*HP EliteBook 8540w Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by process, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brunni

Brunni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. Hmm when you say I should be able to get my system under 15W I don't understand. In fact we don't know what is actually drawing so much power, maybe it's the USB3 controller, the NIC, the screen, etc. chances that it's something we can replace are weak, right? (except maybe for the hard drive)
    But yeah I'm really wondering how they could get it under 10W...

2. semicolin

semicolin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can get the computer to be around 12~13W, I got this without wifi and barely doing anything....aka that is why it is max 5h 30min. I am basically only editing a word document, but more-so reading it. If you want I can take a screen shot. But yeah, like i said 3h 30min is pretty much average.

3. bait

bait Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i've noticed that with an RF receiver plugged into any usb port, there is a high-pitched electrical noise being emitted. it doesn't happen on my fujitsu. it almost sounds like a cpu whine. anyone else notice/experience this?

edit: ok i guess it's not receiver related because it's happened without it being plugged in as well. i hope it's not another case of cpu whine...

4. me7

me7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a real problem with the audio driver. Because of the fan noise bug after sleep mode, I usually use hibernation when I turn my 8540w off while some processes (like video encoding) aren't finished. After some days of usage I encountered strange crashes while doing so: the notebook suddenly needed several minutes to go to hibernate and while it did turn itself off, it didn't shut Windows down properly. After turning it on again Windows informed me that it crashed the last time it was used and asked me whether I want boot in safe mode. This didn't happen every time but painfully often.

After some more days of usage Windows needed longer to boot, switched Aero off by itself and always seemed to crash when I tried to shut it down (I don't know for sure because it was shutting down for several minutes and I always switched the notebook off via power button since I didn't have the patience to wait - maybe it would have shut down properly after some minutes).
    I noticed a sound related problem in the Windows log so I reinstalled the audio driver and everything went back to normal - at least for some days. Then the same thing happened again.

This time I removed the audio driver and used the default Windows audio driver instead. No more problems since then.
    Has anyone here experienced similar problems or is there someone who uses hibernation regularly and has no issues?

5. semicolin

semicolin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use hibernation quite regularly, and I have had no issues at all. This is with the IDT audio driver (aka the one from hp). I am running windows 7 x64.

6. me7

me7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes that driver, running Win7 x64 as well.

7. Intoxicate

Intoxicate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know a fast way to switch between the IDT audio output and the NVidia Output. When I plug my 8540w vie DP2HDMI to my TV I want the NVidia Card to send audio via the HDMI cable, works fine. But when I switch to the external Monitor (pull of the DP2HDMI adapter and plug in a DP cable) I want sound from the IDT audio device/Laptop. I know I can switch in the windows sound settings, but that's not very handy :(

8. audioworld

audioworld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here are some measurements of battery life and temperatures:

Web Browsing over WIFI, some Flash video, screen at 86% brightness;
    Usage time to shutdown: 2h58m
    Power Meter: 19W min - 25W max
    Temperatures max.:
    CPU1=54C (129F)
    CPU2=57C (136F)
    GPU=56C (132F)

Watching DVD, screen 86%:
    usage time=2h42m

9. me7

me7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Right click on the speaker symbol in the task bar and select playback devices is not handy enough?

10. Intoxicate

Intoxicate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was more hoping I can preset some configurations, so it switches the device anytime I plug a specific device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.