*HP EliteBook 8560p Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Yoshimeow, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MME1122

MME1122 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

I just recently discovered this forum. I have an 8560p with a 2.7GHz 2620m, Radeon 6470m, and the Hitachi 320gb hdd.

I see that there are some issues with fan noise and I must say mine is quite loud as well. I brought it up to the hp technician we have around and he tried to tell me that the machine has a very strong fan to cool the high powered components, and that the surface that the notebook is on will sometimes cause it to generate more noise.
    I recently noticed that at maximum fan speed, the excessive noise will occasionally diminish, and the fan sounds more like it should. Most of the time, it sounds as is its vibrating or hitting something. I'm going to talk to the technician again and I'll keep you guys updated.

Also, I see that the question of SATA II and III support was brought up multiple times. I am also wondering if these machines have support for SATA III, whether for the primary bay or the upgrade bay. Does anyone have an answer?

2. MuF

MuF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for me, I do clean windows reinstall on my own, I don't do any "recoveries", so that's why I will wipe the drive as the first thing to do.

hp recovery will recover your pc to state as when you bought it.

windows recovery can rollback bad driver installation, bad other software installation that prevents windows from booting. it will rollback some changes, but it the windows stays as it was, more or less.

3. justinkw1

justinkw1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  4. seyed

seyed Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I just bought an EliteBook 8560p (LG731ET) i5 2540m at 2.6 GHz, and have some questions.
    I have a 320 GB 7200 rpm HDD and want to replace it with a Crucial M4.

Does anyone do this ? Any issue with this change ?
    It seems that the chipset QM67 has a major bug with SATA III SSDs (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardwa...does-not-recognize-my-SSD/td-p/827647/page/1).

I have a HD display 1366x768 and want to change it with a HD+ (1600x900) or FHD model (1920x1080).
    I checked the brand and model of my display with Aida64 (Display/Monitor), it seems to be a Chi Mei M156B6-L0A CMO15A1.

If you have a HD+ or FHD display, could you please try this software and tell me what is your monitor name ?

5. xxxesx

xxxesx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello fellow Elitebook owners,

Has anyone been able to fix the fan noise issues with 8560p? I tried Speedfan, and it will show me the temperatures, but there does not seem to be option to actually control the fans. I also tried to install TPfancontrol to do the trick, but was only able to get core fan to run on full speed - didn't try to tweak the settings too much yet though.

If someone could have any advice on making this notebook a bit more silent, I would be very happy. I bought the machine for mobile audio work, and I have been very disappointed on how badly the noise issues have been handled by HP.

6. xplane9

xplane9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree. With TPFanControl set to bios mode, the fan runs on a constant, very slow speed. This is acceptable, but the fan will continue to run at this speed regardless of load. Temperatures on the laptop are about 40 - 50 C, and while the normal idle fan speed is fine, I find it annoying that it has to cycle every now and then. Even worse, it seems that it tends to spike up in speed before slowing, as opposed to a gentle increase in fan speed when needed. I have a base model i5 with AMD if you are interested.

7. Ferdus

Ferdus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I bought a HP EliteBook 8560p some days ago. For the disturbing fan noise I found a remedy (not perfect but quite good):

When you enter these commands in the command line (run as admin), you will get additional CPU power settings within the advanced power settings:

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 7b224883-b3cc-4d79-819f-8374152cbe7c -ATTRIB_HIDE
    powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 4b92d758-5a24-4851-a470-815d78aee119 -ATTRIB_HIDE
    powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 12a0ab44-fe28-4fa9-b3bd-4b64f44960a6 -ATTRIB_HIDE
    powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 3b04d4fd-1cc7-4f23-ab1c-d1337819c4bb -ATTRIB_HIDE
    powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 40fbefc7-2e9d-4d25-a185-0cfd8574bac6 -ATTRIB_HIDE
    powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 4b92d758-5a24-4851-a470-815d78aee119 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Fan behaviour of EliteBook 8560p when plugged in and when on... - HP Support Forum

Within these settings I adjusted the behaviour under AC according to the behaviour when on battery. It seems to me that the fan activity is reduced, although from time to time the fan still starts spinning like a bolt from the blue.

Well, my EliteBook works with the Radeon HD 6470 M video card. What would happen if I deactivate this graphic card via the device manager? Would the PC automatically use the cpu internal video resources? Or would the screen go black and no way to activate the graphic card again? Does this graphic card come with an own, second fan?

Someone wrote here that the tool TPFanControl would allow to deactivate the fan completly and this would not hurt the notebook. Is this correct?

8. Ferdus

Ferdus Newbie

Reputations:
    What do you think: Would HP issue an improved BIOS (UEFI) when we ask for the implementation of a better fan behaviour ("gentle increase in fan speed when needed")?

P.S. In the meantime I asked HP for an update of the BIOS. Let's see what they respond...

BTW: Is it only the EliteBook 8560p with ATI Radeon HD 6470 M video card which troubles some users and the other 8560p's without additional ATI video card do not make these problems?
    What is about other HP EliteBooks, e.g. the 8460p (14'')?

9. Ferdus

Ferdus Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anybody know how to modify the 8560p DSDT file in order to change the "thermal zones"...?

10. zaran

zaran Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

im planning to buy me a elitebook8560p.
    Currently i own a 2540p and i am very happy with it.
    But my work has changed, so i need a bit more power and display.

but, before i invest my money in a new notebook, there are some questions
    left to ask...

1. Which kind of RAM do i need to buy?
    i want the notebook from my retailer with 2gb ram, so i can do the upgrade
    to 16 gb on my own (maybe cheaper?)

2. what about a SSD? Can i use any of them?

3. What about the AMD Graphic Card, is it good enough for light tasks in CAD?

4. Fan Speed... Is this issue fixed in the new bios version?

thanx in advantage...

zaran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.