*HP EliteBook 8540w Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by process, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d3d-design

d3d-design Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answers.. :)

2. TechAnimal

TechAnimal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone else having issues with the 8540w CTO page? I can browse the entire HP site but get some error when I try to configure the 8540. Hopefully this means something good ;)

3. Intoxicate

Intoxicate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Now that we can order the ATI Fire Pro it's time to get the ne Core i7s!

I'm looking forward the Intel Core i7 840QM, 1,83GHz native clock up to 3,2GHz, with 45W!! Amazing!

4. rockyjones48

rockyjones48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I still don't have email confirmation of shipment tomorrow but we'll see if that comes soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

5. GuitarManiac

GuitarManiac Newbie

Reputations:
    I too noticed the USA site was down yesterday but I logged on today to check a customized build and.....

'ATI FirePro M5800 with 1GB DDR3 video memory'

Was listed as an option for $400 less than the NvidiaFX1800M!

Now if it would only come to Canada....

6. hojac

hojac Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to buy a docking station for my 8540w laptop. How does one determine which to get the 120w or the 230w advanced docking station?

7. treydur

treydur Newbie

Reputations:
    hi

just got my 8540W Friday and overall like it quite a bit. However, I could not find one with the resolution I really wanted so settled for the 1600 x 900 and do not care for it. Coming off of what we now call FHD+ I guess, or what is really 1080p I have lost a lot of real estate. If anyone has experience swapping panels on HP elitebooks, I would like to hear about it. I am going to try to keep this the complete 3 years, but not with this screen.

That and the keyboard, not sure if the keyboard is not hot, it's just using a thinkpad for years, there isn't any other keyboard quite like them.

I have two problems. I also have the once asleep and coming back awake, the fan runs full blast.....annoying, but not the end of the world.

THe one that cost me tons of time was I could never get the fingerprint scanner to work correctly in Win7 64. It installed, appeared to run, but duing training, i would successfully scan a print, then another, then it would start giving me an error saying 'this fingerprint already enrolled', but would never let me move forward or past that. I had thought maybe it was a pemissions issue, but did not seem to be. SO, this this machine had to go to work early this morning, I am stuck with win 7 pro 32, which is ok, but I am losing memory obviously.

Did anyone get the fingerprint scanner to work correctly in x64 and if, did you do anything 'differant' than i did. which was clean fresh install, update all the the HP drivers, then all the windows drivers ?

Lastly, what is status of next bios release that will hopefully correct the silly fan issue ?

I have the quad core with 4GB, crazy fast boot and shut downs....who woudl have thought HP made anything like this. I wouldn't have known if I could have found a W510 loaded in this configuration.

8. gringo_cro

gringo_cro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Had same problem with fingerprint sensor on my 8540w win 7 x64, left index finger enrolled succesfuly after about 10 tries, but couldn't enroll right index finger, then i tried enrolling it by moving it forward (away from me) and it worked like a charm, strange. Now if i want to log on with right finger i need to enroll it by moving it forward and if i want to log on with left index finger i need to enroll it backward (toward myself). Funny
    I noticed when i install protect tools windows 7 needs more time to boot, so i uninstalled protect tools because i don't need that much of a security anyway.

9. gringo_cro

gringo_cro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Fela

Fela Newbie

Reputations:
    Heh, that's actually the store where i ordered. After reading about the 2 slot issue here i phoned HP and after confirmation told the shop so they added the (2x8GB) part.

I'm not quite convinced yet that fix made sense though - can the board even support 8GB DIMMs? (Provided they will eventually be available..)

As a consequence I also switched my order to a W510 which seems to be the only available option with 4 DIMM slots and can't say i'm comfortable with that decision so far. However, I'm not optimistic that HP germany will in time (or ever for that matter) offer a preconfigured 8540w with i7-820 and M5800, which would cause me to switch back to them in a heartbeat. The ATI GPU is not even listed in their german specifications :(.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.