the problems just came back even with disabling the CD-ROM in the BIOS. Classic -situation. Googled it and found this post. First I couldn't belive it...
    Finally I simply pulled the pin out with a tiny screwdriver, bend it back and installed the caddy with the HDD. It works like charm and the machine shuts down and goes sleeping fine.

Thanks again for this genius solution! How on earth You figured it out? :)
    gaborr

6. redspeed

redspeed Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for posting this- I have an Asus X551CA which came with no optical drive at all, just a piece of plastic in its place.

The caddy I bought left about a half in gap into the laptop when I installed it, so I ended up modding the piece of plastic it came with to fix the drive and sata connector.

However, I experienced a bunch of issues where it wouldnt sleep correctly, or spontaneously wake up on its own and not shut down either.

I thought maybe the laptop couldnt handle the extra power of a 2nd drive which was causing the problems

I ended up using a small dental hook to pull the pin out and the problem is fixed

7. unguided1989

unguided1989 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone :)
    I have the same issue with my Acer M3-581TG and Kingston V200 SSD . But my kingston ssd is inside the notebook (replacing a original hdd), and it won't shutdown ;/
    Maybe someone have some solution for me ?
    Greetings

8. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try if it shuts down correctly in safe mode. If it does, it is a windows issue -> start a new thread here.
    If it doesn't, then it probably is a hardware issue, not related to 2nd hdd caddy. Here.

9. RetchedOne

RetchedOne Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you!!!

10. stumbler

stumbler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Many thanks to "centaurian" for the third pin fix. Using Nimitz second design 2530p caddy with shaped bezel in 2560p. Yeh! I did the BIOS shuffle for a while and was just so happy to find this thread. Yah!!!!!