HP Elitebook 8560p Won't Shutdown

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by DrOscillator, Apr 3, 2012.

1. dutchkg

dutchkg Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanx for the solution. It worked just fine.

2. fozz

fozz Newbie

Reputations:
    Absolutely Genius!

Had the same exact problem with a HP Probook 4430s. Wouldn't shutdown, restart, or sleep properly 75% of the time with the caddy inserted. Never had the time to fully investigate the issue, but figured it was probably something with the caddy.

My caddy appeared to be the same as the one ilyutza pictured, but didn't have either an external or internal switch. Took the caddy apart and found the right three pins joined together with solder on the circuit board. Heated up the soldering iron, reworked the solder so that it was only connecting the right two ground pins and not the diagnostic pin, and reassembled. Tested the shutdown, restart, and sleep functions a couple dozen times and works 100% of the time now.

Thanks for all the tips!

3. dontsailbackwards

dontsailbackwards Newbie

Reputations:
    $Deity bless the Internet all all who sail in her!

Thanks Centaurian - this fix worked for my 8530w. I just used the tiniest screwdriver I could find to lever out the connecting pin and twisted it off. Works like a charm THANKS.

4. gekko69

gekko69 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ditto everyone else. Many thanks to Centaurian. Worked perfectly for HP Elitebook 8560w. Just melted out that 3rd pin from the right and voila!

5. Drutort

Drutort Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I had the same issue as OP, sata ebay caddy, using 8460w, I had old bios, and other older drivers.

I decided to upgrade to windows 8 pro, and SSD, so I put a Samsung 840 ssd as main drive, and then installed windows 8 that way, I noticed restarts would hang and shutdown would log off only and sleep wouldnt work. I thought it was a driver issue. Until i tried to go back to windows 7 that is on the caddy original HP hd, nope had same exact issues in windows 7. Searched and saw this thread, and took out the caddy and installed the dvdrom back.

So my issue was windows 8 not wanting to shutdown, just logs off and screen off, fans and wifi and other lights on. I updated to latest bios and sleep and restart works, I just put back the optical drive for now.

Sleep is fine restart is fine... I found out that the feature for fast startup is causing the issue.

Went into the power options (win+ x) , next "choose what the power buttons do" next "change settings that are currently unavailable" and below uncheck "turn on fast startup"

For whatever reason this is causing issues, and its not working properly as it should on other windows 8 pcs that I have.

This is really annoying as the SSD boots the system fast and I would like to shutdown the laptop, and cold boot.

My next quest: I did install some of the HP software thats for windows 7 64bit. But I still cant get all the HP FN buttons to work, brightness for example and the auto ambient light F11 does not work either.

6. blaze84

blaze84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here you'll find whatever you need.

7. afbbfa

afbbfa Newbie

Reputations:
    i didnt try yet, but since a lot people thank, im sure it works. thanks a lot, it was turlly a problem, and solving so simple :)

8. dineo

dineo Newbie

Reputations:
    Many thanks, great solution! Also works for Asus N56VZ using Amazon Caddy (Salcar brand)

9. orellius

orellius Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome huge thanks! 8560w

10. FrankTheCrank

FrankTheCrank Newbie

Reputations:
    BRAVO!!!

Used the method posted in the earlier part of this thread. My caddy was also bought on eBay from an outfit out of NY. After reimaging the laptop, I noticed it would not restart or shutdown without a hard power down. Did a little research and found this thread. Sure as shi-taki mushrooms :) this was the problem. I pulled apart the caddy and it matched exactly the pictures found on the first page of the thread. Once I saw how small the leads were, I was a bit intimidated, but after taking a good look at it, I snuck an exacto blade to the back of the that third trace and just popped it forward. The trace/wire came right up and off the board. Nice and clean. Popped the caddy back into my 8460p and was able to restart and shutdown without any problems.

I will definitely give a heads up to the seller of this item, if he cares. This was the second issue I had with this caddy. The first one being the crap bezel that came with it. Had to use the bezel from the optical drive.

Thank you guys for the help. Brilliant, just brilliant!