HP Elitebook 8560p Won't Shutdown

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by DrOscillator, Apr 3, 2012.

1. DrOscillator

DrOscillator Newbie

Reputations:
    In short - I replaced the DVD drive with a hard drive and now the laptop won't fully shut down.

I just got the Elitebook 8560p a week ago and have been very happy with it so far. Did a couple of upgrades right away since it was a fairly low-specced model from Microcenter. Added an extra 4GB RAM stick - no issues. Replaced the built-in 500GB HDD with a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, and did a clean Windows install - no issues. Removed the DVD drive from the "Upgrade Bay" and replaced it with the original 500GB Toshiba HDD to use as a secondary drive. Wiped all data on it and replaced with a single empty NTFS partition.

This is when I started having problems. The drive works great, and there are no noticeable errors when using the system. However, when I attempt to shut down the computer (Start -> Shutdown) Windows shuts down but the computer won't. The screen is completely blank, but the lights are still on and the fan is still spinning. I accidentally left it this way for a few hours and when I got to it the case was very hot (usually never heats up, even during heavy usage).

When I choose "Restart", it works correctly about 50% of the time, and the other 50% it hangs again. Shutdown always causes it to hang, requiring me to hold down the power button to fully turn it off. When I boot up again, if gives me the "Windows did not shut down properly" message with options for Safe Mode. I've already made sure all my drivers are up to date. I'm using the F.20 BIOS (don't want to update to F.22 due to SATA speed limit bug). Any suggestions?

2. centaurian

centaurian Newbie

Reputations:
    So... there is one thing missing - you didn't write which reduction to HDD do you use (HP original or caddy from Ebay or from another place).

I got one from Ebay in July last year. When it arrive, I found that caddy was for previous model and I had problems (same as you) with shutdown. After that I did some tests with more caddies for that guy from China and I find out that 8560w (and from what you say - 8560p too) have different pin connection [1] (-> Diagnostic SATA pin MUST NOT be connected to ground signal). I find solution by modifying circuit board of caddy [2], so that China guy did same modification to his caddies too. Now it works like charm.

First picture - bad circuit board.
    Second picture - modified board.

=> Get another caddy or modify its circuit board.

Attached Files:

Suxu, XSCounter, dovah and 5 others like this.
  3. DrOscillator

DrOscillator Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for your response! I've tried a million things with Windows 7 and BIOS configuration and was starting to give up hope.

I did get my caddy off eBay from a seller called NYComputek so perhaps that is the issue. (New 2nd hard drive Caddy For HP EliteBook 8460p 8560p 8760p | eBay)

Could you clarify the circuitboard modifications you made? In the second image, it looks like you simply bent back / disconnected the 3rd pin from the right (the one with the red "Manufacturing diagnostic" line). What tool did you use to do this? Are any other changes necessary?

Alternatively, could you recommend where I could buy a caddy that you know works correctly?

Thanks again!

4. centaurian

centaurian Newbie

Reputations:
  5. dav_jw

dav_jw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm having the same problem with an Elitebook 8460p and a random ebay caddy which I purchased a few years ago. I'm gonna try this, I'll edit this post with the results.

Edit: I just did the modification you suggested, it seems to be working! The board is my caddy was identical to the one in the picture you posted, I just desoldered the pin and removed it.

Thanks for the tip!

6. centaurian

centaurian Newbie

Reputations:
    That's good. It seems that all 8*60* models have this problem.

7. DrOscillator

DrOscillator Newbie

Reputations:
    It worked, thanks centaurian! I took apart the caddy and removed that 3rd pin using an exacto knife and tweezers, now the laptop shuts down fine every time. It even gave me a chance to replace the generic caddy bevel with the original DVD bevel. Thanks again!

8. trott33

trott33 Newbie

Reputations:
    This worked great for me too on my 8460p, I also bought my expansion bay off of ebay. I just wanted to post and say Thanks. It was a huge help!!!

9. heychris

heychris Newbie

Reputations:
    I took the caddy from my 2540p and put it in my 2560p and have had this issue as well. I wonder if mine have a connection there.

10. heychris

heychris Newbie

Reputations:
    I confirmed that my multi-week nightmare was indeed this specific issue. A 2560p certainly needs to have the diagnostic lead disconnected.

Thanks for the help!