*HP EliteBook 8540w Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by process, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockyjones48

rockyjones48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I received my shipping notice this morning. Estimated delivery is Friday, May 14. Soon we'll know what the Firepro W5800 will do!

Joe

2. TechAnimal

TechAnimal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Woooohoooo!

3. Intoxicate

Intoxicate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1) I switched the panels of my T510 and my 8540w. Panelswitching is almost as easy as changing the HDD. You don't need to open the bottemcase at all! Just remove the bezel and loosening a few screw. Then you can slightly lift the panel from the display cover, remove the display connector... vice versa for installing the new panel. First time I did this it took around 20min. Last time (when I changed the panels to original state) it only took 10min.

2) Works flawless for me, after doing a Win 7 64bit clean install. You need to install the HP Security Manager, it has all the needed drivers and tools to set the fingerprint reader up. With those tools it's real pleasure to use, actually it's the first fingerprint system I really even use for websites.

This has been already posted days before ;)

Can't wait to see the results!!

4. semicolin

semicolin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I found the discrepancy in the whole thing on battery life about me getting around 5 hours for battery life (sometimes) to your 3 hours normal battery life. I have a 73wh battery, while you probably have the long-life battery (i think its 63wh). If on average you can get the computer around 15 watts, that would mean on my battery I would get around 4.86 hours and you would get 4.2 ish With 18 watts I get 4 hours and you would get 3.5. This is a significant difference. So in the short run my battery would last longer, but probably after a year or so your "long-life" battery would out do mine.

5. wdadams

wdadams Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody know how the display outputs on the HP 230W Docking Station work? My 8540w with FX1800 arrives in a couple of days and I got the docking station with it. The docking station has DVI and display port outputs. Are they mirrored or should I be able to hook 2 different monitors to it (1 DVI, 1 dp) and extend the desktop to both? If they ARE separate outputs, what do you get when the laptop is open, would I have 3 displays in that case?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks

6. Intoxicate

Intoxicate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have two independent displayports, so you can connect 2 monitors. Those will only work when you turn off the notebooks screen. NVidia Cards only support 2 monitors, if you need more than that, you'll need a ATI card. ATI supports up to 6 Monitors (notebook editions probably only 3).

7. raptorous_g4

raptorous_g4 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am a network admin for an automotive design company. I use the 8540w i7 2.66, 4GB ram, FX 880 Build myself and it works flawless on 7 x64. I have 8 windows XP 32 8540w's I just imaged and every single one works ok when you power up off teh Docking station... When you reboot on the docking station it boots to a black screen and will not go any further.. Has anyone ran into this? i'm pulling my hair out trying to fix this. Tried Bios update.. GFX drivers.. only thing I can think of is the sata mode I am using native AHCI mode with oem hp drivers. Used OEM HP XP sp3 install media.

Thanks for any input!!

- Savo

8. wdadams

wdadams Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually, that's the Advanced Docking Station (2 display ports). I'm getting the regular one that has 1 display port and 1 DVI. I would guess it would work the same though (I hope).

9. raptorous_g4

raptorous_g4 Newbie

Reputations:

FIXED*****

================================================

boot the laptop, dock it, open Device Manager; uninstall BOTH Communication Port (COM1)'s, then rescan for new devices, it will reinstall one COM port, then reboot.

===================================================

10. bait

bait Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    argh i found 2 stuck pixels i didn't notice before...now that i've noticed them, i can't not look that way. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.